sox wont carry three catchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

sox wont carry three catchers

when the sox break camp one catcher will be sent down or

the sox will make a deal for another player.i would think they

would trade salty maybe for another outfielder or something.

mike bourne would be good i thing he is a free agent maybe

pick him up and pick-up a pitcher with cash for salty.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: sox wont carry three catchers

Lava didn't have good enough short season with the Red Sox last season.  He will be playing at AAA until Salty gets injured or traded.  But I don't see the trade happening only few weeks left until pitchers and catchers report.  If Salty were to get traded, it will be during the mid season or before the deadline, just like Ellsbury.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to soxyjim's comment:

when the sox break camp one catcher will be sent down or

the sox will make a deal for another player.i would think they

would trade salty maybe for another outfielder or something.

mike bourne would be good i thing he is a free agent maybe

pick him up and pick-up a pitcher with cash for salty.

I assume the Red Sox would be sending cash with Jarrod Saltalamacchia to cover part of his $4.5 million salary (unless the pitcher in return has a comparable salary).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trading Salty makes some sense, especially if we think we are not strong contnders this year, but more likely he stays and Lava plays FT in AAA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Trading Salty makes some sense, especially if we think we are not strong contnders this year, but more likely he stays and Lava plays FT in AAA.

You don't wan to punt this season if you are the Red Sox. You need to play important games in September. I would be more willing to trade Lavarnway to get a nice piece going forward.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I disagree with the trading Salty approach. He is the #1 catcher on this team and unless the return in a trade fit to cover another team need and not a return of prospects, I say keep him...he will be better in 2013.

In addition, I also believe the Sox will only carry 2 catchers and they will likely be Salty and Ross...sorry but the future Carlton Fisk will be demoted to AAA or traded. Napoli would be available in an emergency situation to fill in at catcher...but he will predominantly be at 1B.

Acquiring Michael Bourn does not fit based on the OFs already on the roster. Bourn is an everyday player and not a platoon type, plus he doesn't also play 1B to back up Napoli. So unless Ellsbury is traded the outfield will consist of Victorino, Ellsbury and Gomes...with Nava or the 'TBD' player covering for Gomes against certain RH pitchers.

NOTE: TBD player is the apparent backup LH hitting OF/1B that the team is seeking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Depends on the return for Salty.  I think the Sox are fine w/ a Ross/Lava platoon (Ross getting the lion's share of the PT).

However, they deem the value of Salty (righty pop off the bench, back up 1B, back up C) outweighs what they would receive in return.  If they make this determination, Lava starts in AAA.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

Drewski, the Red Sox Town Hall meeting was near you. Did you go to it?

Unfortunately , I did not.  I did not hear of the event until it had passed. Too bad because I would have loved to go.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Boston pitching staff has great potential, but the Red Sox would be best-served by giving David Ross at least 120 starts this season.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia probably is not the catcher to turn around the Sox pitching fortunes. Here are the CERA numbers for Red Sox catchers in 2012 (IP in parentheses):

4.84 (852) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

3.77 (377) - Kelly Shoppach

5.75 (219) - Ryan Lavarnway

Most folks see Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz at the front end of the Boston rotation. Here are the 2012 CERA numbers for their catchers:

Jon Lester

5.62 (107.1) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

3.70 (48.2) - Kelly Shoppach

4.01 (49.1) - Ryan Lavarnway

Clay Buchholz

6.30 (75.2) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

3.23 (78) - Kelly Shoppach

3.79 (35.2) - Ryan Lavarnway

Saltalamacchia likely will be difficult to trade because other teams are aware of these numbers and because Saltalamacchia carries a 2013 salary of $4.5 million.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You don't wan to punt this season if you are the Red Sox. You need to play important games in September. I would be more willing to trade Lavarnway to get a nice piece going forward.

I didn't want to punt after the Dodger trade, but after seeing us play it halfway this winter, I'm all for trading Ellsbury, Salty and anyone else not in our future plans beyond 2013 or 2014.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The Boston pitching staff has great potential, but the Red Sox would be best-served by giving David Ross at least 120 starts this season.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia probably is not the catcher to turn around the Sox pitching fortunes. Here are the CERA numbers for Red Sox catchers in 2012 (IP in parentheses):

4.84 (852) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

3.77 (377) - Kelly Shoppach

5.75 (219) - Ryan Lavarnway

Most folks see Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz at the front end of the Boston rotation. Here are the 2012 CERA numbers for their catchers:

Jon Lester

5.62 (107.1) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

3.70 (48.2) - Kelly Shoppach

4.01 (49.1) - Ryan Lavarnway

Clay Buchholz

6.30 (75.2) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

3.23 (78) - Kelly Shoppach

3.79 (35.2) - Ryan Lavarnway

Saltalamacchia likely will be difficult to trade because other teams are aware of these numbers and because Saltalamacchia carries a 2013 salary of $4.5 million.

A had a thread on Salty's CERA after April 23,2012. He made great improvements and was nearly equal to Shoppach after that date. It remains to be seen if the trend continues.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Lava can hit and looks good in camp,  does he replace Salty?  If not then is he a candidate for first base if Napoli is having problems?

Im actually kinda, sorta, a little, somewhat surprised one of Salty/Lava hasn't been traded yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

im not surprised. Ben is using 2013 to make the final decision on our catcher of the future debate. Salty gets 1 more year to prove he can handle the staff, produce offensively and develop his defensive game further. Lava gets another year in AAA to hone his entire catching game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I didn't want to punt after the Dodger trade, but after seeing us play it halfway this winter, I'm all for trading Ellsbury, Salty and anyone else not in our future plans beyond 2013 or 2014.

The lost of Ellsbury or Salty would probably be net loss unless you hit a home run.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lava = Lars...

keep Salty - he rakes, plays hard, is a good guy, and knows what it is to overcome issues..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If Lava can hit and looks good in camp,  does he replace Salty?  If not then is he a candidate for first base if Napoli is having problems?

Im actually kinda, sorta, a little, somewhat surprised one of Salty/Lava hasn't been traded yet.

If they don't think Lava can handle MLB they should trade him fast while he still has value.  and if they do then why did they sign Ross?

Salty is a fine MLB catcher. He isn't good, he isn't bad.  He's fine.  Nothing to get excited or angry about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

I watched it on NESN. It was moderated by TC and Cherrington and Farrell were well prepared and fielded all questions very well. I like the presence of Farrell and he sounds like he will command much respect.

I saw a 5 minute clip on the internet and completely agree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The lost of Ellsbury or Salty would probably be net loss unless you hit a home run.

What's a net loss on a season that is likely to be a loss anyways? 

The gain would be possibly realized in the future.

I'm Ok with extending Salty at a reasonable cost and trading Lava.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Of course they won't carry three catchers.

They already have four.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It looks like Lavarnway starts the year in AAA but I have zero problem trading Salty while he still has some value. He's gone at the end of this year unless we resign him. I'm pretty sure he is not going to earn type A status and get us a pick. Maybe if we start the year strong this approach makes sense and we have a chance to win for sure but if we are under 500 at the break say bye bye to Salty IMO. I'd rather give the starter job to Ross and use Lavarnway and Napoli as back ups. I don't think we are done yet. 

Sections
Shortcuts