Standing "O"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Standing "O"

What am I missing here? We're playing the Mariners, last in the AL West and one of the worst teams in baseball, and Wakefield is getting a standing "O" after giving up 4 straight hits, climaxing with a grand slam home run. I don't think I've ever seen a guy, who has just given up a grand slam homer, receive such adulation. His line for the day is 6 & 1/3 innings, 10 hits and 7 earned runs, merits this ultimate kind of applause? I don't get it! And yes I am happy that we are playing well, that we won and are in first place.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Standing "O"

199 wins - and a career of faithful service.
    Look beyond the one game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Because the fans in the ballpark recognized down and distance.  The 6 innings and 3 runs gave the offense time to explode and take the lead.  Had the game been closer, Wake would have been out of the game after 6 or at least before the salami.  Is that so hard to comprehend.  if you are just a stat geek and don't actually watch the games, you might not get what happens and why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In Response to Standing "O":
    [QUOTE] What am I missing here? We're playing the Mariners, last in the AL West and one of the worst teams in baseball, and Wakefield is getting a standing "O" after giving up 4 straight hits, climaxing with a grand slam home run. I don't think I've ever seen a guy, who has just given up a grand slam homer, receive such adulation. His line for the day is 6 & 1/3 innings, 10 hits and 7 earned runs, merits this ultimate kind of applause? I don't get it! And yes I am happy that we are playing well, that we won and are in first place.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Francona sent him out in the seventh for a encore and it turned into a disaster. Blame Francona for the debacle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Standing "O":
    [QUOTE]Because the fans in the ballpark recognized down and distance.  The 6 innings and 3 runs gave the offense time to explode and take the lead.  Had the game been closer, Wake would have been out of the game after 6 or at least before the salami.  Is that so hard to comprehend.  if you are just a stat geek and don't actually watch the games, you might not get what happens and why.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Standing "O" : Francona sent him out in the seventh for a encore and it turned into a disaster. Blame Francona for the debacle.
    Posted by PaulLaCourse[/QUOTE]

It's not a debacle; you're misinformed about the dynamics of today's game & how he's trying to conserve the BP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

[QUOTE]Because the fans in the ballpark recognized down and distance.  The 6 innings and 3 runs gave the offense time to explode and take the lead.  Had the game been closer, Wake would have been out of the game after 6 or at least before the salami.  Is that so hard to comprehend.  if you are just a stat geek and don't actually watch the games, you might not get what happens and why.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Bottom line is he got hammered today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standing "O" : Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Bottom line is he got hammered today.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is the Red Sox won 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standing "O" : Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Bottom line is he got hammered today.

No Einstein, the bottom line is he won. But then again, I'm a red flops fan. Pathetic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standing "O" : Bottom line is the Red Sox won 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but that was not the topic of the thread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standing "O" : No Einstein, the bottom line is he won. But then again, I'm a red flops fan. Pathetic.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are a pathetic red flops fan. Glad you are finally fessing up to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

OK, he got hammered today.  You are right.  He should never be allowed to start again.  I don't know how the team came back from the huge 7 run deficit Wake dug for them.  He should have been yanked in the 4th inning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah I thought it was a bit strange he got a standing O.  Irony is if he was taken out a batter before, it might have been more well deserved and the pen might of held at least some runs (maybe all).  If we were up 7-4 and he gave that up and the score was 8-7 then I'm sure he would not have gotten that standing O.....it's weird how things work out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah I thought it was a bit strange he got a standing O.  Irony is if he was taken out a batter before, it might have been more well deserved and the pen might of held at least some runs (maybe all).  If we were up 7-4 and he gave that up and the score was 8-7 then I'm sure he would not have gotten that standing O.....it's weird how things work out. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Disagree; he did what he had to do, which was try to tough out the next inning; if the score was closer, he wouldn't have come out for that last inning at his age and this heat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah I thought it was a bit strange he got a standing O.  Irony is if he was taken out a batter before, it might have been more well deserved and the pen might of held at least some runs (maybe all).  If we were up 7-4 and he gave that up and the score was 8-7 then I'm sure he would not have gotten that standing O.....it's weird how things work out. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
     I think the standing O was because of his 2,000th strike out,199th win and respect for him.Also,Fenway's in a generally good mood these days because of the standings and the way the Sox are playing as a team which probably helped with the ovation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standing "O" : Disagree; he did what he had to do, which was try to tough out the next inning; if the score was closer, he wouldn't have come out for that last inning at his age and this heat.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

oh I agree that he wouldn't have come out.  I speaking hypothetically.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Standing

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Standing "O" :  I think the standing O was because of his 2,000th strike out,199th win and respect for him.Also,Fenway's in a generally good mood these days because of the standings and the way the Sox are playing as a team which probably helped with the ovation.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

That makes sense too

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Well deserved standing O, IMO.

He pitched well and kept his team in the game until they were able to blow it open.  Beyond that, he reached a nice milestone today.

Go Wakefield!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Remember last year when Beckett was getting "hammered"
    How soon we fans forget.
    True, Francona left him in for 1 or 2 batters too many, but he wanted to get 7 from him. The GS was not crushed and would have probably been an out anywhere else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, had Wakefield been black he would not have received a standing ovation because Ortiz, Manny, Mo Vaughn, Dave Roberts, Jim Rice, Gordon during his save streak never received a standing ovation for helping the Sox success. Boy, billybluejayboy, you are an utter moron.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Well put.

It seems that the longevity and the success of DOING WHATEVER IS ASKED OF YOU for the sake of the team is lost on the OP.

If the game wasn't in hand, Tito wouldn't have sent Wake back out.

Besides, we are beating the teams we OUGHT TO beat.  Nothing wrong there.  It's when we DON"T beat the teams we should beat that things can get hinky.  I know there is the sentiment among some that they are doing what they are getting paid for, which is true, but showing appreciation never hurts.  Never.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]yes, had Wakefield been black he would not have received a standing ovation because Ortiz, Manny, Mo Vaughn, Dave Roberts, Jim Rice, Gordon during his save streak never received a standing ovation for helping the Sox success. Boy, billybluejayboy, you are an utter moron.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

What?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

nh, responding to billyboy comment that wake is part of old white guys club which makes him good for standing ovations. Any sox player who does something special, regardless of the point of leaving a game will get a good standing ovation in Fenway because fans love their players. Tons of pitchers have been given standing O's after allowing hits or giving up runs to end a performance. it's common place if you are winning the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]He's white and one of the good ole boys.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

this post here

Sections
Shortcuts