Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan?

I ask anyone interested to click on the link below and go to 9:15 on the time scale and then let me know what you think.

http://audio.weei.com/a/51958854/valentine-players-are-already-frowning.htm#

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan?

In Response to Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan?:
    I ask anyone interested to click on the link below and go to 9:15 on the time scale and then let me know what you think. http://audio.weei.com/a/51958854/valentine-players-are-already-frowning.htm#
    Posted by BurritoT

Dunno why, B ...but my link was interupted and then unavailable ....

But if I think it is whatI think it is ...   players often grouse about conditioning ... we used to most of the time ... two-a-days, at least.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Actually the caller was for trading Lester, you have to hear it... it really speaks to how a lot of fans think, and its sad Cool

I just tried the link and it is okay for me, there is a 14 second buffering commercial you have to deal with, ON DEMAND - Mutt & Merloni - Players are already frowning segment - 9:15 into the clip

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

OMG  ...  did Softy's brother just get released from Walpole or something???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

By that way of thinking only 2 pitchers in MLB would get to stay with their current teams.  Wow, I guess this is really a throw away society we live in.  I like our staff, lot of wins in those arms.  also, if you figure that Lackey is an addition by subtraction and Dice-K may be able to give us some innings down the stretch we may be a better team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan?:
    OMG  ...  did Softy's brother just get released from Walpole or something???
    Posted by SinceYaz

ROFL!  It makes you wonder how many posters here have that way of seeing things.... geesh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

By that way of thinking only 2 pitchers in MLB would get to stay with their current teams.  Wow, I guess this is really a throw away society we live in.  I like our staff, lot of wins in those arms.  also, if you figure that Lackey is an addition by subtraction and Dice-K may be able to give us some innings down the stretch we may be a better team. 
    Posted by never1954

I see your post and agree... the humor was just how off-the-wall and illogical the caller was... this is the kind of guy who heckles his own teams players at the games and spills his beer on your kids when he jumps up to shout at the UMP.

Uh-duh-der-oomph zug zug

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I certainly do see the humor in the call.  I was actually listening to WEEI when that call came in.  Living in Upstate NY...I have to steam in anything New England.  I wonder how many years that caller lived without seeing any success at all from the RS.  I thought the "Nation" was suppose to embrace the Sox and back them through thick and thin.  And you are right in your assessment of this guy....he would spill his beer which would make him a 2 time loser in my book.  Wanting Lester gone and alcohal abuse.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I certainly do see the humor in the call.  I was actually listening to WEEI when that call came in.  Living in Upstate NY...I have to steam in anything New England.  I wonder how many years that caller lived without seeing any success at all from the RS.  I thought the "Nation" was suppose to embrace the Sox and back them through thick and thin.  And you are right in your assessment of this guy....he would spill his beer which would make him a 2 time loser in my book.  Wanting Lester gone and alcohal abuse.....
    Posted by never1954

how can anyone be a long time sox fan and think their team is always going to win and do well???? those are pink hat fans with no sense of history...spring can bring hope, not stupidity

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I actually was listening soon after this caller, the hosts referenced him, as did callers.

It certainly was not received like it was the mentality of the common sox fan. Lou and a caller at one point were laughing at the guy.

As the old saying goes: empty cans make the most noise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I actually was listening soon after this caller, the hosts referenced him, as did callers. It certainly was not received like it was the mentality of the common sox fan. Lou and a caller at one point were laughing at the guy. As the old saying goes: empty cans make the most noise.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

All true. It was funny and scary all at the same time

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan? : how can anyone be a long time sox fan and think their team is always going to win and do well???? those are pink hat fans with no sense of history...spring can bring hope, not stupidity
    Posted by georom4

G- here we have a very telling difference in psychological view of what a Sox fan is:  

you view a Sox fan who has faith that the Sox will succeed as a 'Pink Hat' because history taught us that we should not expect it, it is stupid to expect it.

But, to me, what made all those years prior to 2004 so hard was that I always expected it, always had faith that 'this year, things would be different'.  All those years of slugging line-ups that promised so many runs but surely not enough to overcome the perenially shaky pitching.  But, I always believed.  In spite of my better sense, because I was, am, and always will be, all in with the Sox, for better or for worse.  So, it is ironic that you would call this mentality 'pink hat', as 'pink hat', I think, implies a sort of new jack sensibility.

The difference these days, is that the Sox, even with big question marks as they have going into 2012, are fielding much more competetive clubs than they did for the decades that I suffered through prior.  The funny thing is that i actually view this new Sox fan entitled sense of We-Deserve-Rings-Anything-Less-Is-Unacceptable as 'pink hat', as this entitlement arose with the first beautiful championship, which was also the time of the rise of the pink hat that began to be seen in bulk at Fenway and beyond.  2007 saw an even greater explosion of this entitlement, and, not coincidentally, pink hats in the stands.

