Sox under luxury tax threshold in 2012??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Sox under luxury tax threshold in 2012??

just read this from yahoo.com:

2012 final payroll: $168.6 million

if this number is accurate then that would mean we were under the tax threshold in 2012 and the tax was reset.

the article itself is meh, but that one bit about the 2012 payroll threw me off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no--19-red-sox--free-of--most--awful-contracts--flexible-red-sox-can-be-optimistic-075301603.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox under luxury tax threshold in 2012??

Yes. We were very close to the limit, but then we traded AGon, CC, Beckett and Punto and went below.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

angels and texas spent almost as much if not more and didn't make the post season either...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Very impressive, 168 million for less than 70 season wins. Labor should be sued for failure of consideration.

Anyone would take what these players were offered.

It's the owners and managers who should be sued.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

angels and texas spent almost as much if not more and didn't make the post season either...

Texas made the playoffs, you big dope!

i forgot :p

Everyones gotta make a mistake sometime :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Texas made the playoffs, you big dope!

i forgot :p

Everyones gotta make a mistake sometime :)

Yes, we do.  But only Stiffy isn't man enough to admit it.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

That Adrian Gonzalez trade was huge. It completely reset this team. It helped us rebuild a year faster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, not anyone "would take" what these players were offered and mail it in and drink beer and not hold their sorry union members accountable.

You should be sued for attempting to defame the owners.

The owners signed these union slugs. Other owners signed players who cared.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, not anyone "would take" what these players were offered and mail it in and drink beer and not hold their sorry union members accountable.

You should be sued for attempting to defame the owners.

The owners signed these union slugs. Other owners signed players who cared.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

That Adrian Gonzalez trade was huge. It completely reset this team. It helped us rebuild a year faster.

The problem is, we didn't. We just put it off to next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't agree that the Sox just procrastinated.  You might end up being correct that the Sox' strategy this winter was flawed...but I think their strategy was clear - and hopefully correct - given the circumstance i.e.:

• Trust in our prospects.  Not just our normal basket of draft picks, but the huge additional windfall from Beltre, VMart and the Dodgers deal (Owens, Barnes, Bradley, Swihart, de la Rosa and Webster).  That's on top of our allotted picks! 
    • No reasonably priced mid-to-long term options, esp. given our lack of healthy, peak performing young vets to trade for youth.  Sell low on Ells/Lester/etc?  No way.
    • Put a competitive team on the field cheaply (in terms of picks/prospects).

I believe that was the Sox' strategy, I think they executed it very well, and I agree with it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I don't agree that the Sox just procrastinated.  You might end up being correct that the Sox' strategy this winter was flawed...but I think their strategy was clear - and hopefully correct - given the circumstance i.e.:

• Trust in our prospects.  Not just our normal basket of draft picks, but the huge additional windfall from Beltre, VMart and the Dodgers deal (Owens, Barnes, Bradley, Swihart, de la Rosa and Webster).  That's on top of our allotted picks! 
    • No reasonably priced mid-to-long term options, esp. given our lack of healthy, peak performing young vets to trade for youth.  Sell low on Ells/Lester/etc?  No way.

I believe that was the Sox' strategy, I think they executed it very well, and I agree with it. 

Well stated post. I agree with your analysis, the windfall has been built on a consistent approach. It has put the Sox in a good position  regarding the farm system and given them financial flexibility. Build a team with veterans, major league ready prospects and a pricey free agent if it fills a need in the near term.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How many of the optimists here felt good about our team last January?

I'd say most were more excited last winter than this, after all, we were the best team in MLB into August of 2011. The hope was that injuries would lessen, and the top 3 starting pitchers (Beckett, Lester, and Buch) would do something they had never done before: all stay healthy and pitch well at the same time for a full season.

It's easy to look back now and see that our team was seriously flawed last year. Even if we had a few less injuries, we weren't going to win with that roation.

I'm sorry if I do not share the renewed optimism that this winter has seemed to bring to so many here. We are not better on paper than we were on paper last January. Yes, we are better on paper than the final results of 2012, but how many times will we keep convincing ourselves that we can get by with a faulty starting rotation. For years, I have been advocating us getting a solid 1/2 slot starter, but I still thought we were good enough to win 95+ games and make a strong push for ring. I realize now that I was kidding myself. I thought I was being "realistic" and objective, but it was ultimately wishful thinking. 

I'm not falling into that trap this year. Our starting pitching has serious flaws... more so than even the last few years. I can't see the roses. Sorry.