#1 starter
    Beckett  15-6  2.20  0.921
    CC Sab   18-6  2.55  1.121

#2 starter
    Lester   12-8    3.17  1.191
    AJ Bur   11-12  4.54  1.346

#3 starter
    Buch (injured) 9-5   3.48/1.294
    Bedard   8-8   3.45  1.172 (with Seattle)
    Garcia   11-8  3.22  1.295

#4 starter
    Wake     10-5  4.99   1.298
    Colon     10-6  3.30  1.229

#5 starter
    Lackey   9-9   6.23   1.548
    Nova     12-5  4.01   1.439

#6 starter
    Miller     7-1   5.36  1.884
    Hughes  4-4  6.93   1.673

Overall (Edited to correct earlier mistakes):
    Boston:    68-42  4.14   1.300  (.718 OPS against)
    NYYanks: 68-42  3.63   1.287  (.706)

(Sidenote: Relievers
    Boston:  WHIP 1.202  (.662 OPS against)
    NYY:       WHIP 1.286  (.655 OPS against)

We need 2 of these guys to start putting up numbers like Garcia & Colon:
    1) Bedard
    2) Wake
    3) Lackey
    Ouside bets:
    1) Buch returns to health and form.
    2) Miller has an epiphany.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters

In Response to Sox vs Yanks Starters:
    [QUOTE](team record in GS's) #1 starter Beckett  15-6  2.20  0.921 CC Sab   18-6  2.55  1.121 #2 starter Lester   12-8    3.17  1.191 AJ Bur   11-12  4.54  1.346 #3 starter Buch (injured) 9-5   3.48/1.294 Bedard   8-8   3.45  1.172 (with Seattle) Garcia   11-8  3.22  1.295 #4 starter Wake     10-5  4.99   1.298 Colon     10-6  3.30  1.229 #5 starter Lackey   9-9   6.23   1.548 Nova     12-5  4.01   1.439 #6 starter Miller     7-1   5.36  1.884 Hughes  4-4  6.93   1.673 Overall: Boston:    67-42  3.66   1.292  (.708 OPS against) NYYanks: 67-42  4.13   1.300  (.718) (Sidenote: Relievers Boston:  WHIP 1.189  (.653 OPS against) NYY:       WHIP 1.289  (.653 OPS against) We need 2 of these guys to start putting up numbers like Garcia & Colon: 1) Bedard 2) Wake 3) Lackey Ouside bets: 1) Buch returns to health and form. 2) Miller has an epiphany.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

We need some of the Phillies pitchers.  That would make us a much better team.  If Buchholz and Dice-K weren't injured, I would have much more confidence in this pitching staff going forward.  I am hoping that Lackey is better for the remainder of the season.  I also think they should have made Aceves a starter and signed  someone else for the bullpen.  Maybe he isn't comfortable in a starting role.  If Buchholz returns for the playoffs,  we can't expect much more than a few innings a game from him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We still have some hopes in Bedard or Lackey to step it up, or for Garcia and/or Colon to step it down. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters:
    [QUOTE]We still have some hopes in Bedard or Lackey to step it up, or for Garcia and/or Colon to step it down. 

moon,

Garcia and Colon, are "0 and 5" against us this season.  Lackey and/or Bedard stepping up would certainly give our team a huge boost but either way I like our staff over the Yankees in the PS if we meet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from (TheBabe). Show (TheBabe)'s posts

In Response to Sox vs Yanks Starters:
    [QUOTE](team record in GS's) #1 starter Beckett  15-6  2.20  0.921 CC Sab   18-6  2.55  1.121 #2 starter Lester   12-8    3.17  1.191 AJ Bur   11-12  4.54  1.346 #3 starter Buch (injured) 9-5   3.48/1.294 Bedard   8-8   3.45  1.172 (with Seattle) Garcia   11-8  3.22  1.295 #4 starter Wake     10-5  4.99   1.298 Colon     10-6  3.30  1.229 #5 starter Lackey   9-9   6.23   1.548 Nova     12-5  4.01   1.439 #6 starter Miller     7-1   5.36  1.884 Hughes  4-4  6.93   1.673 Overall: Boston:    67-42  3.66   1.292  (.708 OPS against) NYYanks: 67-42  4.13   1.300  (.718) (Sidenote: Relievers Boston:  WHIP 1.189  (.653 OPS against) NYY:       WHIP 1.289  (.653 OPS against) We need 2 of these guys to start putting up numbers like Garcia & Colon: 1) Bedard 2) Wake 3) Lackey Ouside bets: 1) Buch returns to health and form. 2) Miller has an epiphany.