If a pink hat is a fan that isn't willing to take a huge dump on a club that promises to be competitive in a much more serious way than almost every edition we went into a season with in the 70s, 80s, 90s, well, so be it, I'LL BE DAT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan?:
    I ask anyone interested to click on the link below and go to 9:15 on the time scale and then let me know what you think. http://audio.weei.com/a/51958854/valentine-players-are-already-frowning.htm#
    Posted by BurritoT

Since when does one assume that one caller to a stupid sports talk show on the radio represents the "Standard Mentality of the Common Sox fan"? I've even read where WEEI actually pays callers to keep calling in every day with ridiculous opinions that are laughable. The thread title must be rhetorical at best and Burrito knows that the presumption is foolish.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan? : Since when does one assume that one caller to a stupid sports talk show on the radio represents the "Standard Mentality of the Common Sox fan"? I've even read where WEEI actually pays callers to keep calling in every day with ridiculous opinions that are laughable. The thread title must be rhetorical at best and Burrito knows that the presumption is foolish.
    Posted by lowelll

Thanks pike.... there is a "?" at the end of the title. Get lost already

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan? : G- here we have a very telling difference in psychological view of what a Sox fan is:   you view a Sox fan who has faith that the Sox will succeed as a 'Pink Hat' because history taught us that we should not expect it, it is stupid to expect it. But, to me, what made all those years prior to 2004 so hard was that I always expected it, always had faith that 'this year, things would be different'.  All those years of slugging line-ups that promised so many runs but surely not enough to overcome the perenially shaky pitching.  But, I always believed.  In spite of my better sense, because I was, am, and always will be, all in with the Sox, for better or for worse.  So, it is ironic that you would call this mentality 'pink hat', as 'pink hat', I think, implies a sort of new jack sensibility. The difference these days, is that the Sox, even with big question marks as they have going into 2012, are fielding much more competetive clubs than they did for the decades that I suffered through prior.  The funny thing is that i actually view this new Sox fan entitled sense of We-Deserve-Rings-Anything-Less-Is-Unacceptable as 'pink hat', as this entitlement arose with the first beautiful championship, which was also the time of the rise of the pink hat that began to be seen in bulk at Fenway and beyond.  2007 saw an even greater explosion of this entitlement, and, not coincidentally, pink hats in the stands. If a pink hat is a fan that isn't willing to take a huge dump on a club that promises to be competitive in a much more serious way than almost every edition we went into a season with in the 70s, 80s, 90s, well, so be it, I'LL BE DAT.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE

Solid

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I remember one caller into FAN.  He had a really stupid question.  After about 2-3 seconds, Mike finally asked 'is that the question you stayed on the phone that long to ask?'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan? : how can anyone be a long time sox fan and think their team is always going to win and do well???? those are pink hat fans with no sense of history...spring can bring hope, not stupidity
    Posted by georom4

Actually, I would think it is the fans who think they deserve a winner and reserve the right to complain consistently about the team are the ones who have no sense of history.  We are still in the greatest run the team has had since WW I and yet all I keep reading on this forum is how horrible the team is, how this guy has to go becuase the press said he misbehaved, blah blah blah...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Posted by georom4

C'Mon Mr. George Romero, acclaimed film director and writer who lived in Pittsburgh most of his life, admit that you are a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and were incensed when they traded away Jason Bay.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001681/bio

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The worst of it he didn't even sound drunk. That at least could have been an excuse for such drivel.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Standard Mentality of the Common Sox Fan? : G- here we have a very telling difference in psychological view of what a Sox fan is:   you view a Sox fan who has faith that the Sox will succeed as a 'Pink Hat' because history taught us that we should not expect it, it is stupid to expect it. But, to me, what made all those years prior to 2004 so hard was that I always expected it, always had faith that 'this year, things would be different'.  All those years of slugging line-ups that promised so many runs but surely not enough to overcome the perenially shaky pitching.  But, I always believed.  In spite of my better sense, because I was, am, and always will be, all in with the Sox, for better or for worse.  So, it is ironic that you would call this mentality 'pink hat', as 'pink hat', I think, implies a sort of new jack sensibility. The difference these days, is that the Sox, even with big question marks as they have going into 2012, are fielding much more competetive clubs than they did for the decades that I suffered through prior.  The funny thing is that i actually view this new Sox fan entitled sense of We-Deserve-Rings-Anything-Less-Is-Unacceptable as 'pink hat', as this entitlement arose with the first beautiful championship, which was also the time of the rise of the pink hat that began to be seen in bulk at Fenway and beyond.  2007 saw an even greater explosion of this entitlement, and, not coincidentally, pink hats in the stands. If a pink hat is a fan that isn't willing to take a huge dump on a club that promises to be competitive in a much more serious way than almost every edition we went into a season with in the 70s, 80s, 90s, well, so be it, I'LL BE DAT.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

GREAT POST!

POST OF THE YEAR!

I couldn't say it any better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Great post Spaceman but Georom is not a pink hat Sox fan. He is either a Pirate or Blue Jay fan. He lived for years in Pittsburgh and now lives in Toronto. Did he ever give you an ounce of evidence that he is a Red Sox fan? He considers you to be gullible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts