sox wont carry three catchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: sox wont carry three catchers

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Bill James prjects a .021 OPS increase by Salty this year.

i guess he doesn't think much of salty? I think salty will do big things this year. Mainly a modest increase in his OBP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I still think Lavarnway is better defensively than Salty, but I'm with you on his bat...very limited hitting zone. Good coaching can fix that however.

Right now, Salty is better defensively and in handling a staff he knows pretty well by now. Salty also showed vast improvement blocking the plate and pitch-calling last year. Lava has a lot to learn.

I guess I should have said that Lav has better skills defensively but you're right, they need to be developed. Salty's experience is what would give him the edge defensively.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Salty and Ross on the opening day roster and Lav with the Pawsox. This is what Ben said at the Town Hall meeting last week. Go ahead and speculate otherwise if you find that to be entertaining.

Last years town hall meeting was awesome.

Front office said everything was fantastic.

How that work out?

Front Office didn't know at the Town Hall meeting of January 2012 that the team would be injury ridden and that key players would underperform. On paper last year we had a very good team. They had reason to be optimistic.

Last years failure had little do do with injury, try to keep up.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Salty and Ross on the opening day roster and Lav with the Pawsox. This is what Ben said at the Town Hall meeting last week. Go ahead and speculate otherwise if you find that to be entertaining.

Last years town hall meeting was awesome.

Front office said everything was fantastic.

How that work out?

Front Office didn't know at the Town Hall meeting of January 2012 that the team would be injury ridden and that key players would underperform. On paper last year we had a very good team. They had reason to be optimistic.

Last years failure had little do do with injury, try to keep up.

Except that it did.  Not saying the pitching didn't stink and valentine wasn't a nightmare.  Those, to me, are the bigger factors.  But to say that losing Papi, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Bailey, Pedey for huge chunks of time wasn't a big factor seems to lack perspective.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox had more players on the DL list than any team since 1986 and their injuries kept key position players out of the lineup for weeks. The losses were huge, on top of that was the unexpected underperformance of Beckett amd Lester,  only a troll would not notice this. Yet so many gullible regular posters look for a single scapegoat. It must be human nature. What a forum.

No, the gullible poster is the one that thinks the trend of injuries will miraculously end in 2013.

The posters who now expect injury and some "below projection performances" are labelled "pessimists" or "foils". What a joke!

The posters who continously have looked at the new players replacing the old and saw great expectations dashed over and over again to the point of snapping out of the reoccuring dilema and becomming realists are now called "gullible" by a poster who spends 95% of his time pretending to care about the Sox and this forum while at the same time destroying countless baseball threads by derailing and distracting from anything to do with baseball and the great team named the Sox. 

The forum would be greatly improved if this clown would just leave.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

im not surprised. Ben is using 2013 to make the final decision on our catcher of the future debate. Salty gets 1 more year to prove he can handle the staff, produce offensively and develop his defensive game further. Lava gets another year in AAA to hone his entire catching game.

Exactly mef. This is what I was wanting all along too.

Funny thing is I was calling for them to get Ross before he was signed, calling for Lav to start in AAA and calling for the Sox to let Salty play out his final arb year in Boston. Looks like all my catching wishes will come true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

The Red Sox had more players on the DL list than any team since 1986 and their injuries kept key position players out of the lineup for weeks. The losses were huge, on top of that was the unexpected underperformance of Beckett amd Lester,  only a troll would not notice this. Yet so many gullible regular posters look for a single scapegoat. It must be human nature. What a forum.

No, the gullible poster is the one that thinks the trend of injuries will miraculously end in 2013.

The posters who now expect injury and some "below projection performances" are labelled "pessimists" or "foils". What a joke!

The posters who continously have looked at the new players replacing the old and saw great expectations dashed over and over again to the point of snapping out of the reoccuring dilema and becomming realists are now called "gullible" by a poster who spends 95% of his time pretending to care about the Sox and this forum while at the same time destroying countless baseball threads by derailing and distracting from anything to do with baseball and the great team named the Sox. 

The forum would be greatly improved if this clown would just leave.

My favourite "development" here this off season is Moon's alleged "transformation" from optimist to pessimist.

Moon, I think your assessment of the Sox' activity this winter is wrong i.e. I think you think they took the low road of deliberate compromise.  I disagree but won't repeat my reasons as that's not the point now and you've heard it all before anyway. But being an optimist is not the same as having blind ignorance.....

Further, being an optimist or a pessimist is not a choice it's an ingrained ......tendency. 

Ah, fuggit, let's all take LSD and listen to Acid Rock.

It's fine being an optimist. I've been a cautious one for 5 years in a row.

Every year, I looked at who we lost vs who we gained and saw great potential, but the difference was that we started from a better place than we are this year.

I'm not calling optimists "blind" or "ignorant", but wasreally just calling out the clown for calling us realists "gullible.

As for this, "the low road of deliberate compromise ", I just wanted us to make at least one signing or trade that helped us for 2014 and beyond. Then, when seeing all the money spent, I thought we'd at least be closer to being strong contenders than we are now.

I still have hope. Maybe I'll come around after a while, but I just can't see it happening in 2013. Afterall, I thought we were a top starter away last year, and the year before, and the year before, and we were better back then than now, and we still never got that top starter.

I don't think I'm a pessimist, but I am trying to be realistic.

Your not a pessimist. You, like all of us, have seen one heck of a roster on paper the last 3-4 years which hasnt lived up to the hype. Whether it me underperforming, injuries, a whackjob for a manager or a FO that steered the ship the wrong way. We as fans were, and rightly so, were expecting at least a playoff appearence and got nothing.

Now, although this year doesnt have the "star" names on this team and were coming off the worst year Ive ever witnessed, I think the clubhouse atmosphere will be better and Im a true believer that that helps a team. You have a number of players with this year to prove themselves from injuries, underperformance, for a bigger payday or possibly being resigned.

It always boils down to one thing though. Pitching. They certainly have the talent. The question is can they live up to it this year like in years past. I believe they can. We'll have to wait and see...A new Manager, new staff, lots of talent in the upper minors and no big expectations.

To me, this year is a better recipe for success...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

im not surprised. Ben is using 2013 to make the final decision on our catcher of the future debate. Salty gets 1 more year to prove he can handle the staff, produce offensively and develop his defensive game further. Lava gets another year in AAA to hone his entire catching game.

Funny thing is I was calling for them to get Ross before he was signed, calling for Lav to start in AAA and calling for the Sox to let Salty play out his final arb year in Boston. Looks like all my catching wishes will come true.

that's because your a smart man southpaw. you know what the deal is. it really is the best way to go about it. Salty is no sure thing, Ross is the best BU catcher in the game and Lava's game could use another year in AAA for further refinement.. 1 more year gives you a MUCH clearer picture of the catching situation to base a decision on. The only downside is that we might have to overpay salty a little bit if he has a great year but that's hardly a reason to shy away from this plan.

maybe when Moon becomes the GM he will hire you on as a consultant :)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Lava = Lars...

keep Salty - he rakes, plays hard, is a good guy, and knows what it is to overcome issues..

Totally agree.  Plus, even if we assume Lava is ready or will be ready soon, he's got options left so just stash him in AAA for a year and we'll have him from 2014 through 2019 instead of 2013 through 2018.  Our catching situation is far from a priority......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

don't really understand what the big question is. Lavarnway is 24 years old. he has a grand total of 192 ABs and a .172 average/4 HRS/20 RBIs/.516 OPS/.230 OBP and 51 strikeouts. By most accounts his defense is a work in progress. the team isn't sold on his ability to get it done at the major league level in the same way they are not sold on Iggy. if Lavarnway has a huge year in AAA this year it'll change the discussion and you might see Salty move on. Right now they have a stronger defensive catcher in place in Ross and a guy with a little more pop in Salty. Obviously, in a perfect world Salty would be stronger defensively, but finding catchers who can do both is not an easy proposition. the time has come for iglesias and lavarnway to show they are ready by having solid full seasons in the minors. can't see the team making a move early on. 

think there will potentialy be a bigger logjam with relievers if bard and bailey pitch well early on and everyone stays healthy. seemingly one or two (aceves?) will have to go. unless it brings a significant player in return don't think moving morales is a good idea as he represents the best back-up option as a starter.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lava already had a big season in AAA, so I'm not sure another one is going to change much, except if we see marked improvement on defense and pitcher handling (hard to quantify in AAA).

Lava didn't play catcher all the way through college, so he is a relative nebiw at age 24. Yes, he needs time, but this year is all about "time", as in a time bridge to 2014 or 2015.

I have been giving Salty some props on this thread, but I still think that if we aren't intending to extend him, we should deal him for something that will help us in 2014 and beyond, perhaps in a package.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bill James prjects a .021 OPS increase by Salty this year.

i guess he doesn't think much of salty? I think salty will do big things this year. Mainly a modest increase in his OBP

Adding .021 to Salty's 2012 OPS would make him about the 9th best catcher by OPS with 450 PAs in MLB last year.

I'd say that is thinking much of Salty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

that's because your a smart man southpaw. you know what the deal is. it really is the best way to go about it. Salty is no sure thing, Ross is the best BU catcher in the game and Lava's game could use another year in AAA for further refinement.. 1 more year gives you a MUCH clearer picture of the catching situation to base a decision on. The only downside is that we might have to overpay salty a little bit if he has a great year but that's hardly a reason to shy away from this plan.

maybe when Moon becomes the GM he will hire you on as a consultant :)

Ha...I accept the position mef...With me and moon running things, you can expect a perenial playoff team.

Salty is getting about half of what FG lists his worth at this year based on last years numbers.One more year will def give us a better picture of the catching situation going forward. I really think we will see even more improvement from Salty this year leading to a possible longer term deal to stay in Boston. hes better than most think...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is if the staff does much better this year, the Salty-bashers will give the credit to Farrell.

Anyone know if Farrell will continue the team philosophy of not being overly concerned with holding runners on base?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Who would have thought that Salty would lead the Red Sox in homers in 2012?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Who would have thought that Salty would lead the Red Sox in homers in 2012?  

Not me, but I did project 30 HRs from our catchers in 2012.

(I was mostly laughed at for that, and it was one of the few things I was even close to right about.)

Sections
Shortcuts