[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i wish trey ball was invited.....

anyone headed down for some games?  i used to love going when i was a yute....

[/QUOTE]

I'll be there all month.  It's one of my extravagances in life. I've been looking forward to it ever since April 1, 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Have a great time down there S5! Sounds like a lot of fun.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Save a spot for me in the Chat, ok?  Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should have our own practice chats, to get back to mid season formTongue Out

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to need some help when we get rolling again.  I had a couple of crashes over the winter and lost both links.  

[/QUOTE]

Southpaw has the links. I posted the video of the trophies in Maine, in the premium room. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Spring Training Discussion Thread

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not particularly.  North Naples /Bonita area.  Do you go to games?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I try to get to one or two a year. I like practice better honestly. Way better chance to get top-end autographs and also see the good players work some.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The novelty of ST has worn off as I live here in Florida. However I'll probably catch a game or two. My guess as to whom will impress the Sox staff is Owens! Whether they bring him north or not, he will shine so he has a chance of making the Pawsox out of ST instead of starting at Portland. I'm also hoping Lavarnway makes a successful transition to first base as he is really behind the stack of catchers they are building.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i wish trey ball was invited.....

anyone headed down for some games?  i used to love going when i was a yute....

[/QUOTE]

I'll be there all month.  It's one of my extravagances in life. I've been looking forward to it ever since April 1, 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Good for you!  If you can, try to fin 'jid' who's a poster on the Realistic thread.  He's a great guy and is there for the duration also.  If you don't know, he's the caretaker of his father-in-law who's wheelchair bound.  This could significantly narrow the search.  If you do find him, please say that 'Amp' said hello.

The wife and I have gone in the past, but it's pretty far from Oregon and we worry about our cats if we stayed long..LOL.  Instead, we plan on going to Fenway multiple, short trips...besides other parks.

[/QUOTE]

Will do.  And when I find him I'll remember you to him.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Pete Abraham       

Here is Jackie Bradley Jr in the cage

Embedded image permalink

This is the guy I am excited to watch this spring - really hoping that he becomes the player what we all want him to become.

He is already a high-character guy - with a good work ethic. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo    

Quiet day in Red Sox camp but Grady Sizemore is here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

MLB Network Radio       

Cherington on Stephen Drew: "We’ve kept the dialogue going, but at this point we’re focused on the players we have on the roster."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

MLB Network Radio         

More Cherington on S. Drew: "I wouldn't expect anything major to happen between now and when we report at this point."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The novelty of ST has worn off as I live here in Florida. However I'll probably catch a game or two. My guess as to whom will impress the Sox staff is Owens! Whether they bring him north or not, he will shine so he has a chance of making the Pawsox out of ST instead of starting at Portland. I'm also hoping Lavarnway makes a successful transition to first base as he is really behind the stack of catchers they are building.

[/QUOTE]B I N G O DAT ........    on both counts !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

MLB Network Radio       

Cherington on bullpen: "We're still interested in adding a pitcher to camp. We've got on going conversations with a number of them."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham

Red Sox officially announced minor league signings of Mijares, Hill, Cousins, Resop and Valdez. Mijares and Hill invited to sp. training.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe   3m

#RedSox officially announced minor league signings of Mijares, Hill, Cousins, Resop and Valdez. Mijares and Hill invited to sp. training.

Expand

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Red Sox haven’t directly said it, but you get a sense they’re moving on from Stephen Drew. Maybe only ultra team friendly deal changes that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

staying close to the stadium?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm staying in North Naples right now. Hope to get to a game or two if schedule allows. Do you go to Lansdowne St (if it's still there)? I haven't been in a while.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

staying close to the stadium?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm staying in North Naples right now. Hope to get to a game or two if schedule allows. Do you go to Lansdowne St (if it's still there)? I haven't been in a while.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with Lansdowne St.  Sorry.  I stay with a friend off Immokkallee.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with Lansdowne St.  Sorry.  I stay with a friend off Immokkallee.

[/QUOTE]

its a pretty good boston bar off of 41 in NNaples/Bonetia area.. it was good, havent been in forever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RYAN LAVARNWAY ...... "THE NEXT YOU KNOW WHO"  !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Rich Gedman?  

[/QUOTE]

I will be surprised if Lavarnway ever becomes a full time major league catcher, astonished if he ever reaches Gedman's decent level of performance.  As for Bill-666's claim about Lavarnway being the "next Carlton Fisk"....the less said the better other than consider the source.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

its a pretty good boston bar off of 41 in NNaples/Bonetia area.. it was good, havent been in forever.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh..ok, I know of the neighborhood.  I'll look for it.  It sounds like a good place to meet like-thinking Boston fans.    Thanks!!!  Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Shunsuke Watanabe with a cherry, "See you tomorrow" to the media on his way out. Sidearmer is in Red Sox minor league camp.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham   

Here's Clay Buchholz talking to the media

View image on Twitter

Pete Abraham

Another shot of Buchholz. Says his shoulder has fully healed

View image on Twitter

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Smart teams will use spring to mine for hidden gems Plenty of possibilities open to those willing to look to fortify clubs for 2014 and beyond

When Stephen Vogt singled with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Oakland A's a 1-0 victory over the Detroit Tigers and even the 2013 American League Division Series at 1-1, it's unlikely that he was thinking of the blip on the transaction wire six months earlier that signaled his move to a new team.

