Spring Training Game Thread:Twins @ Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Spring Training Game Thread:Twins @ Sox

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Guess Mortensen will be next to go once Morales is healthy enough to come back. Who then goes when Breslow is ready? The pen is getting tight.

The Red Sox are no strangers to the phantom DL.  Whichever reliever is struggling the most suddenly comes down with an oblique strain.

Its pretty early in the season to get a sense of who is struggling, wouldn't you say?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Morales will throw off a mound on Saturday. Breslow will throw off a mound Monday. Big hurdle to clear for both.

Hopefully it goes well, especially for Morales. I have a feeling we'll need him before all is said and done.

Guess Mortensen will be next to go once Morales is healthy enough to come back. Who then goes when Breslow is ready? The pen is getting tight.

Tazawa still has an option doesn't he? I don't think Mortenson does though.

I don't think you can send Tazawa down unless he somehow fails miserably.

They might have to until Ben can make some kind of trade. Unless they just waive someone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Maybe Bill's blockbuster is in the works. :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Morales will throw off a mound on Saturday. Breslow will throw off a mound Monday. Big hurdle to clear for both.

Hopefully it goes well, especially for Morales. I have a feeling we'll need him before all is said and done.

that's a good problem to have. we have a lot of relievers capable of going 2, 3, 4 innings at a time. i suppose they would look to move one of those more redundant pieces. Ace, Morales, Mortenson... MAYBE Bailey, but i doubt it since Hanrahan could be a potential problem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

For those who don't get NESN , this game will be televised on the MLB channel tonight.

Thanks for the info.  I live in Fairfax County, VA, and for some strange reason get NESN on verizon fios channel 97, but it's a lousy picture.  I have better luck getting the game on a laptop, mlb.com, and connecting that to the TV. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

that's a good problem to have. we have a lot of relievers capable of going 2, 3, 4 innings at a time. i suppose they would look to move one of those more redundant pieces. Ace, Morales, Mortenson... MAYBE Bailey, but i doubt it since Hanrahan could be a potential problem.

Its a good problem to have in one sense, but I really hate to see us have to get rid of a pitcher before we really have a chance to see who we should be waiving. Tazawa probably has the best stuff in the pen; he belongs in Boston. Ace can pitch well to when he is in the right role. Morales showed some real potential last year as a SP. At this stage in the year I don't think we will get much for a RP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

MORTENSON is not going anywhere..... He is a keeper !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Red Sox are no strangers to the phantom DL.  Whichever reliever is struggling the most suddenly comes down with an oblique strain.

Its pretty early in the season to get a sense of who is struggling, wouldn't you say?

So hold back Morales or Breslow long enough to find out who's struggling.  You're not thinking deviously enough here.

I'm half-joking, but stuff like this has been done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

So hold back Morales or Breslow long enough to find out who's struggling.  You're not thinking deviously enough here.

I'm half-joking, but stuff like this has been done.

By us at least a few times. Anyway if they're just starting to throw off a mound I'd have to think they're at least 2 weeks away from being on the active roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Daniel Bard was optioned to Double-A Portland.

Bard won't be thrilled. He said yesterday, "I think I've done what I needed to do."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Stephen Drew has been placed on the seven-day (concussion) disabled list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Clayton Mortensen could have been a DFA candidate to make room for Bradley/Sweeney. Instead, he's on the team. Other candidates still exist.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

It's down to Bradley, Carp and Sweeney for two roster spots, assuming Nava is on the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nieves said a factor in Bard going to Portland rather than Pawtucket was to get him to think about consistency, not getting back to majors.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nieves said a factor in Bard going to Portland rather than Pawtucket was to get him to think about consistency, not getting back to majors.

Nieves: "This is not a (simple) demotion. We want him to understand that this is a process."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Its a good problem to have in one sense, but I really hate to see us have to get rid of a pitcher before we really have a chance to see who we should be waiving. Tazawa probably has the best stuff in the pen; he belongs in Boston. Ace can pitch well to when he is in the right role. Morales showed some real potential last year as a SP. At this stage in the year I don't think we will get much for a RP.

i'd rather see those names i mentioned on the team rather than traded but hey, it's the business.

I think Taz could be one of our Best BP arms this season. but if they sox wanted to send him to AAA and stretch him out and revert him back to the starter role he thrived in i think he could be one of our best SPs. I think he would understand too, i'm sure he is happy to be in the bigs but i doubt he would be angry if they told him he was being reverted back into a starter and would see time in AAA to get it done.

the Market for RPs stays pretty constant. we wouldn't have gotten more for a reliever 2 months ago than we would today. The only thing that would change is if a guy is pitching extremely well then his value obviously goes up. but if that is the case why trade him?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

w/o Bard, Sox pitching set: Lester, Buchholz, Dempster, Doubront, Lackey, Hanrahan, Bailey, Uehara, Tazawa, Miller, Aceves, Mortensen

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Only decisions left for Sox: Jackie Bradley Jr., Ryan Sweeney, Mike Carp vying for two spots. Bradley and Sweeney not on 40-man; Carp is

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

You gotta get rid of two pitchers somehow Bill, once Breslow and Morales come back. Who are they? You cannot have a nine member bullpen. Unless, as some have suggested, we get devious. Still, the object of the deviosity (is that a word) should probably be Mortensen IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

You gotta get rid of two pitchers somehow Bill, once Breslow and Morales come back. Who are they? You cannot have a nine member bullpen. Unless, as some have suggested, we get devious. Still, the object of the deviosity (is that a word) should probably be Mortensen IMO.

If it's not it should be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nieves said he would have liked to have seen Bard pitch in winter ball to get five or six weeks ahead in the process.

(You'll recall Bard talked a lot about the "reset button," getting away from baseball.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's play ball.  Early sub in the 4th inning, moving JBJ to LF  :)

or.....

a change of lineup right before the game, with JBJ in LF  

DH???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

1 UP 1 DOWN     :)

2 UP 2 DOWN     :)  :)

3 UP 3 DOWN     :)  :)  :)

Nasty stuff on that last out   :)  :)  :)  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

3rd up should have been 3rd down

25. This post has been removed.