SOX vs. YANKEES: Which team is in worse shape?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

SOX vs. YANKEES: Which team is in worse shape?

I am sure many will say the Sox for many reasons: they blow wild card lead, they fire the manager, first base coach fired, Theo perpahs on the move, drinking in the clubhouse..... So it would make sense to say the Sox. But wait. The Yankees have there own issues: CC up for grabs, AJ is no number 1, or 2 or 3 starter. Will Swisher stay? A-rod might be just in it for the paycheck now, Tex: is he on a downward slide? His average was pretty low this season. What do they do with Posada? Is Girardi's job secure?

It will be quite an offseason for both teams. And I don't want to hear how happy you Yankee fans were to be just in it. I am not buying it. They lost again in the first round. That can't be acceptable by NY standards.

And both teams failed after spending all that money. It just should prove to Sox brass it ain't always money that wins championships.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4417092. Show user_4417092's posts

Re: SOX vs. YANKEES: Which team is in worse shape?

In Response to SOX vs. YANKEES: Which team is in worse shape?:
    I am sure many will say the Sox for many reasons: they blow wild card lead, they fire the manager, first base coach fired, Theo perpahs on the move, drinking in the clubhouse..... So it would make sense to say the Sox. But wait. The Yankees have there own issues: CC up for grabs, AJ is no number 1, or 2 or 3 starter. Will Swisher stay? A-rod might be just in it for the paycheck now, Tex: is he on a downward slide? His average was pretty low this season. What do they do with Posada? Is Girardi's job secure? It will be quite an offseason for both teams. And I don't want to hear how happy you Yankee fans were to be just in it. I am not buying it. They lost again in the first round. That can't be acceptable by NY standards. And both teams failed after spending all that money. It just should prove to Sox brass it ain't always money that wins championships.
    Posted by antiqueman1

I would assume the Red Sox have some questions for the Starting Pictures after watching this Video

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl9usa_kevin-fowler-hell-yeah-i-like-beer_music

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I think the sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Based on the embarassing collapse down the strech, I have to say the Sox. This was supposed to be our year but the key players were not so key when it mattered. Aside from Pedey & Ells this team needs to add some players that have heart and want to win. Winning the AL East is something to be earned not an entitlement. Sure we had some injuries but so did all of the other teams. This team needs more players that are like the ones from the '04 team. Guys that know how to win and want to. It won't be easy to unload some of the dead wood with the big contracts, but something needs to be done or we may see a repeat of this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Winning the division is nice, but really, come on. It is about getting to the WS and winning it all for the Sox and Yankees. And the Yanks failed to do so with that payroll. The Yankees have some glaring issues as do the Sox. We shall see what happens.

Hey Null. Were you at the game?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Baseball, and many industries, go in cycles. Pehraps Tampa Bay and Toronto will rule the AL East for a few years.

The Red Sox went 10 years (1976-85) without advancing to the postseason and the Yankees went 13 years (1982-94) without advancing to the postseason. I doubt we'll see a drought of those durations, but neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees are assured of being permanent fixtures in the postseason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Null, that is a catchy song. Kind of funny. I wonder how many other team drink in the clubhouse?

I would say the SOX have the edge, but after that loss last night, the Yankees have their own set of issues to deal with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4417092. Show user_4417092's posts

In Response to Re: SOX vs. YANKEES: Which team is in worse shape?:
    Winning the division is nice, but really, come on. It is about getting to the WS and winning it all for the Sox and Yankees. And the Yanks failed to do so with that payroll. The Yankees have some glaring issues as do the Sox. We shall see what happens. Hey Null. Were you at the game?
    Posted by antiqueman1

Not sure what you are asking, There are 5 Red Sox pitchers in the video Lackey, Beckett, Lester, Buch(can't spell his name) and Wakefield.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

I just think both have simular issues.  Both have no deep starting pitching staffs, lack of hearts, no 3B (both Youkilis/A-Rod are hurting), RF hole if Yankees decide not to pick up option on Swisher, need a DH (supposely Papi sign with another team).

In someway, it is not good for one club to another cuz both would probably looking for same guys such as both Boston/Yankees may want CJ Wilson and Edwin Jackson or both Yankees/Boston would want to get rid of a bad contract like Lackey/Burnett, both may want a decent DH/RF, etc.

Had Yankees won the world series this year, I would probably think that the Yankees would not be too aggressive during the winter meeting just like they did it after the 2009 world series.  I think that they were lucky to win the 2009 world series cuz Yankees had an easier path to the world series after facing Twins and Angels.  Too bad Boston was knocked out in the first round where they would give the Yankees a hard time in the ACLS.

Now the Yankees are done, and know the American League teams such as Texas, Detriot, Boston, Tampa, etc all are much stronger than they were two years ago.  So therefore, the Yankees know that, and they will be very aggressive during the winter meeting.  Bad news is that they have way too many bad contracts such as Texeria, A-Rod, Jeter, Martin, Burnett, CC, etc.  I am not sure if they are willing to go as high as 250 millions dollars payroll!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: SOX vs. YANKEES: Which team is in worse shape? : Not sure what you are asking, There are 5 Red Sox pitchers in the video Lackey, Beckett, Lester, Buch(can't spell his name) and Wakefield.
    Posted by null

Funny video. Yes, I am sure they will have to answer for it. I was not asking about any of the Sox. I watched and saw them. I was only wondering if the drinking in the clubhouse goes on with other teams as well.

I was responding to another about being ok with the Yankees season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I certainly think that both teams has some serious issues and they are compounded by some seriously bad contracts. The worst being the A-Rod silliness, which unfortunately I do not believe they will ever be able to get out of.

How this plays out, I don't know. Neither team is forced to be imaginitive because they have money to spend. unfortunately, quick money fixes don't always pan out.

Time to take a break from baseball. The F.O. staff of both teams make a very good salary. No point in my trying to figure their failures out, my head hurts enough .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

The Sox could use a guy like Swisher on the field and in the clubhouse.

It amazes me how solid Mo is. Just tremendous. It looks like he can pitch forever for you guys.

You are right Jessey quick money fixes don't always work.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Agree that Swisher may be another option guy to fill in RF cuz he is a switch hitter.  But how much money he want?  He already been greedy in the past, and I am sure he will contiue to be that way.

Another Yankees player to take a look at is Phil Hughes.  I think he is a perfect #5 pitcher.  I know he had a dead arm in the beginning of this season, but he didnt look alike one for the whole month of September.  I would take him over Lackey, Bedard, Miller and Wakefield!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

And I don't want to hear how happy you Yankee fans were to be just in it. I am not buying it. They lost again in the first round. That can't be acceptable by NY standards.                but you guys are in worse shape you don't want to hear it but truth is . world series - been there, done that.......many times beating the sox is all I care about after that, anything that happens is good for baseball And both teams failed after spending all that money. It just should prove to Sox brass it ain't always money that wins championships. actually I was hoping it would prove it to red sox fans Which team is in worse shape? compared to where we were 6 months ago it's not even close nothing has changed in yankeeland we knew it would be posada's last yr and had to decide on whether to p/u swishers option we knew we had major issues with our rotation you guys thought you were looking at a long term ace filled rotation with a GG LF                   
    Posted by pinstripezac

I think after last night's exit, the Yankees just got a bit closer to the SOX. I think the Sox are a bit worse off, but the Yankees have a fair amount of issues. Starting pitching, rf, 3rd base, dh, large contracts and have they gotten the best from Tex? We shall see.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

is this a trick question?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I agree with Bobbysu; I too did not think the Yanks were going to even make the wild card let alone win the division.  Their rotation was a huge patchwork after their number one.  But guess what, you still have to play the games.

I don't think Girardi is on the block primarily for two reasons: he already won a WS (that gives you some leeway) and last off-season was a tough one with very slim pickins in terms of pitching.  They did a helluva job with the staff they had especially considering Hughes' durability/funk issues.

Going into this offseason I think they're both on the same footing: lots of payroll still on the books for players that haven't performed, critical issues that need to be addressed (they'll both be competing for pitching, so someone is going to lose), and a ton of pressue from management and expectant fans.

Advantage to no one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Probably the Sox but both teams have serious questions in the SP department.  If the Yanks bring back CC, then with Nova and probably Hughes they have 3 starters going forward, as do the Sox with Jon, Josh and Clay.  Burnett and Lackey are roughly the same, except that Lackey is a little worse because his contract is 3 more years.  Colon and Garcia don't figure in the long term plan for NY.  

The Red Sox have the issue of figuring out the Papelbon situation so with that in mind the BP has to go to NY.

TB isn't going anywhere and I think Toronto will be even more of a factor next year.  The Jays are a pretty young team, that will likely only get better.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Sox could use a guy like Swisher on the field and in the clubhouse. It amazes me how solid Mo is. Just tremendous. It looks like he can pitch forever for you guys. You are right Jessey quick money fixes don't always work.
    Posted by antiqueman1

It is going to be a sad day when MO decides to retire.  He is an amazing player and the Yankees are going to miss him.  Can't imagine that their will ever be another closer like him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pkaczor. Show pkaczor's posts

FYI- Yanks have a 10.25 million team option on Swisher for 2012.  They're definitely exercising it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

FYI- Yanks have a 10.25 million team option on Swisher for 2012.  They're definitely exercising it. 
    Posted by pkaczor

Not necessarily. Although he is not the only one, but he seems to fade in the post season. His fielding has gotten better, but still a little suspect.

He would be an upgrade for the SOX though. Tough, good club house guy, hard worker....

Sections
Shortcuts