Star/Manager combo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Star/Manager combo

I'm sorry, but I think the best start to fixing this team is to pull in Pujols. And the best way to lure him from St. Louis is to bring in LaRussa as manager. Now, I've heard buzz around the LaRussa to Boston idea...albeit as an unlikely deal...but I've heard nothing on any interest in Pujols. Everyone is saying that the one big piece that the batting order is missing is a right handed bat...well why not get one of the best in the game? It seems pretty cut and dry to me...you're now able to fill in the RF slot with whoever you can get instead of needing him to be a righty, or even a big bat.

Obviously pitching is a big need too, but you do this one move and then pitching is ALL you need to worry about.

Just throwing it out there as an idea for discussion.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Star/Manager combo

In Response to Star/Manager combo:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, but I think the best start to fixing this team is to pull in Pujols. And the best way to lure him from St. Louis is to bring in LaRussa as manager. Now, I've heard buzz around the LaRussa to Boston idea...albeit as an unlikely deal...but I've heard nothing on any interest in Pujols. Everyone is saying that the one big piece that the batting order is missing is a right handed bat...well why not get one of the best in the game? It seems pretty cut and dry to me...you're now able to fill in the RF slot with whoever you can get instead of needing him to be a righty, or even a big bat. Obviously pitching is a big need too, but you do this one move and then pitching is ALL you need to worry about. Just throwing it out there as an idea for discussion.  
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]

Where would you play our current gold glove calibre first baseman who also costs north of 20+ million a year? 

And, just in broad strokes, wondering how how you would structure the payroll to keep it at around 175 million, knowing that you would have to pay pujols about 30 mil a season for the the next 7-9 years ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Love Pujols but he is already in his 30's and his next deal will bring him to at least 40 years old.....not what the sox need. Even he could break down in his mid 30's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Pujols would not be a good fit, given we already have firstbase locked up for years with Gonzalez, not to mention his age, amount and length of contract necessary to sign him....all red flags to me. In terms of LaRussa, why would he come here? He is in the WS with his Cards, may even win it again. Not sure $$$ is THAT important to him. Our Red Sox are unfortuneately a two to three year project to get out of our third place doldrums, restock the minors, dump/trade some very heavy and ugly baggage (Lackey), and get the entire orgainization on the same page again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

As far as where to play him, you have him as your primary DH and let Papi walk. You can then have him and Gonzo platoon a little at 1st, and he could even play a bit of third to spell Youk.  
    In regard to money, you have Drew and Papi off the books. You'd be able to go cheap in RF, or just go with Reddick or Kalish sinch them being left handed isn't as big a deal with another righty in the lineup. Bringing in LaRussa may be an enticement to not competely max out on the money side...I mean, he's gonna get paid, but he might take less to go to the Sox with LaRussa, then say the Mets.
    A bunch of money also depends on how the Sox handle Pap and the Lackey situation. If they go with Bard, then you save a ton. The solid guys on the market like Bell may also drive the cost down for the rest. And obviously if they eat most of Lackey's contract and take on someone else's bad contract that doesn't help matters.
    The big part of the payroll though is Henry. He's not only going to be under extra pressure to put a champion on the field due to this collapse, he's also going to need to completely reshape the image of the team. These guys have already started to cause a fan revolt if you judge by the call ins to EEI and such. That may entice him to open up the pursestrings a bit more than he'd usually like and screw the luxury taxes. I can't think of many folks who have a cleaner image nor a better leadership image more than either LaRussa or Pujols.

It's not only a move to get an alltime great player, it's a move to ease a PR nightmare and help restore ownership's image (which if you heard his EEI rant seems to be what he's most concerned with)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

300 million dollars is a lot to pay for a PR move. and 30 million is a lot to pay someone who will split time at DH/1B. Just doesnt make sense. They need to get younger, and bring in more quality pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Star/Manager combo:
    [QUOTE]As far as where to play him, you have him as your primary DH and let Papi walk. You can then have him and Gonzo platoon a little at 1st, and he could even play a bit of third to spell Youk.   In regard to money, you have Drew and Papi off the books. You'd be able to go cheap in RF, or just go with Reddick or Kalish sinch them being left handed isn't as big a deal with another righty in the lineup. Bringing in LaRussa may be an enticement to not competely max out on the money side...I mean, he's gonna get paid, but he might take less to go to the Sox with LaRussa, then say the Mets. A bunch of money also depends on how the Sox handle Pap and the Lackey situation. If they go with Bard, then you save a ton. The solid guys on the market like Bell may also drive the cost down for the rest. And obviously if they eat most of Lackey's contract and take on someone else's bad contract that doesn't help matters. The big part of the payroll though is Henry. He's not only going to be under extra pressure to put a champion on the field due to this collapse, he's also going to need to completely reshape the image of the team. These guys have already started to cause a fan revolt if you judge by the call ins to EEI and such. That may entice him to open up the pursestrings a bit more than he'd usually like and screw the luxury taxes. I can't think of many folks who have a cleaner image nor a better leadership image more than either LaRussa or Pujols. It's not only a move to get an alltime great player, it's a move to ease a PR nightmare and help restore ownership's image (which if you heard his EEI rant seems to be what he's most concerned with)

OK, I am John Henry:  Even if I decide to significantly up my payroll for the sake of "PR", and even if I can somehow justify paying 30 mil a year for a DH, I still am not winning any world series.

