Sports PhD Thesis Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Sports PhD Thesis Question

I am wondering about an issue many have brought up.

Injuries.

Why are there so many we've asked.

Thesis question:  Are there more injuries in the game now than in eras gone by?
    This includes position players as well as pitchers.  Serious, season ending injuries as well as minor ones (15 day DL, for example).

We remember pitchers throwing over 300 innings with regularity, 40 - 45 starts or more a season.

That would never happen these days.

Cal Jr. would never make his Iron Man run with Tito.

We're really trying to protect our guys ... is it working?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Sports PhD Thesis Question

In Response to Sports PhD Thesis Question:
    I am wondering about an issue many have brought up. Injuries. Why are there so many we've asked. Thesis question:  Are there more injuries in the game now than in eras gone by? This includes position players as well as pitchers.  Serious, season ending injuries as well as minor ones (15 day DL, for example). We remember pitchers throwing over 300 innings with regularity, 40 - 45 starts or more a season. That would never happen these days. Cal Jr. would never make his Iron Man run with Tito. We're really trying to protect our guys ... is it working?
    Posted by SinceYaz

About pitchers: 

Go look at the pitchers in the '50s, '60s and '70s that pitched monster innings and go look at how short so many of their careers were. For every Nolan Ryan, who had injury problems of his own, and Tom Seaver and others who had long careers, plenty flamed out by the time they were 30 after a few years.

There's a reason why teams started going to five-man rotations and look at pitch counts -- because so many pitchers were throwing their arms out after a few season. Not everyone could be a Luis Tiant who could re-invent himself after a serious injury.

There is one thing to consider in general about injuries. Better medical technology. A guy might play through an nagging injury in the past, maybe even shortening a career, where today they'll go have an MRI.

I won't say there are fewer injures today, but I really don't think there are more. But I'm just guessing. Without real data, we're all just guessing on whether or not there are more injuries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

If you consider an  injury serious enough to go on the DL there is no question the players of today are more fragile, back when I was growing up teams put out the same line-up day after day the only change would be if they had a strict platoon at a certain position

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Sports PhD Thesis Question:
        If you consider an  injury serious enough to go on the DL there is no question the players of today are more fragile, back when I was growing up teams put out the same line-up day after day the only change would be if they had a strict platoon at a certain position
    Posted by attic-dan

Again -- I go back to medical advances in diagnosing injuries, plus the ability to do something about it. Also, with the salaries of the players today, teams probably are more cautious about playing injured players. That's different than saying they're getting hurt more.

As for "teams put the same lineup day after day ..." I'm not sure how it's different today. Like I posted above, w/o hard data, we're just guessing on whether or not injuries affect lineups more now than 30 years ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Pitcher-Preventing-Injuries-Baseball/dp/1566635780

This piece is about nine years old:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=3480.0;wap2

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I've talked about his theories before. If someone really wants to get into discussion about pitching injuries, they should check out what Mike Marshall (former Dodgers' reliever) has to say.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just remember TJ surgery is relatively new and when players went down in the past they were done.
    IMHO players also played with injuries then that todays players don't.It is a combination of the team's investment and the players not screwing up their livelyhood. Today it is a business years ago it was a business but not like it is now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Sports PhD Thesis Question : I've talked about his theories before. If someone really wants to get into discussion about pitching injuries, they should check out what Mike Marshall (former Dodgers' reliever) has to say. http://www.drmikemarshall.com/
    Posted by royf19

Speaking of Mike Marshall and PhD dissertations, check this out:

Marshall received his Ph.D. from Michigan State University while still an active player in 1978, authoring a dissertation titled "A Comparison of an Estimate of Skeletal Age With Chronological Age When Classifying Adolescent Males for Motor Proficiency Norms."

http://www.baseballsavvy.com/archive/w_marshall.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Memories change things. Some years are better than others. Teams weren't as focused on getting a guy a day off to keep him fresh as they are now but injuries still happened and they did give guys a rest.

Your 1976 Red Sox...

Fisk - 134 G
    Yaz - 155 G
    Doyle - 117 G
    Burelson - 152 G
    Hobson - 76 G
    Rice - 153 G
    Lynn - 132 G
    Evans - 146 G
    Cooper -123 G
    Miller 105 G
    Petrocelli - 85 G

The RS used 7 starters for 14 or more games in a 4 man rotation and had an 8th start 4.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Sports PhD Thesis Question : Speaking of Mike Marshall and PhD dissertations, check this out:   Marshall received his Ph.D. from Michigan State University while still an active player in 1978, authoring a dissertation titled "A Comparison of an Estimate of Skeletal Age With Chronological Age When Classifying Adolescent Males for Motor Proficiency Norms."   http://www.baseballsavvy.com/archive/w_marshall.html
    Posted by hill55

He's very proud of that. I've talked with him about this a few years ago and he was very adament about his views and how he scientifically studied the pitching motion, putting his studies up against pitching coaches who have no scientific background.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Gentlemen,

Outstanindg responses.  I thank you.

And no, I'm not writing a thesis on this, I just wanted a deeper look at injuries as an issue than we often give it.

I doubt I would have ever made a dent, but my shoulder was damaged too badly too consider playing anything more than just a pick up game here and there.  Even my throws from the OF were rainbows ... and you could see the storm settle before the ball settled into the catcher's mitt.

Still love tghe game ... and feel still feel strongly we ought to give players time to get qet through their injuries before  we start calling thm bums.

From a bum who knows...sorta

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The pitchinginjuries for the RedSox this year is alarming.
    As is the lost velocity from Lester/Buch.
    Lester has become a 2-pitch pitcher with limited margin for error at 93 MPH.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

There are more injuries, today, because they don't take enough MRI angles.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh yes, I'm sure that's it - the MRI angles. It has nothing to do with training, coaching and on-field activities...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

It has nothing to do with HGH and PED usage, which MLBPA members are forced to take.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

It has nothing to do with HGH and PED usage, which MLBPA members are forced to take.
    Posted by betterredthandead

Was your mother FORCED to take psychotropic drugs while she was pregnant with you??????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

My mother didn't take drugs. Was your mother Grace Slick?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

S.Y. - she must have been psychic!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

S.Y. - she must have been psychic!
    Posted by harness

:o)

Harness,

I was desparately trying to give the dude a way out ... 

Oh well ... I guess he wants to own up to being ....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yes, but he should realize that there are better ways to punish himself.
    If he must bait, I suggest he might consider inducing more wiggle to his worm.
    Creativity is the mother of perspective.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

My mother didn't take drugs. Was your mother Grace Slick?
    Posted by betterredthandead

Counselor:

1) I submit your claim is hearsay.  Unless your celebrated skills include being aware of the world outside the uterus, you have no real proof concerning this statement.

2)  However since we are using American jurisprudence, she stands innocent.  Fortunately we are not in France.  She would stand charged and guilty.   The burden of proof would then be on you or her to prove her innocence.

On the second statement of inquiry, my mother was both graceful and slick.  She spoke the language of Bengalis, English, and those of Brookrlyn and the Bronx.  She was a lady of letters, educated in some of the finest centers of matriculation in the Midwest, Northeast...

She bore that grace and wisdom to the countries of Canada, India, Pakistan, Tibet, and Bangladesh, as well as countless states in the Americas.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yes, but he should realize that there are better ways to punish himself. If he must bait , I suggest he might consider inducing more wiggle to his worm . Creativity is the mother of perspective.
    Posted by harness

;oP   NOT a picture I want to see in my mind .....

LOL

Sections
Shortcuts