moon......

espn.com has the Yanks starters ERA at 3.63 with a WHIP of 1.29 and an OPS of .706 and the sawx starters as having an ERA of 4.14 with a WHIP of 1.30 and an OPS of .718.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al/type/expanded

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al/type/expanded-2

It also has the Yanks' relievers with a 1.29 WHIP and an OPS of .655 while the sawx relievers come in with a 1.20 WHIP and a .662 OPS

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/type/expanded-2

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/type/expanded

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

It would be hard to imagine that both Colon and Garcia will continue to pitch as well as they have so far this season but stranger things have happened so I suppose anything is possible.  Having said that, Lackey is on a bit of a roll lately and has always been a better second half pitcher throughout his career.  Bedard looked solid last night but he needs to be better than merely adequate.  Wake has also been pretty good lately.  Between those 3 we should be okay assuming Beckett and Lester continue to stay healthy and pitch as expected.  An injury to any of the big guns on either team's starting staffs could spell disaster and probaly an end to any serious world series discussion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think my stats don't count last night's games. I got my stats from baseball reference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from (TheBabe). Show (TheBabe)'s posts

[QUOTE]I think my stats don't count last night's games. I got my stats from baseball reference.

One game wasn't changing them that dramatically. I think you had some of the numbers reversed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]It would be hard to imagine that both Colon and Garcia will continue to pitch as well as they have so far this season but stranger things have happened so I suppose anything is possible.  Having said that, Lackey is on a bit of a roll lately and has always been a better second half pitcher throughout his career.  Bedard looked solid last night but he needs to be better than merely adequate.  Wake has also been pretty good lately.  Between those 3 we should be okay assuming Beckett and Lester continue to stay healthy and pitch as expected.  An injury to any of the big guns on either team's starting staffs could spell disaster and probaly an end to any serious world series discussion.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

To be fair though, we have been saying that all dam year.  Its August and they are still holding their weight (especially Colon, hehe).  I mean we gotta give credit where credit is due.  those guys have done more than what was expected of them and that is a huge reason why the Yanks come into Fenway this weekend tied for first.  The Yankee's rotation was supposed to be in shambles this year, but those two have stabilized it.  Work horses.  Its August.  Just so long we can talk about them reverting to washed up mediocrity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from (TheBabe). Show (TheBabe)'s posts

[QUOTE]It would be hard to imagine that both Colon and Garcia will continue to pitch as well as they have so far this season but stranger things have happened so I suppose anything is possible.  Having said that, Lackey is on a bit of a roll lately and has always been a better second half pitcher throughout his career.  Bedard looked solid last night but he needs to be better than merely adequate.  Wake has also been pretty good lately.  Between those 3 we should be okay assuming Beckett and Lester continue to stay healthy and pitch as expected.  An injury to any of the big guns on either team's starting staffs could spell disaster and probaly an end to any serious world series discussion.

lackey got shelackeyed his last time out. Prior to that his four wins were against seattle, baltimore, tampa and kc. Not exactly offensive juggernauts. He let up 4 runs in less than six innings in two of those wins. Not exactly what I would call "on a roll".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Colon and CC looks like a WWF tag team from the 80s

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

bald-predictions, again nothing of substance to contribute, just insults and name calling.  So sad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : lackey got shelackeyed his last time out. Prior to that his four wins were against seattle, baltimore, tampa and kc. Not exactly offensive juggernauts. He let up 4 runs in less than six innings in two of those wins. Not exactly what I would call "on a roll".
    Posted by (TheBabe)[/QUOTE]

It is still light years better than his near 8.00 ERA in the first half, any improvement is welcome, unlike you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

I think Lackey has pitched much better his last 5 starts or so.  He has potential to pitch really good games.  I wouldn't rule him out as a valuable pitcher in the post season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : One game wasn't changing them that dramatically. I think you had some of the numbers reversed.
    Posted by (TheBabe)[/QUOTE]

Baseball reference has these updated numbers (now counting last night):

Yankee Starters:'
    ERA:      3.63
    WHIP:  1.287
    OPS:       .706

Yankee relievers:
    WHIP: 1.286
    OPS:    .655

Sox starters:

Sox Relievers:

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

lackey got shelackeyed his last time out. Prior to that his four wins were against seattle, baltimore, tampa and kc. Not exactly offensive juggernauts. He let up 4 runs in less than six innings in two of those wins. Not exactly what I would call "on a roll".

While Lackey's offenses faced are not powerhouses, they are not exactly pansies either;

Team OPS:
    KC: 6th
    O's 7th
    Rays: 8th
    Sea: 14th

Runs scored:
    Rays: 7th
    O's: 9th
    Sea: 14th.

Offenive WAR:
    TB: 4th
    O's 12th
    Sea: 14th

Other than Seattle, the other 3 teams look about average on offense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from (TheBabe). Show (TheBabe)'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : It is still light years better than his near 8.00 ERA in the first half, any improvement is welcome, unlike you!

Agreed....but still not what I consider "on a roll".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from (TheBabe). Show (TheBabe)'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Baseball reference has these updated numbers (now counting last night): http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=NYY&year=2011 Yankee Starters:' ERA:      3.63 WHIP:  1.287 OPS:       .706 Yankee relievers: WHIP: 1.286 OPS:    .655 Sox starters: 4.14 1.300 .718 Sox Relievers: 1.202 .662

like I said, I think you had the numbers reversed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Yankees swept the White Sox in a 4 game series but didn't give up one (1) walk the entire series. That's pretty incredible. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : like I said, I think you had the numbers reversed.
    Posted by (TheBabe)[/QUOTE]]

Thanks, Babe. I did goof, and then missed my goof after you pointed it out. I went back and corrected and updated the numbers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from )TheBabe(. Show )TheBabe('s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : ] Thanks, Babe. I did goof, and then missed my goof after you pointed it out. I went back and corrected and updated the numbers. 

It's not the first time. Most people take your stats as gospel, others of us know a spin doctor when we see one,

No wonder you and harness are so "close"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tonight the Sox got beat by that lefty who struck AGon out on three pitches.  Plus Lester pitched a horrible 6th, giving up 3 runs on 2 walks, 2 singles, and a double.  Both bullpens were near perfect and neither gave up a run. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Red Sox are without a single OF'er who can slug well v. LHP. That's what 142M will get you.

v. LHP 2011

Ellsbury  BA .246  OBP  .319  SLG  .405

Crawford BA .136 OBP .198  SLG  .233

Reddick  22 PA too small for meaningful sample

Mac       BA .200 OBP .302  SLG   .418

Not a problem, says this board, because most pitchers are RH;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox are without a single OF'er who can slug well v. LHP. That's what 142M will get you. v. LHP 2011 Ellsbury  BA .246  OBP  .319  SLG  .405 Crawford BA .136 OBP .198  SLG  .233 Reddick  22 PA too small for meaningful sample Mac       BA .200 OBP .302  SLG   .418 Not a problem, says this board, because most pitchers are RH;)
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]
    There is no question that the Sox could use a RHed bat that would at least threaten to put a dent in a lefty pitcher, however infrequently the Sox encounter such an animal. In the right situation, it takes only one. Not too much should be made of AG's pathetic AB against Logan, but not too little either. Right now, Pedroia IS the RHed bat in Boston's lineup, with Youk something of a threat but not as great as in the past.  
    MLB will not permit the Dodgers to trade Kemp or to put him on waivers. Odds are that he remains a Dodger until he's eligible for FA.  It does appear that Theo will go with his three lefties in the OF and hope that Reddick will supply some sock against lefties, unless The Sox decide to let McDonald ( or Aviles! )
    have cracks at one or both of the corner OF positions.  Yikes.  
    Maybe the club will pick up someone from the waiver wire.  In any case, it's useless to pretend, as the poster shows, that the absence of a RHed bat with distance in it is not an issue. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

Yeah- everyone has been waiting for the Yankees rotation to implode. Unfortunately for you guys- it appears it won't happen. What you see is true- this is what the Yankees rotation is- and it's better than red sox have. Burnett is the only weak cog and I doubt he'll start in the playoffs if things stay as they are as of today. Now- that's not to say that injury won't get Colon again. Yet- there's no guarantee beckett won't get a blister that shuts him down.  It was obvious at the beginning of the season that the red sox rotation was flawed- lackey and matsuzaka were never going to cut it. bucholtz going down was just bad luck. At this point- if the Yanks and red sox meet in the ALCS, I give the edge to the Yankees.

Sections
Shortcuts