He was dealing with a mob of teammates on the basepaths, the looming specter of a shaving-cream pie to the face, and the knowledge that he had orchestrated at least one signature Major League highlight to savor for a lifetime.

"It's the moment that every kid dreams of," Vogt said. "I remember playing in my front yard with nobody else, imagining hitting a walk-off hit in a playoff game. It's everything you could dream of and more."

Out of nowhere, or, more accurately, out of the Tampa Bay Rays organization via a non-descript trade on April 5, the A's had unearthed a player who would ultimately help them in a big postseason way. The moral of the story is that it's never too late to sign or acquire players who can alter the course of your season.

In other words, it may be February and Spring Training is getting underway this week, but there are still many deals, big and small, to be had and profited from.

Just look at exactly a year ago today, for example. The Dodgers signed veteran reliever Kevin Gregg to a low-risk Minor League deal on that day, getting a player who had racked up at least 20 saves in each season from 2007-11. Gregg didn't fit into the deep Dodgers' plans and was released, but he was in game shape and signed with the Cubs on April 14. He ended up being Chicago's closer and saving 33 games.

A day later, on Feb. 11, the Indians took advantage of the late availability of Michael Bourn, one of the better outfielders on the free-agent market, signing him to a four-year, $48 million deal. Bourn had a down year on both sides of the ball by Michael Bourn standards, but still stole 23 bases and manned center field in 128 games for a playoff team. He has plenty of room to rebound to his previous stellar levels at the age of 31.

A year later, it's late in the Hot Stove game, but the free-agent board is still very much in play. Starting pitchers Ubaldo Jimenez and Ervin Santana are looking for deals, while outfielder Nelson Cruz, shortstop Stephen Drew and designated hitter Kendrys Morales also remain unsigned. A host of role-player types are there for the taking, too.

Who knows which future impact players might get snapped up?

Who could have figured that the Mariners' quiet move in designating outfielder/first baseman Mike Carp for assignment last Feb. 12 would lead to a Feb. 20 trade to the Red Sox that would help fortify Boston's bench? It was a huge reason why they won the World Series eight months later.

Carp hit .296/.362/.523 with nine homers and 43 RBIs in 216 at-bats with Boston, and hit the team's first pinch-hit grand slam in 10 years in a win during the pennant race in September. The Mariners had designated Carp to clear roster space for starter Joe Saunders, who went 11-16 with a 5.26 ERA for Seattle, and now the Red Sox have a 27-year-old player who appears to have upside and value.

"That guy is a good hitter," teammate David Ortiz said. "One day he's going to get plenty of at-bats. He reminds me of myself when I first started. He doesn't get to play too much, but he has a good swing. He works hard to stay compact."

Meanwhile, a day after the Red Sox scored with Carp, the Mariners made another deal that might pay dividends in Seattle in years to come.

After clearing roster space for incoming catcher Kelly Shoppach by designating reliever Shawn Kelley, the Mariners traded Kelley to the Yankees for Minor League outfielder Abraham Almonte, a speedy sparkplug type who ended up making the big league club by the end of the year. Almonte showed promise that he might contend for a permanent role there.

"He can do it all," said Seattle shortstop Brad Miller, who was with Almonte at Triple-A Tacoma for a good portion of the 2013 season. "He plays hard, he runs -- I mean, he's pretty electric with his running. But I've seen him hit for the cycle this year, I've seen him hit bombs, I've seen him bunt and do a little bit of everything. He really has it all."

It remains to be seen if Almonte or any of last year's late deals and late steals will pan out in 2014. But with a lot of options still within the reach of eager and astute front offices, it wouldn't be surprising to read similar tales a year from now

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Will Middlebrooks reportedly comes into camp with some extra muslce. 

Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo   1h

Early leader for 'John Lackey Bodyshaping Award' Is Middlebrooks, who has put on 12 pounds of muscle. Noticeably bigger

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh..ok, I know of the neighborhood.  I'll look for it.  It sounds like a good place to meet like-thinking Boston fans.    Thanks!!!  Cool

[/QUOTE]

It's in the little industrial park at the north end of Old 41 in Bonita, where it intersects with Tamiami Trail. You can enter from either road. Gives you the feeling that you're sitting under the stands at Fenway. Very cool indeed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Will Middlebrooks reportedly comes into camp with some extra muslce. 

Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo   1h

Early leader for 'John Lackey Bodyshaping Award' Is Middlebrooks, who has put on 12 pounds of muscle. Noticeably bigger

[/QUOTE] The difference is he didn't go to a gym to gain it, he spent the winter trying too catch Jenny Dell...Now he's stuck watching the Bruins games...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jackie Bradley Jr.        

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."