Sox will get swept...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Sox will get swept...

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I get that Dempster didn't exactly light it up this year however the Sox were 18 and 14 in games started by Dempster, which is .560 winning pct from your 5th starter. \

You don't pay over $13M for a number 5.

The point about Sanchez was that for just a little more money you get a near number 1 profile instead of a number 5.

I get the argument about him wanting to play for only the Tigers, but there was no reports that the Sox even tried. What's to lose? Even if we just drove up the price for the Tigers, that would accomplish something.

[/QUOTE]

You also need to let it play out a little.  As I've mentioned before, you get the most bang for your buck in the first year.  The players are generally healthy, since they've just been examined, and they are usually younger in the early part of their contract.  It is usually the tailend of the contract that determines its value.

This place was thick with critics that thought we should've signed Tex for any amount.  Now you can't find anyone that thinks we should've signed him.  It's the same with a lot of FAs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have a chance, but I'd make the following changes tonight:

Carp at 1B for Napoli. Napoli is reverting back to his awful K self and why not put a lefty in there against a righty. 

Salty will be behind the plate and give you more production that Ross.

Bogaearts will be at SS tonight. Farrell himself said that these guys will play. Better tonight than against Verlander in Game 2.

Mark my word.

[/QUOTE]

Put Bogaearts at third and leave lefty Drew at short. Big Goffy Middlebrookes couldn't  breat an egg with his bat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

All year, the Sox have been able to bounce back from a tough loss. It is imperative that they do it again now. The only word to describe last night's performance is dismal. Flat out terrible. This complaining about the umpiring is Little League pathetic.  Sanchez and company confused and dominated the Sox batters all night.  Just have to snap out of it quickly. All of the Tigers starters are very good. All of them can be beaten with a good plate approach.  Just do it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stacked lineup? They scored one run last night, and other than one game have been awful the entire post season. If you want to blame someone, blame the Red Sox hitters. They took too many good pitches and swung at too many balls. Not Red Sox baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Your right on.....while Red Sox hitters are taking pitches for sake of running up the count has been good strategy for the Sox this and previous years, just maybe when your facing pitchers from the Tigers who will pound the strike zone for the very most part, just maybe it might not be a bad idea for the Sox hitters to start swinging on the 1st/2nd pitch fast balls in the strike zone as opposed to swinging at breaking pitches when the count goes to 0-1, 0-2, 1-2 etc.....sure looks like we are in trouble after last nights loss with the upcomming pitching match ups.  Even though our Sox lost the game last night, it was a great game to watch two very good teams going at it.  GO SOX! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

I get that Dempster didn't exactly light it up this year however the Sox were 18 and 14 in games started by Dempster, which is .560 winning pct from your 5th starter. \

The point about Sanchez was that for just a little more money you get a near number 1 profile instead of a number 5.

I get the argument about him wanting to play for only the Tigers, but there was no reports that the Sox even tried. What's to lose? Even if we just drove up the price for the Tigers, that would accomplish something.

[/QUOTE]

We get you were the biggest proponent of the Sox trying to sign Sanchez but they didn't. At the time of his signing Sanchez was a 48-51 lifetime pitcher w/ an ERA around 4. How much more can you drive up his deal, he got 5 yrs at 17.5 mill a yr. Also just because we didn't hear a report doesn't mean the Sox didn't offer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]

Stacked lineup? They scored one run last night, and other than one game have been awful the entire post season. If you want to blame someone, blame the Red Sox hitters. They took too many good pitches and swung at too many balls. Not Red Sox baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Geo and Examiner...you are both correct, their lineup is stacked(contained last night as I cite below) and our hitters swung at too many in the dirt and not at some down the middle.

They now have the home field advantage. We held down their power hitters last night but Cabrera & Fielder 1 single each and Martinez 0-4 &  will always be dangerous for the longball. If I thought last night was a must win you know what I think about tonight.

