Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread

In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread:
    [QUOTE]It seems that any criticism of the manager is " Frowned upon in this establishment."
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Not "any criticism," dgale, but constant criticism.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LondonRedSox. Show LondonRedSox's posts

Frown

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]It seems that any criticism of the manager is " Frowned upon in this establishment."
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE] Nah, the best one I saw tonight was to have intentionally walked Thome and go to a RH. But then again Aceves wasn't sharp and Albers pitched last night and they really are trying to avoid 80+ appearances for Bard. But that at least wasn't "he left Lester in because he wants the players to like him".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

You need a smart phone........With a Francona ap. Wanted to post one more thing tonight to get to 1900. Need some small victory to counterbalance this horrendous one game losing streak I was forced to cast my eye upon this unfortunate eveing. Night all....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread : Not "any criticism," dgale, but constant criticism.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

I know. Just trying to add a little humor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Wait, now I'm at 1900.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread : Funny, Lloyd.  The second guessers are out in full force now, and I keep thinking about Bill Simmons BJ line from the article I posted last night.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

That was the greatest line ever ... only wish we could repost it verbatim here.

And it's so true ... some of these people could be eating a steak dinner on a beach in Maui with a bikini-clad Jennifer Aniston, who promises to do whatever they want, with an endless supply of beer in the cooler ... and they'd find something to complain about.

"Hey, Jennifer, what's with all the sand on this beach? And could  you put something on?".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread : Nah, the best one I saw tonight was to have intentionally walked Thome and go to a RH. But then again Aceves wasn't sharp and Albers pitched last night and they really are trying to avoid 80+ appearances for Bard. But that at least wasn't "he left Lester in because he wants the players to like him".
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Everyone wants to be liked.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread : That was the greatest line ever ... only wish we could repost it verbatim here. And it's so true ... some of these people could be eating a steak dinner on a beach in Maui with a bikini-clad Jennifer Aniston, who promises to do whatever they want, with an endless supply of beer in the cooler ... and they'd find something to complain about. "Hey, Jennifer, what's with all the sand on this beach? And could  you put something on?".
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Or, Jennifer ,  " Why the bikini?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread : Or, Jennifer ,  " Why the bikini?"
    Now THAT'S a valid complaint!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll say this: The umpiring in this series was crap. Not saying for a second that's why we lost tonight, but McClellan last night and whoever the guy was tonight were awful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox/Twins Wednesday night game thread : Everyone wants to be liked.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]Except Bill Belichick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I don't want to be liked, it's a formula for dishonesty.

I guess the Ellsbury MVP talk will have to take a day or two off. Of course, Ortiz as a Dh can't be an MVP candidate becuase he's a Dh. Dh's aren't eligible and are inferior player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Several years ago Ortiz and A-Rod, by then a Yankee, were having great years, and the Globe asked for opinions on who should be MVP.  I said A-Rod for two reasons:  he played 3B; he played in more games (just one more, I think).  Ortiz is still a very good hitter, but I just can't see voting for a DH as MVP as long as there are position players with seasons as good or almost as good.

In this case, Ortiz's numbers aren't all that great.  AGon is having a much better year, and I think even Pedroia is having a better year.  Ellsbury, batting leadoff, has almost as many rbi's and way more runs scored. 

Ortiz doesn't need to be an MVP candidate to be valuable to this team, which he is.  Last night was just one more example of why that is so, even though the Sox lost. 

The Ellsbury MVP talk is just that, something Bob Ryan wrote about on a slow day.  And, really, the point of his article was to show that leadoff hitters had in fact been voted in as MVP in the past.    I personally don't like the Ellsbury MVP talk because I think it's a distraction, plus I can't support MVP for a one year wonder.  Right now, I don't think Jake is even the best centerfielder in the AL, let alone the MVP.  But he is having a terrific year, one that is benefitting both him and his team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]PAPI the equalizer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Awesome show, J-Bay. Edward Woodward, rest his tormented soul, waa so perfect...

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts