sports books

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

sports books

Moring folks, i consider myself a pretty wide-ranging sports book reader, will read about any sport or any team...i was at the library late Saturday checking out the sports book section and came across two books that looked interesting, Emperors and Idiots( 100 years of Yanks/Sox rivalry) and Wicked Good Year (the 2007-08 Sox/Pats/Celts)...about to finish up a Yankee book, before i start, just wanted to ask if any of you have read either of these books?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: sports books

I read the Emperors and Idiots book a few years ago.  As I recall it's not one of the best written baseball books, a lot of it is rehashed stuff, but it is worth reading.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: sports books:
    I read the Emperors and Idiots book a few years ago.  As I recall it's not one of the best written baseball books, a lot of it is rehashed stuff, but it is worth reading.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    thanks Nut'...i'm about to finish up Bleeding Pinstripes(about the Bleacher Creatures..those guys are nuts..LOL)  i'll read E&I after that...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Reading Living on the Black at the moment.  Feinstein is not the greatest journalist, but it is a very thorough look into the life of a modern day mlb pitcher and his process.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Hey Jete,

Read Emperors and Idiots a couple years back.  Liked it. 

If you're looking for a decent read about the game itself, check out If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock.  It's largely fiction, but the stats and baseball history in it is not fiction.  Really good (and quick) read.

Good luck down the stretch!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Hey Jete, Read Emperors and Idiots a couple years back.  Liked it.  If you're looking for a decent read about the game itself, check out If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock.  It's largely fiction, but the stats and baseball history in it is not fiction.  Really good (and quick) read. Good luck down the stretch!
    Posted by soups

I remember when that book (If I Never Get Back) came out. It was at least 20 years or longer -- I think the late '80s. I remember skimming it in the book store and I was going to buy it but didn't have the extra money at the time (poor college days).

I always meant to get it then forgot about it. I'm glad you brought it up. I need to find it and read it because I remember reading about 20 pages or so at the book store and was thoroughly engrossed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: sports books : I remember when that book (If I Never Get Back) came out. It was at least 20 years or longer -- I think the late '80s. I remember skimming it in the book store and I was going to buy it but didn't have the extra money at the time (poor college days). I always meant to get it then forgot about it. I'm glad you brought it up. I need to find it and read it because I remember reading about 20 pages or so at the book store and was thoroughly engrossed.
    Posted by royf19
    hey roy..fyi....if you can't find it by you..$10.95 on Amazon...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

I just finished Bottom of the 33rd, which is about the 1981 game between Pawtucket and Rochester, the longest game in history.  Interesting read for anyone, but especially Sox fans.

If I Never Get Back is a great book, highly recommended.

Also, I recently read The House That Ruth Built, which is about the building of Yankee Stadium and the 1923 season.  More interesting for Yankee fans, but it is a great baseball book.  It really gives you a good sense of what is was like to be a fan when baseball was king.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Last sports book I read was "56," a pretty neat account of DiMaggio's hitting streak set in the backdrop of WWII breaking out. I recommend, even for my fellow Sox fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: sports books : hey roy..fyi....if you can't find it by you..$10.95 on Amazon...
    Posted by jete02fan

Thanks. There's a huge used book store near me that has a pretty good selection. If I can't find it there, I'll try Amazon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Good topic, Jete

Franconas book "Red Sox Rule"  chronicles his life in baseball; growing up the son of a player, as a player, a manager, journey of the 2004 season/championship. Good read for Sox Fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Of course, my all-time favorite is "All the Wrong Stuff."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Anybody ever read Bob Ryan's book "When Boston Won the World Series." It's on the 1903 team/series. I never heard of the book but a guy I work with -- a Yankees' fan -- had it and brought it in for me. It looks like a quick read, about 180 pages.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Of course, my all-time favorite is "All the Wrong Stuff."
    Posted by LloydDobler

Of course.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: sports books : Of course.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Who knew you had literary talent like that, Space?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There's a sequel to If I Never Get Back, but it's not as good.

Thanks to all for the other recommendations. 

Sections
Shortcuts