Stale News

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

Stale News

Like most of us I suppose, I read as much sports news as I can find. Why is it that the Globe, especially the Red Sox Sports link has such stale news? Other sources seem to post new and mostly interesting sports stories even in these somewhat slow Winter months. The Sox' link carries the same old news stories for days.... don't the writers get out enough? Is there a shortage of news items to pursue?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Stale News

In response to TheFredster's comment:

Like most of us I suppose, I read as much sports news as I can find. Why is it that the Globe, especially the Red Sox Sports link has such stale news? Other sources seem to post new and mostly interesting sports stories even in these somewhat slow Winter months. The Sox' link carries the same old news stories for days.... don't the writers get out enough? Is there a shortage of news items to pursue?

I'd say your last question is the reason.

Just not that much going on right now.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

Does anyone here pay $$$ to subscribe to the Globe online edition? Do you get more Red Sox news and columns?

Heck no.

There's enough free articles out there.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

We can no longer read the Shaughnessy columns and I don't miss them but if he ever writes something cheerful, hopeful,  or optimistic, tell me and I will do a Google search for it.

Nope. I don't miss reading Shaugnessy at all.

The last time Shaugnessy wrote something hopeful it was the summer of 2011.

He said the Sox were a lock to win the division.

We all know how that ended.

I'd rather he stick to wtiting his usual crap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I pay for the the other site. It's cheap enough and you do get some stories that aren't on the boston.com site, and not just in sports.

I like reading the Sunday notes columns for all four sports, and while I don't always agree with him, I've always enjoyed Shaughnessy's writing. (He writes more positive stuff than he's given credit for but people just like to remember the negative ones -- and he's often right when on those negative ones). Gasper is not Ryan but we'll see. I wouldn't pay just to read him. I miss Bob Ryan, although he still writes occasionally.

To me, it's worth it, especially since I'll read more than sports. And I like having access to the archives.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

It is geared for your desktop only or is it also readable on a tablet or e-reader?

I read it on the desktop; it does include many things you don't get on bdc and it costs 99 cents per week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

It is a slow time of year for some news, but the "other" Boston paper adds new and often times interesting stories every day, whereas the Globe carries the same lead items for 3-4 days. MLBRumors.com has fresh baseball news, as do many other sites. Of course the paywall has something to to with it, as does NY Times ownership, internet competition, and most newspapers inability to create an updated business model. I guess I am just disappointed and trying to rationalize avoiding the rag altogether

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

We can no longer read the Shaughnessy columns and I don't miss them but if he ever writes something cheerful, hopeful,  or optimistic, tell me and I will do a Google search for it.

Why do you only want to surround yourself with pro-Sox feel good stories? Don't you occasionally want them to be heald accountable or were the the last 3 years good enough?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Shaughnessy is one of the few good beat writers who knows the business. If you aren't reading my comments at no extra cost, I highly recommend Shaughnessy, for a few bucks.

There used to be a poster on here, about five years ago, who kept accusing me of being Shaughnessy. It must have been Pike, though I don't remember Pike being on this Board back then.

First he is a columnist not a beat writer. There is a big difference.

Secondly he has praised the moves the Red Sox made this off season based on the fact they are spending money instead of being cheap.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

It's firstly and secondly. And he is a Red Sox beat writer, even if he no longer does the daily beat.

Provide the details of this "praising spending money". It's not about spending money, it's about how it's spent. And praise isn't a word that should be used for Dumpster, Shane, Napoli and Drew. If it were about spending money, the Red Sox would have more than zero playoff wins despite nearly a billion in labor costs.

1. The only beat he worked was the Celtics in the mid-80's.

2. http://bcove.me/saidk7jh

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Why do you only want to surround yourself with pro-Sox feel good stories? Don't you occasionally want them to be heald accountable or were the the last 3 years good enough?

On the Globe site, CHB is listed as a columnist.

I don't do that all the time. For instance I agreed with Dan on; calling Pedro a primadona who wanted special treatment, calling Nomar a pouter and quitter, and calling a Manny selfish and a non-team player.  There are many on the forum who can't stand CHB so don't single me out. 

So only when the Sox decide to move on from the player is it okay to bash them? Are you really this much of a ball washer? It is not about CHB is about the fact that you need to admit the Red Sox from 2009-2011 made more wrong decision than right.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Theo said that as a GM he felt that being 55% right on his decisions was successful. Perhaps you demanded that he be 90% correct was par for the course.  I do not know what the rate of success should be for all MLB GMs. Do you? How qualified are we sitting in our armchairs with no videos, data, scouting reports, intellect, and experience?

I don't demand that he be right 90% of time and it wasn't just Theo that was wrong. The owners were much worst. They tried to ruin Francona and brought in the worst manager in the history of the Boston Red Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts