Spring Training Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Spring Training Discussion Thread

Guys I am most interested in seeing and hearing about from lower levels to the bigs....

Daniel Gonzalez---What kind of stuff does this guy have. His stats and size potential are off the charts.

Rafael Devers---Will the drool continue?

Jon Denney---What was wrong with him? Would love somebody to ask him.

Trey Ball---Didn't like the pick and he didn't improve his stock last year. If he gets off to a slow start.....Want to see a fast start.

Teddy Stankiewicz---He has the qualities that could move through the system really fast. I like him.

Deven Marrero---Will he start driving the ball this year?

Travis Shaw---Was Shaw's winter ball for real? He could be very under rated if 2013 was do to injuries or something.

Ryan Lavarnway---Where will Lavarnway play? 1B? CF? Miami?

Brandon Workman-Drake Britton-Rubby De La Rosa-Dalier Hinojosa---Start or relieve??? And what will Dalier Hinojosa throw?

And three others to watch as possible big league contributors with interesting potential.....Alex Hassan, Steven Wright and John Ely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham       

Here is Jackie Bradley Jr in the cage

Embedded image permalink

[/QUOTE]

It is tough to tell but he looks like he put on some much needed muscle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys I am most interested in seeing and hearing about from lower levels to the bigs....

Daniel Gonzalez---What kind of stuff does this guy have. His stats and size potential are off the charts.

Trey Ball---Didn't like the pick and he didn't improve his stock last year. If he gets off to a slow start.....Want to see a fast start.

Teddy Stankiewicz---He has the qualities that could move through the system really fast. I like him.

Travis Shaw---Was Shaw's winter ball for real? He could be very under rated if 2013 was do to injuries or something.

Brandon Workman-Drake Britton-Rubby De La Rosa-Dalier Hinojosa---Start or relieve??? And what will Dalier Hinojosa throw?

And three others to watch as possible big league contributors with interesting potential.....Alex Hassan, Steven Wright and John Ely.

[/QUOTE]Nice post.....  Sox are deep !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Daniel Gonzalez has stats off the charts, it was in the DSL however but I'm curious to see what he does in a stateside assignment.  I'm curious as to why the Soxprospects website has him listed in the GCL bullpen as opposed to starting, but they only project and are not the Sox front office.

Rafael Devers - I hope the drool continues.  I think it was Jason Parks of baseball prospectus who said he has a swing that mirrors Robinson Cano.  I would love to have that kind of bat to compliment Bogaerts on the left side in a few years.

I really like the Ball and Stankiewicz picks.  I know Ball can kind of be a polarizing figure, but we didn't really get to see him last year so I'm hoping he shows everyone why the Sox took him.  I've heard people say he is Henry Owens with much better velocity.  But I really like Stankiewicz, I think he took a back burner to Ball but I think he has the same ceiling as guys like Barnes and Ranaudo in our system and could be in the top ten by this time next year.

I saw Marrero play last year, and I don't think he will ever have much power.  I actually think part of his problem was he was trying to pull the ball too much and seemed to swing hard as if he was a power hitter.  But he has tremendous bat speed, and that is something you can't teach and the defense is only a small hair below Iglesias.

I'm not to optimistic on Travis Shaw. I haven't heard anything on injuries and I've heard he doesn't have great bat speed.  He very well could just be having a hard time keeping up with pitchers who have better stuff at higher levels.  If this is true, I seriously doubt he will do anything at the MLB level if he is being challenged in double A.  As a first baseman his offense will have to be the carrying tool.

I'm also curious to see what Workman's role will be with the Sox this year.  He's been pegged as a back of the rotation starter, or a bullpen guy.  He looked good in both roles, and supposedly he cleaned up his delivery last year (it did look much better in Boston than it did in spring training) I almost feel like he has earned a spot in Boston, but if they want to allow him the chance to start they might not have the room.  Hinijosa is another arm I'm also very intrigued with.

When I see Hassan, I think Nava...completely under rated coming up through the Sox system and hasn't really slowed down at any level.  I hope he gets a chance this year.

A few guys I really want to see this year is Blake Swihart, Manuel Margot, Wendell Rijo, Myles Smith, Corey Littrell and Cody Kukuk.

It will be a very interesting year for sure, with no lack of excitement or prospects to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RYAN LAVARNWAY ...... "THE NEXT YOU KNOW WHO"  !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Rich Gedman?  

[/QUOTE]

At least Gedman had two good years with the Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The next guy to possibly be an ex Red Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Adam Rubin| ESPNNewYork.com

Scott Boras wants an opt-out clause for Stephen Drew after Year 1 of a multiyear deal, a source told ESPNNewYork.com.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

Scott Boras wants an opt-out clause for Stephen Drew after Year 1 of a multiyear deal, a source told ESPNNewYork.com.

[/QUOTE]BEN,   tell Borra$$ & Stevie to take a HIKE !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bora$$' mistake was not accepting the 1/14 mil offer.  Drews mistake was listening to Bora$$ 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bora$$' mistake was not accepting the 1/14 mil offer.  Drews mistake was listening to Bora$$ 

[/QUOTE]

possibly, but Boras also has a reputation of finding his clients decent deals when it appears nothing is out there for them.  Of course this is not always the case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Daniel Gonzalezhas stats off the charts, it was in the DSL however but I'm curious to see what he does in a stateside assignment.  I'm curious as to why the Soxprospects website has him listed in the GCL bullpen as opposed to starting, but they only project and are not the Sox front office.

Rafael Devers - I hope the drool continues.  I think it was Jason Parks of baseball prospectus who said he has a swing that mirrors Robinson Cano.  I would love to have that kind of bat to compliment Bogaerts on the left side in a few years.

I really like the Ball and Stankiewicz picks.  I know Ball can kind of be a polarizing figure, but we didn't really get to see him last year so I'm hoping he shows everyone why the Sox took him.  I've heard people say he is Henry Owens with much better velocity.  But I really like Stankiewicz, I think he took a back burner to Ball but I think he has the same ceiling as guys like Barnes and Ranaudo in our system and could be in the top ten by this time next year.

I saw Marrero play last year, and I don't think he will ever have much power.  I actually think part of his problem was he was trying to pull the ball too much and seemed to swing hard as if he was a power hitter.  But he has tremendous bat speed, and that is something you can't teach and the defense is only a small hair below Iglesias.

I'm not to optimistic on Travis Shaw. I haven't heard anything on injuries and I've heard he doesn't have great bat speed.  He very well could just be having a hard time keeping up with pitchers who have better stuff at higher levels.  If this is true, I seriously doubt he will do anything at the MLB level if he is being challenged in double A.  As a first baseman his offense will have to be the carrying tool.

I'm also curious to see what Workman's role will be with the Sox this year.  He's been pegged as a back of the rotation starter, or a bullpen guy.  He looked good in both roles, and supposedly he cleaned up his delivery last year (it did look much better in Boston than it did in spring training) I almost feel like he has earned a spot in Boston, but if they want to allow him the chance to start they might not have the room.  Hinijosa is another arm I'm also very intrigued with.

When I see Hassan, I think Nava...completely under rated coming up through the Sox system and hasn't really slowed down at any level.  I hope he gets a chance this year.

A few guys I really want to see this year is Blake Swihart, Manuel Margot, Wendell Rijo, Myles Smith, Corey Littrell and Cody Kukuk.

It will be a very interesting year for sure, with no lack of excitement or prospects to watch.

[/QUOTE]

Have to say guy I really want to see this ST is Henry Owens. If this guy can make the same kind of jump this year as he did last yr, we're definately looking at a # 1-2 starter.

I agree w/ Workman does he force his way on? Could see a scenario w/ depth RS have in pen that Workman starts yr in AAA as a starter and 1st guy back when someone goes down. Funny how a yr ago no one was talking about this guy.

With guys like Gonzalez, Devers, Ball, Marnot, Denney and Stankiewicz. Its all about taking that next steps and avoiding that one step forward one step back syndrome. If they do that then they're on the fast track otherwise its like Raunado where everyone is high on the guy one yr then nothing mentioned the next.

Then you have others like Marrero where everyone kind of knows what he is but hope a certain part of his game improves. Marrero its just a matter can he develope enough offense to justify his place in a mlb lineup. Similar to what we went thru w/ Iggy. Or Cecchini where the bat is there can he develope a little more power and does his defense improve [working w/ Butterfield can only help] but don't doubt that he will be in mlb very soon, just a matter of how good can he be?

Guys like De La Rossa are they finally healthy and live up to that big word POTENTIAL?

Another guy I want to see this ST is Matt Barnes the former #1 pick who did move up 2 spots last yr despite struggling w/ control of breaking ball, but came on strong late last yr. Could he be this yr's Workman, IMO has a good shot of it his fastball is good enough already. Lots of swing and miss there, just need more consistency w/ breaking ball. Almost forgot Swihart, no doubt will be a future RS backstop. Just stay healthy can keep the process moving forward.

Agree with what someone else said need to see Ball make a nice step forward this yr. Where many who thought RS stretched w/ this pick. He needs to shut up the doubters or the pressure will really be on him.

This ST shapes up to be one of the most fun for the fans as many of these top prospects we've been hearing about are really getting close, and will get to see them play in ST games. 80 degrees doesn't sound so bad either!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]B I N G O DAT !!!!!   OPT out after one year ????  Heck, tell him to join the FRENCH Foreign Legion !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham      

Some brief video of Xander Bogaerts swinging.   http://youtu.be/gs7geo2IECw

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If Miller can come back strong, I smell playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Miller returning to last years form should mean a great deal to the team.  Breslow did a solid job in his absence but Miller gives us that lefty depth.  I think there will be a lot of factors that will dictate whether we make the playoffs. 

The players I will be watching most next season besides Sizemore will be Middy, JBJ, Hassan and Checchini.  I think Bogy will be fine and gradually get better sooner than later.  I think Hassan could have more value than Brentz as a stop gap if needed.  I also like Garin a lot but not necessarily at 3B.

[/QUOTE]

Hassan and Brentz have different skill sets so they will be more valuable in different ways. Want a HR, Brentz. Want a guy with little power to work a count, Hassan. Both can play the corner spots and I think I heard Hassan was going to take reps at 1b to increase his value.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

George Scott?
    Better change that Fisk thing since he has already ordered his 1b mitt like Ive been saying he should the last 2 years...Mark anotherone in the wrong column for ya Billy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Middlebrooks, Bogaerts and Bradley waiting to hit

Embedded image permalink     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber/Boston Herald      

How many baseball will be on truck that leaves Fenway Park tomorrow en route to Fort Myers? Try 20,400

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

More Red Sox truck inventory: 1,100 bats, 200 batting gloves, 200 helmets, 160 white jerseys, 300 pants, 400 t-shirts, 20 cases bubble gum

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Red Sox players already in camp will have the weekend off. Last weekend off for a long time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

How many baseball will be on truck that leaves Fenway Park tomorrow en route to Fort Myers? Try 20,400

[/QUOTE]   ONE  ( BASEBALL)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rich Gedman?  

[/QUOTE]

At least Gedman had two good years with the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

Good point Roy.  And, Gedman was actually a catcher too  Wink.  In Bill's spirit of overstatement (Fisk), I was just spitballing on Lavarnway's actual highest upside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Already here.

Can't wait to see the boys play!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham  

Clay Buchholz checked into Red Sox camp today, will throw tomorrow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Pete Abraham  

[/QUOTE]

Cue the slanders and smug predictions ... in 3, 2, 1 ....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pete Abraham  

[/QUOTE]

Cue the slanders and smug predictions ... in 3, 2, 1 ....

[/QUOTE]  Is that the guy that is known as "DAY TO DAY CLAY"  ??????

Sections
Shortcuts