Sox vs Yanks Starters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from (The-Babe). Show (The-Babe)'s posts

Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters

In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Answer my question.  Would you take Colon over Lester?  You're just dodging questions as you alway sdo.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Obviously not. But that doesn't change the fact that the Yanks can match up with the sawx #2, as we all witnessed last night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Obviously not. But that doesn't change the fact that the Yanks can match up with the sawx #2, as we all witnessed last night.
    Posted by (The-Babe)[/QUOTE]

So if Lackey were to get the win today, does that mean that the Sox' #5 starter can match up against the Yankees #1?  The bottom line is that Lester is better than Colon therefore the Sox have the edge at #2 starter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from (The-Babe). Show (The-Babe)'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : So if Lackey were to get the win today, does that mean that the Sox' #5 starter can match up against the Yankees #1?  The bottom line is that Lester is better than Colon therefore the Sox have the edge at #2 starter.

No, what it means is that any team can beat any other team on any given day.

The bottom line is we just beat your number two, so to proclaim that we can't match up with your number two is just plain stupid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : No, what it means is that any team can beat any other team on any given day. The bottom line is we just beat your number two, so to proclaim that we can't match up with your number two is just plain stupid.

You take everything literally just to be a pr*i*ck... You know that Lester is the better pitcher so when we talk about "matchups", Lester /> Colon.  I agree, anyone can beat anyone on any given night but if it's Lester vs. Colon, the Sox have the edge any day of the week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from (The-Babe). Show (The-Babe)'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : You take everything literally just to be a pr*i*ck... You know that Lester is the better pitcher so when we talk about "matchups", Lester /> Colon.  I agree, anyone can beat anyone on any given night but if it's Lester vs. Colon, the Sox have the edge any day of the week.

And that "edge" means absolutely nothing.

I seem to remember the cheatriots having an "edge" on the Giants in the Super Bowl a few years back....how'd that work out?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox are without a single OF'er who can slug well v. LHP. That's what 142M will get you. v. LHP 2011 Ellsbury  BA .246  OBP  .319  SLG  .405 Crawford BA .136 OBP .198  SLG  .233 Reddick  22 PA too small for meaningful sample Mac       BA .200 OBP .302  SLG   .418 Not a problem, says this board, because most pitchers are RH;)
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

The Sox are 25 & 12 vs lefthanded starters, but lets not let the facts get in the way of your repeated attempts to isolate meaniless splits and find something wrong with a team that's playing over .675 ball vs what you continue to try to play as a weakness. Last I checked you play to win the game!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Anything can happen in baseball, but the Red Sox have the better starting rotation.  The Yankees have been getting better results thus far this year, but Colon is showing serious signs of decline, manifesting in strange ways.  He still has the velocity on some pitches, but high 80s meatballs are creeping into the mix as well with increasing frequency.  If he is your #2 starter, what does it say that your manager does not have the confidence to let him go five innings?  Lester was the better pitcher by last night, but the Yankees got the win.  It's baseball - that happens all the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from (The-Babe). Show (The-Babe)'s posts

[QUOTE]Anything can happen in baseball, but the Red Sox have the better starting rotation.  The Yankees have been getting better results thus far this year, but Colon is showing serious signs of decline, manifesting in strange ways.  He still has the velocity on some pitches, but high 80s meatballs are creeping into the mix as well with increasing frequency.  If he is your #2 starter, what does it say that your manager does not have the confidence to let him go five innings?  Lester was the better pitcher by last night, but the Yankees got the win.  It's baseball - that happens all the time.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Well, if the Yanks have been getting better results then they have the better rotation.

How else do you judge them, on reputation?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]2 problems. Kemp isn't going to want to be a part of a place with a giant cloud that won't go away before he becomes a FA. There is a bad history between Kemp and LA media and fans. The reason he recently said he like LA was too create as many larger city markets as he can . You've all but called Boston the biggest racist city in the States. Why would Kemp want to come here? A call to barry Bonds would convince him: "anywhere but Boston." ... getting Kemp a year earlier is quite important, given age and the current team needs. Our "current needs" are not another OF'er. Haven't you noticed we have larger needs than upgrading one of our best positions on the team: 1) Starting Pitcher 2) SS 3) Starting Pitcher 4) Releif Pitcher 5) Starting Pitcher 6) RH'd Platoon OF'er ... 20) Upgrade CF
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Moon, are you saying that Boston should try to get a starter in addition to Bedard?  The pen seems set, as does SS, for better or worse, and Iglesias probably won't be called up until September for late-inning defensive duty. I'm not sure that "need" is the right idea, but should a decent RHed bat appear on the waiver wire.... Or are you content with McDonald and, possibly, Aviles, say, deep into the playoffs?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox vs Yanks Starters : moon...... espn.com has the Yanks starters ERA at 3.63 with a WHIP of 1.29 and an OPS of .706 and the sawx starters as having an ERA of 4.14 with a WHIP of 1.30 and an OPS of .718. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al/type/expanded http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/al/type/expanded-2 It also has the Yanks' relievers with a 1.29 WHIP and an OPS of .655 while the sawx relievers come in with a 1.20 WHIP and a .662 OPS http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/type/expanded-2 http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/type/expanded  
    Posted by (TheBabe)[/QUOTE]
    how about after today?Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Well, if the Yanks have been getting better results then they have the better rotation. How else do you judge them, on reputation?
    Posted by (The-Babe)[/QUOTE] Let's look at that a little differently. Whatever the two teams do against everybody else is one thing but in head to head so far this year the RS seem to match up better. One of the two wins was a 3-2 nail bitter, far from a case of one team putting the ball in their back pocket.

The RS have scored 71 runs against NY while the have scored 44 against Boston.

Now whether that continues into October I don't know, but match-up wise in every series this year except the first, I have felt the RS had favorable match-ups in more games and I don't feel that way most years. And if CC can't figure out the RS the Sox would have a big advantage.

Now all that stuff is nice because the games are played on the field on not on paper or based on prior stats.

Head to head the RS have had the better pitching or just vastly superior hitting. Considering the RS have held the NYY to under 5 runs in 7 of the first 11 games and the NYY have held the RS under 5 only 3 out of 11 times, maybe the RS can pitch to this team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Well, if the Yanks have been getting better results then they have the better rotation. How else do you judge them, on reputation?

You judge a pitcher on things like WHIP, BA against, OPS against, K/BB ratio, etc.  ERA and wins are not necessarily related to performance.  If a guy gives up five hits in 8 innings, that's a good outing.  If they happen to be all in the same inning, he probably gave up some runs.  Or if a guy gets lit up and his team makes some errors, he may give up a lot of runs that don't translate to a high ERA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : The Sox are 25 & 12 vs lefthanded starters, but lets not let the facts get in the way of your repeated attempts to isolate meaniless splits and find something wrong with a team that's playing over .675 ball vs what you continue to try to play as a weakness. Last I checked you play to win the game!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Make that 26 & 12...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Let's look at that a little differently. Whatever the two teams do against everybody else is one thing but in head to head so far this year the RS seem to match up better. One of the two wins was a 3-2 nail bitter, far from a case of one team putting the ball in their back pocket. The RS have scored 71 runs against NY while the have scored 44 against Boston. Now whether that continues into October I don't know, but match-up wise in every series this year except the first, I have felt the RS had favorable match-ups in more games and I don't feel that way most years. And if CC can't figure out the RS the Sox would have a big advantage. Now all that stuff is nice because the games are played on the field on not on paper or based on prior stats. Head to head the RS have had the better pitching or just vastly superior hitting. Considering the RS have held the NYY to under 5 runs in 7 of the first 11 games and the NYY have held the RS under 5 only 3 out of 11 times, maybe the RS can pitch to this team?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Katz,
    The season stat's show the Yanks have been the better rotation and overall staff...Head to head, the stats show the Sox have been the better rotation and overall staff...What it amounts to is that today we're in a dead heat and if we can take tomorrow's game we clinch the season series (10 wins), giving the Sox an edge in the tie breaking formula, which given the current standings and the quality of both teams, could come in to play if we end up tied at the end of the year.

As for who's the better hitting team the Sox enjoy the edge in both the season and head to head stats, though the Yanks have had to play sans Arod for almost a month with him I'd say it's a coin flip without the Sox are clearly better 1-6...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, are you saying that Boston should try to get a starter in addition to Bedard?  

Before the deadline, I was for trying to get a legitiamte #2-3 guy. Bedard could be that guy, but injury issues and his ability to win under pressure are a bis suspect. I am glad we got Bedar vs doing nothing, but I had wished we did better. That being said, yes, I would like us to get a better starter than Bedard/lackey/Wake, but I don't see it happening as a waiver deal. Our best bet is for Buch to come back, or for one of the 3-5 starters stepping up their game. If I had to bet, I'd say there is a better than 50% chance that Buch, bedard, lackey, or Wake will do well enough to give us a good shot at a ring. My issue is that I feel like this team is really really good, but we are gambling on our hopes. I'd hate to see this line-up, Beckett, Lester, Bard and Paps not get a ring because we get shelled each game 3 and 4. (Remember, this year there will be less off days during the playoffs, and a 4th starter will be needed, unless we choose to pitch Beckett or Lester on extreme short rest.  

The pen seems set, as does SS, for better or worse, and Iglesias probably won't be called up until September for late-inning defensive duty.

I agree. As you all know I prefer a great defender at SS, but we are OK there now. Lowrie's return can not hurt.

I'm not sure that "need" is the right idea, but should a decent RHed bat appear on the waiver wire.... Or are you content with McDonald and, possibly, Aviles, say, deep into the playoffs? 

DMac has done better of late, and I like Aviles. I wanted Francouer, and I suppose we may get someone like him this month, but I do not see us losing because of not having someone better than DMac (although his fielding is not good in RF). 

As for "deep into the playoffs", I am worried about no DH in the NL park (probably Philly) for 4 of 7 games. No Papi is hard to make up for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Moon, are you saying that Boston should try to get a starter in addition to Bedard?   Before the deadline, I was for trying to get a legitiamte #2-3 guy. Bedard could be that guy, but injury issues and his ability to win under pressure are a bis suspect. I am glad we got Bedar vs doing nothing, but I had wished we did better. That being said, yes, I would like us to get a better starter than Bedard/lackey/Wake, but I don't see it happening as a waiver deal. Our best bet is for Buch to come back, or for one of the 3-5 starters stepping up their game. If I had to bet, I'd say there is a better than 50% chance that Buch, bedard, lackey, or Wake will do well enough to give us a good shot at a ring. My issue is that I feel like this team is really really good, but we are gambling on our hopes. I'd hate to see this line-up, Beckett, Lester, Bard and Paps not get a ring because we get shelled each game 3 and 4. (Remember, this year there will be less off days during the playoffs, and a 4th starter will be needed, unless we choose to pitch Beckett or Lester on extreme short rest.   The pen seems set, as does SS, for better or worse, and Iglesias probably won't be called up until September for late-inning defensive duty. I agree. As you all know I prefer a great defender at SS, but we are OK there now. Lowrie's return can not hurt.  I'm not sure that "need" is the right idea, but should a decent RHed bat appear on the waiver wire.... Or are you content with McDonald and, possibly, Aviles, say, deep into the playoffs?  DMac has done better of late, and I like Aviles. I wanted Francouer, and I suppose we may get someone like him this month, but I do not see us losing because of not having someone better than DMac (although his fielding is not good in RF).   As for "deep into the playoffs", I am worried about no DH in the NL park (probably Philly) for 4 of 7 games. No Papi is hard to make up for.
    All good points.  
    Right, I don't think the Sox will lose because they don't have a better choice than McDonald, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have one.  One swing or one play in the field.... Maybe Aviles will help a bit.
    Even if Buchholz makes it back, he may not be at his best. It's up to Lackey and Bedard, and at least there's some reason to be hopeful.
    No comment about the way of deciding home field in the WS, or about the DH here but not there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

All good points.  
    Right, I don't think the Sox will lose because they don't have a better choice than McDonald, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have one.  One swing or one play in the field.... Maybe Aviles will help a bit.
    Even if Buchholz makes it back, he may not be at his best. It's up to Lackey and Bedard, and at least there's some reason to be hopeful.
    No comment about the way of deciding home field in the WS, or about the DH here but not there

I just remember all the banter about how to get Papi into the line-up at the NL parks. There is no easy solution that does not cause issues somewhere else. 

It is nice to see us winning recently with guys not named Papi leading us in the clutch. Maybe by October our reliance on his bat will not be as great as it was earlier this season..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The Aviles insert yesterday was a (IMO overlooked) masterstroke by Francona (Aviles is 5 for 10 against Sabathia, in an admittedly small sample size); if Aviles doesn't get on, Ellsbury would not have had the chance to hit the dinger that inning; it was the turning point of the game (Note: An earlier Flyout by him to RF, arguably a Homer anywhere else, was hit harder)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point nh: a point missed, no doubt, by all the Tito bashers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big game tonight

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Injuries to the starting rotation happen and cannot be averted.  This is why we need the lumber to come thru and so far it has.  This lineup is far superior to the one in the Bronx and the reason why we're still here. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not "far" superior, but since mid-May it has been pretty awesome.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ()TheBabe)(. Show ()TheBabe)('s posts

[QUOTE]Good point nh: a point missed, no doubt, by all the Tito bashers.

Yup....genius move to have a guy that hits .500 off the pitcher bat in that situation. Nobody else would have thought of that.........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : Yup....genius move to have a guy that hits .500 off the pitcher bat in that situation. Nobody else would have thought of that.........
    Posted by ()TheBabe)([/QUOTE]

He's baaaaaack...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ()TheBabe)(. Show ()TheBabe)('s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox vs Yanks Starters : He's baaaaaack...

LOL...that's funny coming from someone who typically disappears after a red flops loss........

Sections
Shortcuts