Sox will sign these players.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Sox will sign these players.

I believe the Sox will sign Ortiz, it will be a two year contract with a option for the 3rd year. It will be for 25 million with a 3rd year at 12 million.
    They will sign Roy Oswalt for two years at 22 million, and have a 3rd year option.
    The Sox will sign Carlos Beltran for two years also[although it could be for 3 three years, at about 13 million per year.
    Francisco Cordero is also a possibility, but I believe the Sox will Give the closer job to Bard, and move Aceves to the starting rotation, although he is probably more valuable to them as a set up man. If Oswalt is not signed, then Aceves diffentally moves to the rotation.
    The Sox should try and trade guys like Lowrie, Reddick, Bowden, Anderson, but don't really know how value they have. But they must get them out of the System and make way for younger players on the 40 man team.
    Just my thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Sox will sign these players.

In Response to Sox will sign these players.:
    [QUOTE]I believe the Sox will sign Ortiz, it will be a two year contract with a option for the 3rd year. It will be for 25 million with a 3rd year at 12 million. They will sign Roy Oswalt for two years at 22 million, and have a 3rd year option. The Sox will sign Carlos Beltran for two years also[although it could be for 3 three years, at about 13 million per year. Francisco Cordero is also a possibility, but I believe the Sox will Give the closer job to Bard, and move Aceves to the starting rotation, although he is probably more valuable to them as a set up man. If Oswalt is not signed, then Aceves diffentally moves to the rotation. The Sox should try and trade guys like Lowrie, Reddick, Bowden, Anderson, but don't really know how value they have. But they must get them out of the System and make way for younger players on the 40 man team. Just my thoughts.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

I don't know, especially considering that the FO was on record as saying that they likely would not be big spenders this offseason...so I can see maybe Oswalt or Beltran being signed but not both.

In addition, can Ortiz really get a matching offer elsewhere at $12million per season, when the DH 'only' market has dropped significantly? I see one of 2 things happening with Ortiz, either he accepts arbitration and gets a one year $12million offer or he signs a 2 year deal at around $16. A team option for a 3rd year is possible but would they ever really consider exercising it for a 39 year old DH? Big Papi is pushing it for a multi-year deal right now...but someone will give it to him, just for how much?

I think they will target Oswalt also and maybe Cuddyer at a lower rate than what Beltran would cost...they will bring someone else in for the bullpen and that will be someone that will have to fight Bard for the closers job in ST. So Cordero or Francisco could be decent fits, I've also heard Zumaya's name for the pen too.

I expect the Sox to investigate a deal for the guys you mentioned, and will pull the trigger on that if the right deal is there...but I think it is more likely that they try either bringing Bedard back, or re-looking at Harden, or maybe taking a shot with Brandon Webb to fill out the rotation.

I still believe it is in the Sox best interests to leave Aceves in the bullpen...but that will depend on what Cherington can do in the hot stove.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

In Response to Sox will sign these players.:
    [QUOTE]I believe the Sox will sign Ortiz, it will be a two year contract with a option for the 3rd year. It will be for 25 million with a 3rd year at 12 million. They will sign Roy Oswalt for two years at 22 million, and have a 3rd year option. The Sox will sign Carlos Beltran for two years also[although it could be for 3 three years, at about 13 million per year. Francisco Cordero is also a possibility, but I believe the Sox will Give the closer job to Bard, and move Aceves to the starting rotation, although he is probably more valuable to them as a set up man. If Oswalt is not signed, then Aceves diffentally moves to the rotation. The Sox should try and trade guys like Lowrie, Reddick, Bowden, Anderson, but don't really know how value they have. But they must get them out of the System and make way for younger players on the 40 man team. Just my thoughts.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Good thoughts but who replaces Aceves as the long reliever if he goes to the starting rotation ?     Also, who replaces Bard as the set-up man if he becomes the closer ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Signing relievers on the open market is a crapshoot and more often than not ends up as a bad investment.  That's why it's imperative to develop some relievers from within the org.  Midway thru last yr I said the bullpen would need contributions from Weiland, Doubront, and even Bowden before the yr was done.  Obviously that didn't happen and it hurt them down the stretch when Albers imploded and Bard started to lose some effectiveness.  I still think Weiland and Doubront can be key relievers.  Weiland definitely wasn't equipped to start in the bigs last yr and I still question whether Doubront has the repertoire to be a quality starter.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Beltran value ends at 1 year and 8M

