Spending Money

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

Spending Money

You know the Sox nation spent a lot of money reclessly in the past few years. But wait lets looks at how much the Dodgers have spent since last August. They spent over $247 million to get the Sox players. $147 million to get Zack Grinke and $63 million on Hyun-Jin Ryu.  That is around $457 million to change the Dodgers. Never complain about the Sox spending

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Re: Spending Money

In response to ArtWikle's comment:

You know the Sox nation spent a lot of money reclessly in the past few years. But wait lets looks at how much the Dodgers have spent since last August. They spent over $247 million to get the Sox players. $147 million to get Zack Grinke and $63 million on Hyun-Jin Ryu.  That is around $457 million to change the Dodgers. Never complain about the Sox spending

I think the spending so far has brought very good players with good clubhouse presence. A very good move, I believe enough to help us compete for third place. To move higher hinges upon:

1. What Lester shows up next year and give 200 plus innings, 15-19 wins?

2. Will Clay stay healthy and give us 17 wins, 180 innings?

3. Will Doubront move up and deliver 15 wins, 160-180 innings.?

4. Will Lackey come back to competitor form and give 14-17 wins while giving 200 plus innings?

If 1-4 above hit the high end we have 68 wins from this group and the innings help the bullpen. Our fifth starter.... How many wins, the bullpen and fill in starters how many wins?

Without another quality arm, we are a good team to place third, another power bat in the outfield also, Swisher also let's the farm develop without overspending on Hamilton.

Ownership is trying to spend carefully, I understand, but right now you are selling tickets for a team destined to finish,,,, perhaps third.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Clayton Kershaw - S - Dodgers

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Monday that the club could explore a contract extension with left-hander Clayton Kershaw in the coming weeks.

Colletti was asked the question at the press conference for left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu. Kershaw is owed $11 million next season and remains under team control through 2014, so there's not a huge sense of urgency to get a deal done right away, but Zack Greinke's six-year, $147 million contract would likely function as the benchmark for any talks. He could top $200 million when it's all said and done.

Source: Dylan Hernandez on Twitter Dec 10 - 5:53 PM

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to bald-predictions's comment:

Clayton Kershaw - S - Dodgers

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Monday that the club could explore a contract extension with left-hander Clayton Kershaw in the coming weeks.

Colletti was asked the question at the press conference for left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu. Kershaw is owed $11 million next season and remains under team control through 2014, so there's not a huge sense of urgency to get a deal done right away, but Zack Greinke's six-year, $147 million contract would likely function as the benchmark for any talks. He could top $200 million when it's all said and done.

Source: Dylan Hernandez on Twitter Dec 10 - 5:53 PM

wow. kershaw is head and shoulders better than grienke. he should be getting a similar deal regardless. good time to be a SP...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I thought the State of California was hurting financially. But still baseball and other pro sports teams are spending money like drunken sailors. Sometimes I don't understand why during poor economics money is still spent foolishly. I don't know about anybody else, but spending money to help the economy is good, then there is squandering.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

I thought the State of California was hurting financially. But still baseball and other pro sports teams are spending money like drunken sailors. Sometimes I don't understand why during poor economics money is still spent foolishly. I don't know about anybody else, but spending money to help the economy is good, then there is squandering.

Whether a sports team spends poorly, foolishly, or like drinken sailors is none of our business.  After all, it's their money.  

In capitalism, the rich get rich and the poor get poor.  It sucks.  But that's life.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

I don't know the details, but MLB has gotten a huge infusion of money from TV contracts.

All teams have more money than they did previously.

That said, yes, the Dodger are taking spending to a new level.

It'll be interesting to see how far all this money gets them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to LeftyGrove's comment:

I think the spending so far has brought very good players with good clubhouse presence. A very good move, I believe enough to help us compete for third place. To move higher hinges upon:

1. What Lester shows up next year and give 200 plus innings, 15-19 wins?

2. Will Clay stay healthy and give us 17 wins, 180 innings?

3. Will Doubront move up and deliver 15 wins, 160-180 innings.?

4. Will Lackey come back to competitor form and give 14-17 wins while giving 200 plus innings?

If 1-4 above hit the high end we have 68 wins from this group and the innings help the bullpen. Our fifth starter.... How many wins, the bullpen and fill in starters how many wins?

Without another quality arm, we are a good team to place third, another power bat in the outfield also, Swisher also let's the farm develop without overspending on Hamilton.

Ownership is trying to spend carefully, I understand, but right now you are selling tickets for a team destined to finish,,,, perhaps third.

Third ? So what !! BIG DEAL !! who really cares ? Sox will sell out and know  nothing fans will alway bit...ch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Dodgers have a contract with a cable station coming for money that more than supports any amount they wish to spend on the team. I believe someone said the amount was rumored to be over a billion dollars. Paying the payroll is no longer their issue, winning is the issue now.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to traven's comment:

Dodgers have a contract with a cable station coming for money that more than supports any amount they wish to spend on the team. I believe someone said the amount was rumored to be over a billion dollars. Paying the payroll is no longer their issue, winning is the issue now.

Good point Traven.....the spending isnt a problem is your revenues can cover it......something the Federal and State Governments need to understand but don't......from a baseball perspective, spending isnt a problem if the players perform at the level you expect them to.....CC, didnt, Josh didnt(on his last contract)...Agon was close, but lets face it we all expected more......the Sox this year seem to be Ok with paying salaries in the high end of what a guy is worth as long as the deal is short enough that you can recover for mistakes sooner......I do think however that this, no more than 3 years for Josh Hamilton is Short sighted....if 4 years could get it done, I think quibbling over 1 year for a guy who wanted 7 years originally, and who will probably get 4 years elsewhere. 

Sections
Shortcuts