Because of our great defense, especially Drew's catch which saved 2 runs, & their slow footedness, we held them to 1 run and I am more frustrated by this as had they scored a couple of more with their 9 hits and we lost 3-4 to 0 I'd not felt as bad. What I am saying is we still had a chance to win the game. We got 6 walks & a runner on a strike out/ball astray. We beat Tampa because of our pitching and basically the production of the 1st 4 hitters, Ells, Vic, Pedey & Ortiz & the 1st 3's base running. An announcer said before the game that Detroit wins if the top of our lineup us contained. In the Tampa series the rest of the lineup was mediocre. In view of last night, I would not continue our strategy of taking pitchs to wear down the opposing pitchers...Scherzer & Verlander can both go over 100 pitchs and mostly toss strikes. Don't know what to do with our boys swinging at balls in the dirt but anything close down the middle based on the strike zone yesterday, swing the bat. Maybe Napoli, in a major slump, and Salty a close behind strike out artist will hit something instead of dumbfoundedly watching balls go down the middle as Naps did with a 2-0 count and Pedy on 2nd with 1 out and he let 2 hitter's balls go by down the middle. Swing dammit, even a blind chipmunk finds an acorn occasionally. Even if the top of our lineup recovers its offense, we need some production from Naps, Salty, Drew, Nava & Gomes too or we ain't gonna win. 

Hopefully I'll be happy turning on this game after watching a Pats victory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

our 3-5 hitters would be batting 6-8 on this team....just saying

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz had a much better year then Fielder or Martinez. Much.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Ortiz is better, but Pedroia and especially Napoli are nowhere near as good as Cabrera and Martinez.  Plus the Tigers 6th hitter is Peralta, who hit well in the ALDS and got the go ahead hit last night. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was really hoping you would guarantee a Sox win this series.

I would feel a lot better.

Of course you would, but I specifically didn't ask my source the  winner of this series because I want to be entertained by the ALCS. 

[/QUOTE]

There you have it folks.  Fireman has a source who knows the winner of every series.  Maybe Fireman's source is a guy who is visiting us from the future.

[/QUOTE]

Biff Tannen and his Sports Almanac.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cherington and The Sox signed Dempster to be a solid middle of the rotation starter and clearly they expected more out of him based on his contract. They didn't expect him to be an ace.

Sanchez is signed for 5 years and 80M...Dempster is signed for 2 years and 26.5 in the big picture the guy gave them 32 starts and 180 innings. Unless I missed something 54M ain't exactly a few more million. It's been well documented the reason you didn't hear of the Sox or any other team making an offer to Snachez is simple....Sanchez and his agent negotiated exclusively with the Tigers and frankly I'm not so sure that had they been given the opportunity to make an offer they'd have outbid or even matched the Tigers offer. So since none of us know whether or not Cherington made a call to his agent or not, nor are we privy to what his agent told teams that called. your implying that somehow Cherington and the Sox erred is not based on fact, but merely your own opinion. 

Dempsters signing was consistent with the teams position in the winter...they were looking for veterans players with solid makeup who would take short term deals with good AAV. Some worked better than others none of them have or will hamstring this team moving forward. 

The Tigers were 16 & 12 in games started by Sanchez...The Sox were 18 & 14 in games started by Dempster...I'd say that if we eliminate all of the bluster of stats and moneys oth guys helped get their teams in position to play for all of the marbles...if Dempster is still on the Red Sox next season...I'll take 18 & 14

basic math on the AAV of both contracts....

13.5 M divided by 18 wins = 750,000 per win

16 M divided by 16 wins = 1,000,000 per win

Tell me again how Sanchez for a few more million was the better investment...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to lucbom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your right on.....while Red Sox hitters are taking pitches for sake of running up the count has been good strategy for the Sox this and previous years, just maybe when your facing pitchers from the Tigers who will pound the strike zone for the very most part, just maybe it might not be a bad idea for the Sox hitters to start swinging on the 1st/2nd pitch fast balls in the strike zone as opposed to swinging at breaking pitches when the count goes to 0-1, 0-2, 1-2 etc.....sure looks like we are in trouble after last nights loss with the upcomming pitching match ups.  Even though our Sox lost the game last night, it was a great game to watch two very good teams going at it.  GO SOX! 

[/QUOTE]

lucbom, you weren't watching carefully last night.  Fact 1:  the Sox got no hits off Sanchez.  Fact 2:  he struck out a bunch of Sox.  Fact 3:  the strategy that worked was to wear him out by being patient--he only lasted 6 innings in part because of the 6 walks he gave up.  Fact 4:  two guys, Pedroia, and Middlebrooks, both swung at and hit first pitches and were easy outs. 

The Sox problem last night wasn't being patient or not being patient.  Their problem was the Tigers pitchers, especially Sanchez, were dominant.  Or don't 17 K's and just one hit mean anything to you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cherington and The Sox signed Dempster to be a solid middle of the rotation starter and clearly they expected more out of him based on his contract. They didn't expect him to be an ace.