Know why?  Because, more than PR, more than the need for yet another monster slugger, I NEED PITCHING!

And, guess what?  If I kick up payroll to about 200 mil, I am looking at bargain bin for pitching.  And guess what that will do for my PR.

Look, PR be dammed.  Beer and chicken be dammed. The reason the Sox folded up was because they were staying afloat for months on 2 good pitchers, 1 of the worst pitchers of all time, and 5 or 6 guys who's names really shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as 'in the rotation'.  That is going to catch up with you every single time.  

They get Buchholz back next year, so that is a start.  And, if i am calling teh shots, I give Aceves a spot (of course, then I still have to get pitching then to fill Alfredo's invaluable role in the pen).  I still need at least one more good starter.  And that is tough to come by.  Also, need bullpen help, a closer no less.

Pujols is awesome.  Greatest of this generation.  no doubt.  but this aint fantasy baseball.  If I am John Henry, i think i want to invest those millions in pitching rather than wasting Albert's great talents as a DH.  And, i guarantee, any goodwill PR gained by this signing would be almost instantly negated by giving fans another round of Brad Penny/Smoltzy on the hill.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommythetulip. Show tommythetulip's posts

[QUOTE] I can't think of many folks who have a cleaner image nor a better leadership image more than either LaRussa or Pujols. It's not only a move to get an alltime great player, it's a move to ease a PR nightmare and help restore ownership's image (which if you heard his EEI rant seems to be what he's most concerned with)

Are you forgetting LaRussa's DWI?  His steroid-enabling history?  I might cease to be a Red Sox fan if they hire this crybaby.  I doubt he leaves LaRussa's side, but the Cardinal employee I'd most like to see come to Boston would be Dave Duncan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Your last "Get Pujols" thread drew zero responses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Star/Manager combo : Where would you play our current gold glove calibre first baseman who also costs north of 20+ million a year?  And, just in broad strokes, wondering how how you would structure the payroll to keep it at around 175 million, knowing that you would have to pay pujols about 30 mil a season for the the next 7-9 years ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

money is not the problem in Boston...  Y ya all saying stuff about money!! Boston have money to cover even 200 mil payroll a year... Stop saying "oh.. how you gonna manage all that money" stuff...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]300 million dollars is a lot to pay for a PR move. and 30 million is a lot to pay someone who will split time at DH/1B. Just doesnt make sense. They need to get younger, and bring in more quality pitching.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

Agree that improving the pitching for next season has to be the priority. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Star/Manager combo : money is not the problem in Boston...  Y ya all saying stuff about money!! Boston have money to cover even 200 mil payroll a year... Stop saying "oh.. how you gonna manage all that money" stuff...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

well, drawing my conclusion from the fact that there has been, despite the supposed unlimited resources, a cap on what ownership is willing to pony up for payroll.  Whether this is just being stingy, or whether it is being business prudent i do not know.  But, given that it does seem to be the case, I am trying to couch my personnel fantasies within this framework.  I am not speculating on what they could or could not spend.  Just what they have been willing to spend.  So, sorry, can't stop asking about "how you gonna manage all that money" stuff ...  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

It could potentially be the worst contract in sports history.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Read the Forbes report that detailed operating revenues, operating expenses, and operating profit for each franchise in 2010. The Red Sox barely covered expenses that year. Making statements about how they are swimming in profits based solely on your opinion doesn't make it true.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

It likely won't work with the money...true. I have never claimed to be a figures guy. Who else is out there that is possibly available to be that big right handed bat?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The one thing I don't understand is reluctance to pay for a DH. You need a thumper in your lineup, that's just how it is...who cares if that huge bat plays the field or not? This isn't related to the Pujols thing...it's just an observation I've made in general.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]It likely won't work with the money...true. I have never claimed to be a figures guy. Who else is out there that is possibly available to be that big right handed bat?

Adrian Beltre ... ooops ... Matt Holliday ... oops ... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Star/Manager combo : Adrian Beltre ... ooops ... Matt Holliday ... oops ... 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Exactly...there's not a ton out there and a bunch of missed opportunities. I'm not the biggest Holliday fan, but in the post-steroid era those big hitters are becoming less and less (obviously). Is there anyone out there who seems about ready to break out? I mean, a Jose Bautista doesn't happen every day, but I have a feeling that's how the Sox are going to get that bat...pure luck.