Sox to sign Vincente Padilla

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from npmalk. Show npmalk's posts

Sox to sign Vincente Padilla

From MLBtraderumors.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla

Good move, dumpster profiles on the cheap is the way to approach first half. The summer will provide bad economy teams and a fire sale trade market with better value for starting pitching depth. The Red Sox already have pumped over 50 million in MLBPA bums, who need to start producing and be ready for work every day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"psst!....Vincente was the guy in the painting with his ear cut off."

Padilla spells his name without the first 'n'...Vicente.

Just to help you avoid future embarrassment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Is there another option besides hiring players who are members of the MLBPA?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Sox to sign Vincente Padilla:
    I like the signing. Another option is never a bad thing. If healthy and touching 95/96 why not. If he cannot crack the starting rotation he will be used out of the pen. Sox can score runs with the best of them so it makes sense to secure pitching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i have mentioned before that i think that the sox should sign even a couple of more of these padilla type guys.

low money, low risk.  pawtucket rotation if nothing else.  maybe not real high rewards but certainly could be.  the yankees got that high reward last year with their two scrap heap guys.

sign 6 or 7 similar guys a year and maybe two of them pay off at some time during the season.

i hope the scouts are still out there looking for a couple of more of these guys.  it is always easy to build a couple more mounds down there in florida for them to throw off of when they all get there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

INTERESTING  !!!   GO FOR IT, BENNY-BOY !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Would rather it be Harden, but I guess Harden wants a major league contract.

Padilla has the same skill set as Aceves, in terms of being a good option to provide long relief and spot starts.  Maybe this frees up Aceves to be a starter, if he proves ready to be effective that way in sprin;, or maybe this frees up Aceves to return to his role, if Padilla proves ready to be the 5th starter in spring.

Just not sure of this guy's mental/emotional makeup (kind of like Aceves in that way too).  Let's all (except the yankee boggers here) hope Padilla is 2012's Alfredo Aceves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Sorry but I saw enough of this in 2009 with Penny, Smoltz, Saito, Baldelli and all the other throwaways we signed that year. We are not a pauper team, if these guys are in addition to a trade for Garza and an Oswalt signing then okay. But not alone.

In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla:
    i have mentioned before that i think that the sox should sign even a couple of more of these padilla type guys. low money, low risk.  pawtucket rotation if nothing else.  maybe not real high rewards but certainly could be.  the yankees got that high reward last year with their two scrap heap guys. sign 6 or 7 similar guys a year and maybe two of them pay off at some time during the season. i hope the scouts are still out there looking for a couple of more of these guys.  it is always easy to build a couple more mounds down there in florida for them to throw off of when they all get there.
    Posted by charliedarling

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

As far as I know, $176 mil. is still the second highest payroll in MLB. Does anyone have updated payroll figures?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Is it possible to get a pitcher that isn't plagued with health issues?
    I guess the answer is no, unless you spend the money or trade to move payroll.
    The Sox have two players they could trade, Youk and Scutaro in order to free up some cash. I suppose that neither would draw any interest however.

I think one way of looking at how good our team looks is to determine value of our players in the eyes of other teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Is it possible to get a pitcher that isn't plagued with health issues? I guess the answer is no, unless you spend the money or trade to move payroll. The Sox have two players they could trade, Youk and Scutaro in order to free up some cash. I suppose that neither would draw any interest however. I think one way of looking at how good our team looks is to determine value of our players in the eyes of other teams.
    Posted by Alibiike

Do you and AL34 just get back from the Pensacola Bocci Ball Tournament?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

These guys in the photo look healthier than all the guys Ben signed in the off season.

In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla : Do you and AL34 just get back from the Pensacola Bocci Ball Tournament?
    Posted by UticaClub

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Is there another option besides hiring players who are members of the MLBPA?

I'm not sure there any left since the retirement of Kevin Millar.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Just not sure of this guy's mental/emotional makeup (kind of like Aceves in that way too).  Let's all (except the yankee boggers here) hope Padilla is 2012's Alfredo Aceves.
    Posted by parhunter1

I'm a fan stockpiling as many arms as possible, but Padilla's mental stability really worries me.   My understanding is that he is a real head case.  I don't really like the guy, but since he's signed with the Sox, I have no choice but to hope for the best with him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hey, anyone know Colon's cell number? Get a hold of him and have him send his witch doctor to ST with a shipment of "treatment materials" so we can salvage some of these guys off the scrap heap. If he balks, offer him a donut factory and a lifetime supply of sausages.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Hey, anyone know Colon's cell number? Get a hold of him and have him send his witch doctor to ST with a shipment of "treatment materials" so we can salvage some of these guys off the scrap heap. If he balks, offer him a donut factory and a lifetime supply of sausages.
    Posted by TheExaminer

He signed with the A's. Liked their buffet table variety better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Is it possible to get a pitcher that isn't plagued with health issues? I guess the answer is no, unless you spend the money or trade to move payroll. The Sox have two players they could trade, Youk and Scutaro in order to free up some cash. I suppose that neither would draw any interest however. I think one way of looking at how good our team looks is to determine value of our players in the eyes of other teams.
    Posted by Alibiike

At least his health issues are not his arm, shoulder or elbow.  I think this is definately a wise move on Ben's part.  I have a great deal more confidence in Padilla panning out than either Cook or Silva but time will tell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I remember, it seems like to me that Padilla was tough every time we faced him. I remember him totally shutting us down at Fenway a couple years ago. So he's got it in him, remains to be seen how much and how often.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

I am so tired of hearing about what the Yanks got out of Colon and Garcia last year. How many cases are there of teams getting that kind of production out of two reclamation projects at the same time? Plus, they only went that route after being rebuffed by Lee, despite making the most lucrative offer for him. Then they made a concerted effort to get Felix. And, by the way, if it was such a smashing success then why didn't they repeat the same strategy themselves this year? The truth is that the Sox FO appears to have decided to prioritize resetting the tax rate this season over winning. If Bobby V can work miracles with cast-offs then great. Otherwise we'll just sacrifice the season and give up a year of the primes of Gonzalez, Pedroia, Ellsbury, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I cannot argue with you about the Sox FO prioritizing the tax rate over spending big on FA, but my guess is that they feel they can do that (stay under the tax threshold) AND still win.  And, if they are duking it out in July and need to go over the threshold by a bit to shore up some glaring need, I would bet they do it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

These guys in the photo look healthier than all the guys Ben signed in the off season. In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla :
    Posted by AL34

seriously, this literally made me LOL.....we wish our Red Sox pitchers looked this fit...imagine Jenks, Beergut Beckett, bloated Lester, and Lackey trying to look this slim in a wife beater????

thanks for the good laugh -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Good move, dumpster profiles on the cheap is the way to approach first half. The summer will provide bad economy teams and a fire sale trade market with better value for starting pitching depth. The Red Sox already have pumped over 50 million in MLBPA bums, who need to start producing and be ready for work every day.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Ah, so it's a union issue.  Brilliant insight, as usual.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I cannot argue with you about the Sox FO prioritizing the tax rate over spending big on FA, but my guess is that they feel they can do that (stay under the tax threshold) AND still win.  And, if they are duking it out in July and need to go over the threshold by a bit to shore up some glaring need, I would bet they do it.
    Posted by parhunter1

Par - I'd bet - and hope - they don't do that.  Either stay under or massively bust it, but to go over by a bit would likely cost them many millions in the future.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Terrible.  What a punk.  Bad idea Ben.........

Sections
Shortcuts