Spring Training Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Spring Training Discussion Thread

Road To 2014 Red Sox World Championship

Red Sox truck day'Truck Day' will take place outside Fenway Park on Saturday, Feb. 8.

Pete Abraham       

Good morning from Ft. Myers. Here's Andrew Miller throwing in the bullpen and looking healthy
    Embedded image permalink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Spring Training Discussion Thread

Pete Abraham       

Miller has been here since Monday. No physical restrictions. His arbitration hearing is 2-18 but he's optimistic about settling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Not to get too ahead of things on Feb. 6, but Miller was throwing the snot out of it. Popping the glove. His return big for the Red Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham        

Red Sox spotted in camp: Lester, Bogaerts, Bradley, Middlebrooks, Nava, Hassan, Butler, Swiharr, Britton, De La Rosa, Wilson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Here is Middlebrooks  taking some swings

Embedded image permalink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Here is Jackie Bradley Jr in the cage

Embedded image permalink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham        

A touch overcast but 80 degrees in the Fort. Red Sox just finished their workout.

Embedded image permalink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If Miller can come back strong, I smell playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So who will be the ST gem this year that everyone wants to rush to the majors???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

So who will be the ST gem this year that everyone wants to rush to the majors???

... Jackie Bradley ... lol ... jk ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

B I N G O  DAT  !!!!!!     DAD & Bill-806 will be heading down with Ben & the baseball OPPS dept !!!!   Maybe we will see some of you down there !!!!     I will be the one with 806 on my cap, Dads cap will say  D A D   !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

But he was already rushed to the majors.  Has to be someone new....like Garrin Cecchini

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

But he was already rushed to the majors.  Has to be someone new....like Garrin Cecchini

I know Hugh.  My little quip was based on the notion that JBJ, in my outlook, could probably still do for some seasoning in Rhode Island.  But, we actually need him to be a bona fide major league CF when April rolls around.  So, he could take the 'St Gem Who Everyone Wants to be Rushed to the Majors' hardware 2 years in a row.

But, I get it, you are a stickler for award parameters.  My money would be on Cecchini, if he blows up in ST, due to positional opportunity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

To be fair, the major reason there was clamor for Bradley was because there was a roster spot available because of Ortiz starting the season on the DL.

If  Middlebrooks and Bogaerts both have strong springs -- assuming Drew isn't re-signed -- I don't think the clamor will be the same if Cecchini has a good spring. There will be some because there are some who already have given up on Middlebrooks so it won't matter what he does, but it won't be the same as it was for Bradley.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If Miller can come back strong, I smell playoffs.

I agree Miller returning to last years form should mean a great deal to the team.  Breslow did a solid job in his absence but Miller gives us that lefty depth.  I think there will be a lot of factors that will dictate whether we make the playoffs. 

The players I will be watching most next season besides Sizemore will be Middy, JBJ, Hassan and Checchini.  I think Bogy will be fine and gradually get better sooner than later.  I think Hassan could have more value than Brentz as a stop gap if needed.  I also like Garin a lot but not necessarily at 3B.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

To be fair, the major reason there was clamor for Bradley was because there was a roster spot available because of Ortiz starting the season on the DL.

If  Middlebrooks and Bogaerts both have strong springs -- assuming Drew isn't re-signed -- I don't think the clamor will be the same if Cecchini has a good spring. There will be some because there are some who already have given up on Middlebrooks so it won't matter what he does, but it won't be the same as it was for Bradley.

Did Swihart get a ST invite, because he might be a good candidate as well. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Did Swihart get a ST invite, because he might be a good candidate as well. 

Yeah, according to Alex Speir of WEEI, these prospects received invites:

Matt Barnes

Dalier Hinojosa

Deven Marrero

Henry Owens

Noe Ramirez

Travis Shaw

Blake Swihart

Heiker Meneses

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No it wouldn't be the same, but there would be similarities.  Both finished the prior season starting in single A and finishing with less than 250 at bats at double A.

A Pawtucket assignment would be considered aggressive for both, and an MLB jump would be (and was for JBJ) way too aggressive.

Now if Cecchini puts up the same stats in triple A that JBJ did last year I would be willing to bet (of course I can always win a hypothetical bet that can never be proven ) that some of those who turned sour on JBJ would still be high on Cecchini. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Good points Roy.  But, while there is no JBJ opening as per Spring 2012 with papi's injury, I think Cecchini is a good possibility because so many have written off Middlebrooks, as you say.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham   

Red Sox RHP Alex Wilson, who had thumb surgery the same day as the third game of the World Series, cleared to throw two weeks ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Man....I love Spring Training......everything is sunny.....the weather....the season outlook and all the players health.....brings back memories of not being able to wait to get outside and play ball again.....and there is nothing like seeing that young phenom for the first time and hoping he makes the team. Now with the internet, we all know so much about the young guys before they even get a ST shot....years ago , if you werent local to a Minor League affilaite....there was the Sporting News...and that was it..it was like they came out of nowhere.

As a long time Sox fan, I want to say I dont recall anytime the Sox had more depth and exciting young prospects throughout the organization, but when Lynn and Rice came up in the mid 70's, we just werent aware of how many other guys we had with great potential, because until they got their shot, they were invisible to most of use.

To Hughs question, I don't no who it will be but I will be rooting for one of the Unexpected guys to push to go north with the team! I rooted for JBJ last year to do so and even though he ended back down...I think the opportunity is a learning experience and how a guy handles it tells you alot about what type of player he can become and how he will deal with the failure that comes to every player at some time or another.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

RYAN LAVARNWAY ...... "THE NEXT YOU KNOW WHO"  !!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Rich Gedman?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Rich Gedman?  

Cool

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts