Soxprospects rates trade chips

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Soxprospects rates trade chips

Interesting read from Mike Andrews this morning. Not sure that I agree 100% with his assessments but it was an interesting and thoughtful analysis IMO. In particular given Farrell's background in player development I think I'd rather see Rubby DLR, Linares and Brentz given real shots to make the big club in ST than see them go in any trades. Unless of course we could get a true TOR ace for the starting rotation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Soxprospects rates trade chips

In response to carnie's comment:

Interesting read from Mike Andrews this morning. Not sure that I agree 100% with his assessments but it was an interesting and thoughtful analysis IMO. In particular given Farrell's background in player development I think I'd rather see Rubby DLR, Linares and Brentz given real shots to make the big club in ST than see them go in any trades. Unless of course we could get a true TOR ace for the starting rotation.

thanks for the link...good stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Read it this morning too carnie. Id like to see those 3 get a shot as well...Linares seems to be a solid hitter, Brentz did very well for himself in AFL, and Rubby has a ton of upside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Read it this morning too carnie. Id like to see those 3 get a shot as well...Linares seems to be a solid hitter, Brentz did very well for himself in AFL, and Rubby has a ton of upside.

Linares is also an excellent defensive outfielder by all accounts. And Brentz had a very good postseason for Pawtucket in addition to his showing in the AFL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Hey...At least the Bosox have chips to trade...The Yanks cannot afford to let Tyler Austin, Gary Sanchez or Mason Williams go anywhere...As for Banuelos, he is getting TJ surgery and will not be seen until 2014...Betances has been terrible with his shoulder tendinitis....What he will evolve into, if anything utilizable, is anyone's bet...The Yankee farm system is pathetic prospect-wise...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

Hey...At least the Bosox have chips to trade...The Yanks cannot afford to let Tyler Austin, Gary Sanchez or Mason Williams go anywhere...As for Banuelos, he is getting TJ surgery and will not be seen until 2014...Betances has been terrible with his shoulder tendinitis....What he will evolve into, if anything utilizable, is anyone's bet...The Yankee farm system is pathetic prospect-wise...

They can't be all that bad. Scranton was in the International League playoffs this year. And the recent history of pitchers coming back from TJ surgery is pretty good, look at what Tazawa did for the Sox this year. I wouldn't count out Banuelos just yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Interesting.  Most of the players I agree with.  On Rubby DLR, I think we have to give some development time.  there would be nothing to be gained from trading him.  On Fields, I have no idea why he wasn't given a shot last Septembe.  I know he is old for his level, but he had a 19/2 K/W in 13.2 in AAA.  He's a 1st rounder.  I'd give him a fair shot to make the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I think we need to give the young kids a shot and develope a good young core and then use are recources to fill in the gaps.  Good things will develope just be patient.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Thanks for the link, Carnie.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice read.

We are likely to pick up a 1Bman, so I would add Gomez to that list. We may also see Sands dealt as part of a package.

I think Brentz is the likely trade chip this winter. I'd also add Britton and Pimental to the list of possible trade package inclusions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Interesting.  Most of the players I agree with.  On Rubby DLR, I think we have to give some development time.  there would be nothing to be gained from trading him.  On Fields, I have no idea why he wasn't given a shot last Septembe.  I know he is old for his level, but he had a 19/2 K/W in 13.2 in AAA.  He's a 1st rounder.  I'd give him a fair shot to make the team.

Fields only had maybe a month at AAA last year.  I would have been surprised if they brought him up.  I saw him pitch at Portland quite a bit.  he had good stuff.  He will be up at some point this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Carney, there is a lot of garbage in that list, but a few players with potential to have decent MLB careers. I am deeply grateful for that link.

Softy, which of those hardworking young men with a dream of playing in MLB are "garbage"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Carney, there is a lot of garbage in that list, but a few players with potential to have decent MLB careers. I am deeply grateful for that link.

Softy, which of those hardworking young men with a dream of playing in MLB are "garbage"?

Unfortunately Trotter reverts back to his descriptive language that keeps some great comments from being appreciated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I found interesting statistical parallels between Rubby de la Rosa and Seattle pitcher Erasmo Ramirez, another 5-foot-11, 205-pound righthander who made his MLB debut in his age 22 season (although technically Ramirez made his first appearance at age 21).

Here are their stats for their age 22 seasons that caused each to lose his prospect status by exceeding 50 innings pitched:

2011 DLR 60.2 IP, 3.71 ERA, 31 BB, 60 K, 100 ERA+, 1.40 WHIP, 1.94 K/BB
    2012 E R 59.0 IP, 3.36 ERA, 12 BB, 48 K, 112 ERA+, 1.00 WHIP, 4.00 K/BB

De la Rosa once struck out eight in a six-inning start against the Padres while Ramirez struck out 10 in an eight-inning start against the postseason-bound Athletics.

De la Rosa and Ramirez differ in that de la Rosa is a flame-thrower with control issues while Ramirez is more of a finesse pitcher with superb control. Here are their minor league lines:

de la Rosa 233 IP, 2.86 ERA, 103 BB, 237 K, 1.25 WHIP, 2.30 K/BB
    Ramirez 532.2 IP, 3.19 ERA, 85 BB, 417 K, 1.14 WHIP, 4.91 K/BB

Ramirez is a year younger than de la Rosa, but each has a shot of making his team's starting rotation to open the 2013 season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I found interesting statistical parallels between Rubby de la Rosa and Seattle pitcher Erasmo Ramirez, another 5-foot-11, 205-pound righthander who made his MLB debut in his age 22 season (although technically Ramirez made his first appearance at age 21).

Here are their stats for their age 22 seasons that caused each to lose his prospect status by exceeding 50 innings pitched:

2011 DLR 60.2 IP, 3.71 ERA, 31 BB, 60 K, 100 ERA+, 1.40 WHIP, 1.94 K/BB
    2012 E R 59.0 IP, 3.36 ERA, 12 BB, 48 K, 112 ERA+, 1.00 WHIP, 4.00 K/BB

De la Rosa once struck out eight in a six-inning start against the Padres while Ramirez struck out 10 in an eight-inning start against the postseason-bound Athletics.

De la Rosa and Ramirez differ in that de la Rosa is a flame-thrower with control issues while Ramirez is more of a finesse pitcher with superb control. Here are their minor league lines:

de la Rosa 233 IP, 2.86 ERA, 103 BB, 237 K, 1.25 WHIP, 2.30 K/BB
    Ramirez 532.2 IP, 3.19 ERA, 85 BB, 417 K, 1.14 WHIP, 4.91 K/BB

Ramirez is a year younger than de la Rosa, but each has a shot of making his team's starting rotation to open the 2013 season.

Looks more perpendicular than parallel.

:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nice read.

We are likely to pick up a 1Bman, so I would add Gomez to that list. We may also see Sands dealt as part of a package.

I think Brentz is the likely trade chip this winter. I'd also add Britton and Pimental to the list of possible trade package inclusions.

Gomez is a free agent.  He might return, but I think if they re-sign him, it's to keep him.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What prospects we trade will depend on the needs of the other team. We can say this guy and that guy will probably be trade chips this winter, but the bottom line is the needs of the other team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

What prospects we trade will depend on the needs of the other team. We can say this guy and that guy will probably be trade chips this winter, but the bottom line is the needs of the other team.

Yup.  Most trades are exchanging 4 quarters for a dollar.  If a guy is ranked #150, that's what we're getting back.  The only time when you can make a good deal is when someone else is desperate.  That's how we got the Big Dump.  LA had about the worst 1B and we had one of the best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Yup.  Most trades are exchanging 4 quarters for a dollar.  If a guy is ranked #150, that's what we're getting back.  The only time when you can make a good deal is when someone else is desperate.  That's how we got the Big Dump.  LA had about the worst 1B and we had one of the best.

And we better make damn sure that we don't have the worst first baseman next season because if there is one guy on the 2012 team that needs to be shown the door and let back in it is Loney.  This guy really sucks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Loney is back in any meaningful role, this is surely a "bridge year".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bump to leapfrog the softy front page invasion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bump again :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think some 2 or 3 for 1 deals are forthcoming. There will be a logjam soon, and by next winter we may lose players to rule 5.

Sections
Shortcuts