SS $$

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

SS $$

I find it interesting how little talk there has been about Stephen Drew or the SS position in general. Are we going to go into this season with Iglesias and Ciriaco as our 2 SS options? And isn't Drew an intriguing option?

There are 4 things I am feeling the team is doing this off season. First, they seem focused on trying to win next year. Second, to use free agency to improve the team. Especially offensively. Thirdly, to make sure they have depth. And finally, to add players on short contracts. If the rumors are true, these 4 things all seem true. Wouldn't Stephen Drew fit all four strategies?

Stephen Drew is just 29 years of age. He had put up 4 good seasons in a row until he hurt his foot in the middle of 2011. He was a solid offensive and defensive SS.

This past year, he missed the start of the year because of that foot injury. He started very slowly. But the last two months he put up about a 730 OPS the last two months. Playing mostly in Oakland, a tough place to hit. Was he some huge problem for the A's in their playoff run?

I have more concerns what that foot injury did to his defense. However, I think I would offer him a 7-8 million dollar 1 year make good coontract. And if I was Drew, I would prefer that kind of contract in Fenway, then in Oakland.

We have no safety net if Iglesias fails. We have money to spend in 2013. This seems like an excellent way to spend it. He was a quality SS who is 29 and improved as the season went on. 

Are the Red Sox really going to go into a season trying to win, with their main SS a 22 year old coming off a .391 OPS while we have money to spend? Really? I don't believe it. Unless the Red Sox believe Bogaerts is a SS and will be ready in two months[both possibilities in my mind btw] I expect the Red Sox to sign Stephen Drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: SS $$

It wasnt a problem with his foot, he had broken his ankle. That injurie has deminished his range a bit when he didnt have superb range in the first place( he made plays he just never was a spectacular play maker). Id rather see what we can get out of iglesias than give another shortstop a horrible contract. Plus if Iglasias isnt cuttin it after a few months boegarts will be ready anyways.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

It wasnt a problem with his foot, he had broken his ankle. That injurie has deminished his range a bit when he didnt have superb range in the first place( he made plays he just never was a spectacular play maker). Id rather see what we can get out of iglesias than give another shortstop a horrible contract. Plus if Iglasias isnt cuttin it after a few months boegarts will be ready anyways.

i don't think bogaerts will be ready in a few months.. a few years? thats more like it

if Drew would agree to a 1 year deal i would be OK with that. but if not, its make or break for iggy. lets see how that glove affects the pitching staff and get a decent enough lineup around him to "hide" his poor bat

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Do not forget about Yunel Escobar.  Does anyone really think the Marlins view him as their everyday 3B? 

Alfredo Aceves for Yunel Escobar.  Book it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Do not forget about Yunel Escobar.  Does anyone really think the Marlins view him as their everyday 3B? 

Interesting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

One headcase for another, Like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

We Dont Need That Trouble Maker.....................

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I would do that deal. And I probably would prefer Escobar to Drew. Mainly because Escobars contract is so team friendly. I am concerned about his OB% falling off the map this year though. But I would lean Escobar>Drew.

I do think something at SS needs to be added.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

We Dont Need That Trouble Maker.....................

But we would give up our troublemaker! 

Besides, if he got out of line, Jonny Gomes would hit him harder than a LHP...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would be inclined to look at Elvis Andrus if he's available from Texas or Brian Dozier from the Twins before  Escobar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DREW ???  Where have I heard that name before ????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

DREW ???  Where have I heard that name before ????

+1

By all accounts S Drew is not the answer, not whatsoever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

No to S. Drew.  The Red Sox already gave his older brother a 5-year, $70 million deal. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

No to S. Drew.  The Red Sox already gave his older brother a 5-year, $70 million deal

Ice - isn't that viewpoint similar to the "no more Japanese pitchers" crowds'?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

No to S. Drew.  The Red Sox already gave his older brother a 5-year, $70 million deal

Ice - isn't that viewpoint similar to the "no more Japanese pitchers" crowds'?

Thats the ticket...... Let's roll the dice again with Dice-Man for another 50MIL !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No to S. Drew.  The Red Sox already gave his older brother a 5-year, $70 million deal. 

You do realize they are completley different people, right?

Should the Sox have avoided Pedro Martinez because Ramon never lived up to expectations?

(I know Pedro was there first, but if Ramon, who was always available, signed in 1997, and was not as good as expected, would you have been upset about acquiring Pedro?)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

whether the drews are different people or not, i can see no way that stephan drew would ever play in boston after the way his brother was treated.

i understand that he never hit 3- HRs in a season, never drove in 100 and never hit .300 for the sox and also that he was probably overpaid for his five years, but he was still a very respectable outfielder.

yes, JD got his money, but i would bet that outside of the paycheck and maybe some teammates that he never was happy in boston because the media and the fans just killed him.

the younger drew also seems to have trouble staying on the field so he could only expect the exact same treatment in boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

S. Drew will want much more than hes worth (yeah, I know its FA) Id rather go with Iggy and build some offense around him. At least I know Iggy can probably save over 40 runs a year...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

With Escobar being traded to the Rays, I am back on the Stephen Drew train. Willing to go over 8 million to get it done. There are not many teams that need a SS out there. Still looks like a logical fit.

One thing mentioned about the new additions so far is that the team is getting to righty dominant. Drew hits left handed. He and a platoon at some point in the season with Iglesias might work fairly well.

Drew also took 4.20 pitches an at bat last year. And 4.01 the year before. The more guys you have that are patient the more effective that strategy is. It accumulates not just in the length of a pitching performance, but in the length of innings. It has been the Yankee secret to their success the last 10 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the only way i would want drew is on a 1 year deal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

by all accounts, Drew needs to move over to 3B due to diminshed range at SS. He is fighting the move.

Bogaerdts is on a faster track than Middlebrooks

Marrero was a #1 draft choice

Vinicio may be a better defender than any of them

Aceves can be a very valuable member of the pitching staff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

by all accounts, Drew needs to move over to 3B due to diminshed range at SS. He is fighting the move.

Bogaerdts is on a faster track than Middlebrooks

Marrero was a #1 draft choice

Vinicio may be a better defender than any of them

Aceves can be a very valuable member of the pitching staff.

I agree with most of what you said. Although what does Aceves have to do with anything?:)

If you sign Drew to a 1 year deal, the other Ss's are not affected. Also, I thought Drew looked OK on defense last year and should look even better this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

why no interest in Keppinger at all. He signed today but would have been good for us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Rays have traded for Escobar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegobees. Show thegobees's posts

Give Colorado Salty, Lester, Iglesias for Tulowitski

Add Ellsbury and bard and maybe we can get CarGo as well!!!

Sections
Shortcuts