Oswalt value ends at 1 year and 1M plus incentives

Oritz market is unlikely to be more than 2 years and about 20M, so you might be right on this. Ortiz value ends at 1 year and about 10M, but if Wastefield and Varitek were paid nearly 6 million for drinking beer in 2011, a 1 or 2 year golden parachute for Ortiz is only fair. Ortiz earned that with his production in 2010 and 2011, Wastefield and Varisuk have been multi-million parasites for years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Dude, you're smokin' something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I just plain failed to mention Dourbont, he could be a starter, depending on who fills out the rotation. I think he is to young and talented to be a middle man, at least in the long run. Bowden and Weiland could possibly be important player's in relief as middle men, but they are not starters. Also wonder where Tazawa figures into the sox plans? I have mixed feelings about him, at times he looks like he could be a effective ML pitcher, and then at times I think he doesn't have a great fastball and rely's on off speed pitches to get big league hitter's out. I think he falls into that mold of the Japanese pitcher who just isn't good enough to be a good ML,er. Also have seen Alex Wilson pitch and don't feel he will ever be a serviceable ML.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Sox will sign these players.:
    [QUOTE]Beltran value ends at 1 year and 8M Oswalt value ends at 1 year and 1M plus incentives Oritz market is unlikely to be more than 2 years and about 20M, so you might be right on this. Ortiz value ends at 1 year and about 10M, but if Wastefield and Varitek were paid nearly 6 million for drinking beer in 2011, a 1 or 2 year golden parachute for Ortiz is only fair. Ortiz earned that with his production in 2010 and 2011, Wastefield and Varisuk have been multi-million parasites for years.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

You seriously think Oswalt will settle for a one-year contract for 1 million and incentives?  In this market?  Wow.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oswalt value ends at 1 year and 1M plus incentives

Classic softy BS.

While Roy is 34 years old and only had 55 starts the past 3 years, his ERA has been below 3.15 since 2009 (combined) and his WHIP has been below 1.15.

If guys like Wang, Garcia and Chen all get over $4M for 2012, it's hard to imagine anyone but a silly clown seeing Roy's "value" at just $1M + incentives.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

You seriously think Oswalt will settle for a one-year contract for 1 million and incentives? In this market? Wow.

I offer contracts based upon value, not markets. Both Oswalt and Wilson are almost sure to find a desperate GM like an InEsptein. Oswalt's numbers are from the pitcher's resthome league, and his former employers have zero interest in paying him anywhere near market.

Moonslob likes to overpay millions for 45 year old piles of dung and FA like John Lackey. He is the biggest sucker since Inepstein left town.

Red Sox will need to offer 1 to 2M plus incentive deals to half dozen or more veteran rejects under 45 years old, and will net 2 or 3 to MLB and minor league deals as a result. They need to trade to find value on a middle to bottom tier starter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Beltran at 3 years at 13 million per would be absolutely horrible. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I agree that that price tag for Beltran is a bit high, but looking at his stats, he's a major improvement over J.D.Drew.

...but then again, Pee Wee Herman would be an improvement over Drew.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I can see Ortiz at 12 per for two years, but with a team option for 8-9.  With a player option for slightly less.

I dont think they will sign Beltran if Ortiz returns.  I could see a lesser option like Willingham or Ludwick.

I could see Oswalt to the RS but not for anything over two years.  Wilson is way to expensive and is not  what the RS need as far as money value per pitcher.  Look how Lackey turned out.  They will try to get two Bargain guys and see who will stick out in Spring Training.  Very similar to what the Yankees did with Garcia and Colon.

Back up Catcher will probably go to Lavarnway, but I could see them waiting the trade market out and take a cheap option guy since Salty is clearly the starter.

Id like to see them look for two BP options.  Either keep Bard as setup and go for Madson or push Bard to the closer and sign two guys to get a deeper pen with Acevas, Morales and Jenks on the team.

Id like to see Reddick and Kalish fight it out for RF if that is a way to spend more on pitching.  This team can score runs with Papi back and the hard part will be keeping the runs of the board and not overusing the bullpen.  The RS need guys who can get deeper into games.  A healthy Buchholz and a more focused Beckett and Lester will go a long way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ortiz value ends at 1 year, but his final two years of top tier hitting and career resume have earned a 1.25 golden parachute. But once Ortiz goes, management needs to move on and not pull a Lowell, Wastefield and Varitek and waste a roster spot.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

No way on Bedard, No way. He cannot make it to the 5th inmning, does not like to throw between starts, and has an arrogant attitude. Reda between the linespeople he was a problem last year otherwise they would have been quicker to sign him. Let him go !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Think we should let Valentine and his pitching coach have a role in helping the FO make decisions about pitchers.  Bedard was injured when he came to the Red Sox in August.  He should be one of the pitchers considered to be re-signed, but there are a few pitchers the team is looking at who do not have an injury history like Bedard.  Not quite sure what teams are going to offer Bedard, otherwise he would be looking for, but I expect the Red Sox and Yankees have a need for starting pitching and may try to structure a deal for a pitcher like Bedard who has an injury history, but also I don't believe has been overworked, he certainly has not since he pitched with the Orioles.  The Yankees had pretty good experience with Garcia and Colon, thus, the MFYs may consider taking a chance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I agree that that price tag for Beltran is a bit high, but looking at his stats, he's a major improvement over J.D.Drew. ...but then again, Pee Wee Herman would be an improvement over Drew.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I won't miss your endless posts about JD. That's for sure. To see such a quiet man be so beaten down by a fan base is a lot to take. Let the hate go already. The guy was just a baseball player, and, IMO, trying to do his best. He may have been one of the best defensive RF the Sox have had. Unfortunately, with posters like you who don't understand the value of defense -- preventing runs FTR -- he will be remembered for not being the best offensive player on the team. That's a shame.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

No No No , Please follow closely. Free up money letting Papi, Wake, Tek all walk. Use Lavarnway at DH, and backup catcher to Salty. Then Trade Youk, and some proespects for Gio Gonzalez, use  some  money and sign Cespedes! He will replace Papi's numbers for years to come and also give us the best arm in right since Dewey. Get a incentive laden deal for Gavin Floyd ( innings eater). Bring up some youth and groom them for the future to fill out some offensive role backup roles.

J Lester
    G Gonzales
    J Beckett
    C Bucholtz
    G Floyd
    with Dice K, and Aceves both as long relief
    D Bard Closer of the future

J Ellsbury
    Pedey
    Cespedes
    Agon
    C crawford
                         A nice core to build around with some upcoming young talent

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Papi contract insanity is overwhelming. If he accepts arb then he will receive a one year GUARANTEED deal for $14; that's almost two years of Vlad. Vlad in the Sox lineup puts up Papi like numbers at a pretty good savings, plus being a RH bat.

If I'm Ben I'm hoping Papi doesn't accept arb and I have Youk as my DH with the ability to give AGon a day a week as DH. Save $14 M to go toward the pen, starter or RF and have a multi faceted DH.

You know Papi will be unhappy unless he gets the security of a three year deal of $10 +. Cut the cord, if possible, before he accepts arb, by offering him a realistic, 2 year, $8 M deal to come back as DH--if that's disrespecting go out and sign for more. Thanks for the memories.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

Send Youk and Lowrie to Chicago and get Garza to finish comp case If they dont take it send it to the comish and get it over with. Trade Beckett and sign Oswalt. Beckett will bring young talent for the minors. Sign Beltran and let Middlebrooks play 3rd for 50 games and see how he does Look later to fill out the rest although Jason Kubel would be a good roster addition

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]No No No , Please follow closely. Free up money letting Papi, Wake, Tek all walk. Use Lavarnway at DH, and backup catcher to Salty. Then Trade Youk, and some proespects for Gio Gonzalez, use  some  money and sign Cespedes! He will replace Papi's numbers for years to come and also give us the best arm in right since Dewey. Get a incentive laden deal for Gavin Floyd ( innings eater). Bring up some youth and groom them for the future to fill out some offensive role backup roles. J Lester G Gonzales J Beckett C Bucholtz G Floyd with Dice K, and Aceves both as long relief D Bard Closer of the future J Ellsbury Pedey Cespedes Agon C crawford                      A nice core to build around with some upcoming young talent
    Posted by LegendofBoston[/QUOTE]

I really like your lineup with especially Cespedes in it.  But Yankees are trying their best to take him away.  You know when Yankees are involved seriously. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I actually think they won't sign Ortiz.  If they wanted him back, he'd be back by now.  The hang up appears to be the years, but it doesn't look like any other teams are burying him with multiyear offers, and a 36yo DH isn't an impulse buy, especially with year-round interleague play coming soon...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadow721. Show Shadow721's posts

[QUOTE]Beltran value ends at 1 year and 8M Oswalt value ends at 1 year and 1M plus incentives Oritz market is unlikely to be more than 2 years and about 20M, so you might be right on this. Ortiz value ends at 1 year and about 10M, but if Wastefield and Varitek were paid nearly 6 million for drinking beer in 2011, a 1 or 2 year golden parachute for Ortiz is only fair. Ortiz earned that with his production in 2010 and 2011, Wastefield and Varisuk have been multi-million parasites for years.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]
    Hey......Send me a case of what you've been drinking......

Sections
Shortcuts