spring training closing in

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: spring training closing in

In Response to spring training closing in:
    [QUOTE]One nice thing about the Pats going to the super bowl is:  when the footbal hype dies down, the sox talk heats right up. I thought the sox would do more during the off season.   Anyone else feel the sox sort of sat on their hands this off season? I am not suprised to see Carl Crawford gettting surgery so close to spring training.  I predict another sub 20 million dollar performance again, by the left fielder. So who is taking his place in left field. Maybe we can put Ortiz out there.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Sox spent over $200M for this off season, where have you been?

$154M for AGon
    $30.5M for Buchholz
    $12.65M or $16.5M for Ortiz
    Other misc signings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

um, nope.  even if they were done now, far from sitting on their hands, for better or for worse.  But, I suspect there is more to come.  Why shed Scutaro's contract without using that amount up?  There is a pitcher still coming.

So, that leaves an off-season that goes something like:

Sign Scutaro, then ship him out
    Trade for melancon
    Trade for Bailey/Sweeney
    Get Bobby valentine
    Offer arb for papi
    Get Danks/Jackson/Oswalt?
    Sign Cody Ross
    Sign Punto
    Corner the market on minor league contract reclamation projects

Am I leaving anyone out?

hardly sitting on their hands, IMO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: spring training closing in:
    [QUOTE]um, nope.  even if they were done now, far from sitting on their hands, for better or for worse.  But, I suspect there is more to come.  Why shed Scutaro's contract without using that amount up?  There is a pitcher still coming. So, that leaves an off-season that goes something like: Sign Scutaro, then ship him out Trade for melancon Trade for Bailey/Sweeney Get Bobby valentine Offer arb for papi Get Danks/Jackson/Oswalt? Sign Cody Ross Sign Punto Corner the market on minor league contract reclamation projects Am I leaving anyone out? hardly sitting on their hands, IMO
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can leave out the AGon and Buch signings, since that's where the bulk of our freed up payroll went.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: spring training closing in : I don't think you can leave out the AGon and Buch signings, since that's where the bulk of our freed up payroll went.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

good point

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I liked the Bobby V deal but they needed a coach. I still think they need another arm and I don't see much difference in this team and the one which collapsed last september. ortiz did nothing in spetember Alex did nothing in september Clay most likely will once again get hurt now Carl is out until at least May. o and carl did nothing last september or last season
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

*Ortiz doing nothing in September means ... well, nothing really, just a bad month in an otherwise excellent season

* Who is Alex?  Adrian?  Ditto on the September.  

* Why will Clay get hurt most likely?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: spring training closing in : *Ortiz doing nothing in September means ... well, nothing really, just a bad month in an otherwise excellent season * Who is Alex?  Adrian?  Ditto on the September.   * Why will Clay get hurt most likely?

Because!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: spring training closing in : Because!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I hadn't considered that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

iM READY for spring training....i dont care who is on the team - they could be the indians from major league for all i care...i want baseball asap

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: spring training closing in : I hadn't considered that.

See, there is more to it than meets the eye.

I am also looking forward to Spring Training and the reason for that is because of the word Spring. With Spring, you have no more Winter and that is something to cheer about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]um, nope.  even if they were done now, far from sitting on their hands, for better or for worse.  But, I suspect there is more to come.  Why shed Scutaro's contract without using that amount up?  There is a pitcher still coming. So, that leaves an off-season that goes something like: Sign Scutaro, then ship him out Trade for melancon Trade for Bailey/Sweeney Get Bobby valentine Offer arb for papi Get Danks/Jackson/Oswalt? Sign Cody Ross Sign Punto Corner the market on minor league contract reclamation projects Am I leaving anyone out? hardly sitting on their hands, IMO

Sign Kelly Shoppach
    Avoid Arb w/ Ellsbury

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: spring training closing in : See, there is more to it than meets the eye. I am also looking forward to Spring Training and the reaso for that is because of the word Spring. With Spring, you have no more Winter and that is something to cheer about.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I am also looking forward to spring training:  a. for the reason you cite here.  B. for the first time in my life, i will be heading to Florida with my dad to take in some Sox grapefruit essence.  Hitting the Marlins homestadium, the Jays in Dunendin, and then Jet blue the next day.  Proper junket. Pretty excited.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]iM READY for spring training....i dont care who is on the team - they could be the indians from major league for all i care...i want baseball asap
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

You said it!   Baseball cannot get here soon enough!

I'm not much of a football fan (Go Pats!), or basketball fan, or hockey fan.  So these offseasons are really long for me....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to spring training closing in:
    [QUOTE] Anyone else feel the sox sort of sat on their hands this off season? Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

I am liking what the Sox have done so far.  Some think that the offense is not as good as last year's, but I'm buying that.

I still would like to see a #4 starting pitcher added.  I think the Sox have enough pieces to contend with what they have, but with very little room for adversity in the starting rotation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Kelly Shoppach and Brad Emaus...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

They made several modest acquisitions. Hopefully , at least a couple of them work out for the best. Losing Papelbon is the big negative of the off season.