Sanchez is signed for 5 years and 80M...Dempster is signed for 2 years and 26.5 in the big picture the guy gave them 32 starts and 180 innings. Unless I missed something 54M ain't exactly a few more million. It's been well documented the reason you didn't hear of the Sox or any other team making an offer to Snachez is simple....Sanchez and his agent negotiated exclusively with the Tigers and frankly I'm not so sure that had they been given the opportunity to make an offer they'd have outbid or even matched the Tigers offer. So since none of us know whether or not Cherington made a call to his agent or not, nor are we privy to what his agent told teams that called. your implying that somehow Cherington and the Sox erred is not based on fact, but merely your own opinion. 

Dempsters signing was consistent with the teams position in the winter...they were looking for veterans players with solid makeup who would take short term deals with good AAV. Some worked better than others none of them have or will hamstring this team moving forward. 

The Tigers were 16 & 12 in games started by Sanchez...The Sox were 18 & 14 in games started by Dempster...I'd say that if we eliminate all of the bluster of stats and moneys oth guys helped get their teams in position to play for all of the marbles...if Dempster is still on the Red Sox next season...I'll take 18 & 14

basic math on the AAV of both contracts....

13.5 M divided by 18 wins = 750,000 per win

16 M divided by 16 wins = 1,000,000 per win

Tell me again how Sanchez for a few more million was the better investment...

[/QUOTE]

He isn't a good investment; neither was Dempster, who we seem to be stuck with for another year. For 5 years at $17.5M, despite how good a season he had this year, I let the Tigers have him. Lets see how good an investment it is in 2017.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

[/QUOTE]

There you have it folks.  Fireman has a source who knows the winner of every series.  Maybe Fireman's source is a guy who is visiting us from the future.

[/QUOTE]

oh I'd make sooo much money, like the guy with the sports almanac in back to the future II

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

our 3-5 hitters would be batting 6-8 on this team....just saying

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz had a much better year then Fielder or Martinez. Much.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Ortiz is better, but Pedroia and especially Napoli are nowhere near as good as Cabrera and Martinez.  Plus the Tigers 6th hitter is Peralta, who hit well in the ALDS and got the go ahead hit last night. 

[/QUOTE]

Cabrera is the best hitter in the game, no team has a comparable bat in their lineup....Martinez is not a better hitter than Pedrioa just look up their stats. if we stack up both lineups next to one another Both team have advantages over the others and in some case they're not to dissimilar...End of the day they were the best two offenses in the game this past year.

Jackson v Ellsbury advantage Sox

Hunter v Victorino push

Cabrera v Pedrioa advantage Tigers

Fielder v Ortiz push 

Martinez v Napoli advantage Tigers

Peralta v Nava push 

Avilla v Salty advantage Sox 

Infante v Drew push

Iglesias v Middlebrooks advantage Sox

Go ahead and quibble with my rankings end of the day both lineups will punish a pitcher that doesn't bring his A game..,

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

^ Is there any context to that?  You seem more unhinged by the day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

Watching this stacked Detroit lineup and seeing their third best pitcher throwing a no no over six gave me this sinking feeling from the third inning on...

I fear being down 2-0 going to the Motor City with Verlander tossing the next game will spell doom

Clay better bring his A game today

[/QUOTE] jumpng out the window already Geo???...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's kind of harsh to call for a Tigers' sweep after one loss.  It's going to be tough, but I have faith in our boys.  They have shown resilience all season long.  After being frustrated last night, our line up will be out for vengeance tonight.

[/QUOTE]

Just ADG being ADG.  He hasn't had a lot to gloat over this season.

And last we saw of him, the score was 2-0 TB, and he was gloating we couldn't hit lefties.  12 runs later, he had to go into hiding.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess Farrell sees the same thing. Carp is playing for Napoli.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

It's kind of harsh to call for a Tigers' sweep after one loss.  It's going to be tough, but I have faith in our boys.  They have shown resilience all season long.  After being frustrated last night, our line up will be out for vengeance tonight.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...to say we will get swept is just stupid...a red sox fan should never say we will get swept...never.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just ADG being ADG.  He hasn't had a lot to gloat over this season.

And last we saw of him, the score was 2-0 TB, and he was gloating we couldn't hit lefties.  12 runs later, he had to go into hiding.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess Farrell sees the same thing. Carp is playing for Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Of course.  I would expect Farrell to see thing sthe same way I see them.  It is fairly straightforward.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.