Spring Training Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Spring Training Discussion Thread

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ahhh..ok, I know of the neighborhood.  I'll look for it.  It sounds like a good place to meet like-thinking Boston fans.    Thanks!!!  Cool

[/QUOTE]

if you are looking for a place with some legitimate NE seafood, its called the clambake further north on 41 closer to Gladilous in a Publix plaza. people are straight from Rhode Island and have all their stuff shipped fresh.

place is great

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

Approximately 35 players on major league spring training roster in camp already for Red Sox

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Steve Silva       

MikeNapoli is in camp early with full beard

Embedded image permalink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo       

Clay Buchholz said he learned he didn't have to be 100 percent to pitch effectively after his post season experience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo       

It's amazing watching Brian Butterfield's inf instruction. Stressing the position of feet to infielders. Fascinating.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo       

The Red Sox have decided Xander Bogaerts will workout strictly at SS. At least for time being. They don't want to overload working at 3b

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo       

The Red Sox have decided Xander Bogaerts will workout strictly at SS. At least for time being. They don't want to overload working at 3b

[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10428574/10-things-look-forward-boston-red-sox-spring-training

Some people out there believe he should be batting lead off too. \

Regardless all signs point towards the Sox handing over the keys to SS to Bogaerts, they would prefer for Drew to move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ahhh..ok, I know of the neighborhood.  I'll look for it.  It sounds like a good place to meet like-thinking Boston fans.    Thanks!!!  Cool

[/QUOTE]

if you are looking for a place with some legitimate NE seafood, its called the clambake further north on 41 closer to Gladilous in a Publix plaza. people are straight from Rhode Island and have all their stuff shipped fresh.

place is great

[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I'm making a list of places to be sure to go to.  There's nothing like getting information like this from people who live there!  

Smile

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo       

[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10428574/10-things-look-forward-boston-red-sox-spring-training

Regardless all signs point towards the Sox handing over the keys to SS to Bogaerts, they would prefer for Drew to move on.

[/QUOTE]

How do you know the FO wants Drew to 'move on?' Do you have 'inside' info the rest of us are not aware of? 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say "I know" 

I never said that.

I said that all signs point towards that.  As in "I'm speculating" 

The Sox value their youth, the Sox are already right up to the Cap, the Sox have one of thee elite prospects in all the game MLB ready (he won over a starting job in the world series), They have NOT signed Drew to this point, The G.M. Ben Charrington even said "we do not expect anything to happen with him between now and spring training" and that they are talking to his agent out of "respect"

And now they have the kid Bogaerts taking grounders at SS....not third base.

So yes...I would say "all signs" are pointing towards the Sox moving on.

I don't have insider information....but I do pay attention. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo       

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How do you know the FO wants Drew to 'move on?' Do you have 'inside' info the rest of us are not aware of? 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say "I know" 

I never said that.

The Sox value their youth, the Sox are already right up to the Cap, the Sox have one of thee elite prospects in all the game MLB ready (he won over a starting job in the world series), They have NOT signed Drew to this point, The G.M. Ben Charrington even said "we do not expect anything to happen with him between now and spring training" and that they are talking to his agent out of "respect"

[/QUOTE]

Look, you're probably right about Bogey playing SS and Drew not being re-signed. However, even though Bogey will probably do better at the plate than Drew, I won't be surprised that all of us SOX fans are gonna miss Drew's steadiness at SS. With WMB at 3rd and Bogey at SS the SOX's left side of the infield doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. I'm sure Boston's pitching staff will be feeling the same way. Getting rid of Dempster and re-signing Drew make the SOX  a MUCH better team. You don't monkey around at SS.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, well If you like Drew then you like Drew.  I like Drew too, I just like Bogey as well and  I feel that his time has come and the team wants to move on from Drew.

I would also be willing to bet large massive sums of money, that Bogey is going to make everyone forget about Drew....Drew and Iglesias.

The team would be better without Dempster. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo       

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say "I know" 

I never said that.

[/QUOTE]

Look, you're probably right about Bogey playing SS and Drew not being re-signed. However, even though Bogey will probably do better at the plate than Drew, I won't be surprised that all of us SOX fans are gonna miss Drew's steadiness at SS. With WMB at 3rd and Bogey at SS the SOX's left side of the infield doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. I'm sure Boston's pitching staff will be feeling the same way. Getting rid of Dempster and re-signing Drew make the SOX  a MUCH better team. You don't monkey around at SS.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, well If you like Drew then you like Drew.  I like Drew too, I just like Bogey as well and  I feel that his time has come and the team wants to move on from Drew.

I would also be willing to bet large massive sums of money, that Bogey is going to make everyone forget about Drew....Drew and Iglesias.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I've already forgotten about Iglesias. And, yes, any AL team would be better w/o Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

Now that's not true....look at the #5 starting pitcher for most teams out there.  Dempster would actually be an upgrade. 

The average ERA for a #5 starter is greater than 6.00 and the for a #4 starter is above 5.00

Ryan Dempster would actually be a #3 starter on teams out there.

For a first division team like Boston or New York, yes he is not a very good pitcher....but he does not make "any" team out there worse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo       

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say "I know" 

I never said that.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I've already forgotten about Iglesias. And, yes, any AL team would be better w/o Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

Now that's not true....look at the #5 starting pitcher for most teams out there.  Dempster would actually be an upgrade. 

The average ERA for a #5 starter is greater than 6.00 and the for a #4 starter is above 5.00

For a first division team like Boston or New York, yes he is not a very good pitcher....but he does not make "any" team out there worse.

[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that so many are gung ho about crushing Dempster as a #5 starter speaks to the beautiful embarssament of depth riches the Sox have with starting pitching.  Not saying Ryan is anything to write home about, but, most teams (yes even in the A.L.) would be happy to have Ryan Dempster rounding out their rotation ... now, that is purely performance-based.  If you wanna beef about his paycheck, well, that is something else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo       

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say "I know" 

I never said that.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that so many are gung ho about crushing Dempster as a #5 starter speaks to the beautiful embarssament of depth riches the Sox have with starting pitching.  Not saying Ryan is anything to write home about, but, most teams (yes even in the A.L.) would be happy to have Ryan Dempster rounding out their rotation ... now, that is purely performance-based.  If you wanna beef about his paycheck, well, that is something else.

[/QUOTE]

exactly.  I'm not trying to say Dempster is a really good pitcher, and I'd be happy to get salary relief and let the kids take his place with our pitching depth...but that doesn't mean he is garbage.

Is he overpaid? yes in terms of AAV, but not only are pitchers salaries drastically rising in general but also teams are willing to spend a higher AAV for shorter years.

I'm pretty sure that if we ate a million or 2 there would be several teams interested in Dempster for 1/10. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

ESPN doing three Red Sox spring games: 3-17 vs. Cardinals, 3-18 at Yankees, 3-20 vs. Yankees.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham        

Red Sox mgr John Farrell mentioned today the new replay system will be used for televised spring training games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham       

NESN has 12 Red Sox games and ESPN 3. Presumably MLB Network could have a few as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Thanks!  I'm making a list of places to be sure to go to.  There's nothing like getting information like this from people who live there!  

Smile

You're welcome.

The Boston Beer Garden in Greentree Plaza on the SW corner of Airport and Immokalee isn't bad. Also, though it's not necessarily a Boston centric bar, I like the North Naples Country Club on the corner of U.S. 41 and 101st sts. Lots of friendly folk. Best dive in town.

As a matter of fact I'm headed there now. Cheeahs!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smile

You're welcome.

The Boston Beer Garden in Greentree Plaza on the SW corner of Airport and Immokalee isn't bad. Also, though it's not necessarily a Boston centric bar, I like the North Naples Country Club on the corner of U.S. 41 and 101st sts. Lots of friendly folk. Best dive in town.

[/QUOTE]

No Kidding!  Not only have I been to Boston Beer Garden I stay withing walking distance of the place.  Or staggering distance, as the case may be.  :-)

Note to self;  Add North Naples Country Club to the list of places to visit.  Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smile

You're welcome.

[/QUOTE]

No Kidding!  Not only have I been to Boston Beer Garden I stay withing walking distance of the place.  Or staggering distance, as the case may be.  :-)

Note to self;  Add North Naples Country Club to the list of places to visit.  Smile

[/QUOTE]

LOL Same for me with the Country Club.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo       

Mike Napoli wants to reduce his Ks and put the ball in play more. He said it bothers him greatly striking out a team record 187 times

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think the most interesting thing this Spring will be watching the development of the young guys. Especially Bogaerts and Bradley, but also the young pitching prospects.

Sections
Shortcuts