Start times for ALDS games ( or why pro football has replaced baseball as the country's most popular sport).

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Start times for ALDS games ( or why pro football has replaced baseball as the country's most popular sport).

Too bad if you have a job that requires you to be at work on Friday afternoon. Because the moronic powers that be have scheduled Game 1 of the ALDS for the ridiculously stupid start time of 3:07 PM. I leave work at 6 PM. many of you probably are working at least until 5 PM. Of course we could all record it on DVR or DVD, chances are ( unless you are secluded from the public) some knucklehead will spill the beans and tell the score before you cna safely get home and start your recording.

Sorry for b*tchin', I  think about how the NFL has become #1 ( not with me) and how did they do it? They schedule games for Sunday, Monday night and Thursday night. When most people are not at work. I understand that there are many more MLB playoff games , especially with expanded playoffs, but do they have to schedule games durimg the day to cater to the non-working public?  Saturday start time is also dumb, 5: 37 PM, what's wrong with 1:00 PM or 7:00 PM, it works for baseball fans for 6 months , why mess with it?

Another example of how MLB is making their sport less desirable, and less convenient for normal people.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Start times for ALDS games ( or why pro football has replaced baseball as the country's most popular sport).

I don't know what the total numbers are, but suspect the OP is right about overall popularity. 

What I don't agree with is the notion MLB is being dumb.  For starters, the networks are the key to the game times, and the networks are looking for the best ratings.    Also, I think it is true to say the MLB has never been more popular or profitable than it is right now, and television is a big part of that. 

It's the beginning of the playoffs and all 8 teams are playing on Friday.  Two of the teams, Oakland and LA, are on the West Coast, so they get the later games. 

And I seem to recall World Series games in the 1950's were mostly played during the day.  Of course, nobody actually went to work in the 1950's, so they didn't mind day games. 

Americans love two sports that most other countries aren't that interested in--American football and baseball.  But we also like basketball a lot, hockey somewhat, and even soccer (everybody else's football).  We even watch womens softball, volleyball, basketball, and soccer. 

Still, baseball gets a lot of attention.  Did I forget to mention all those minor league teams--I'm guessing at least 120-- with ballparks all over the place, to say nothing of little league, high school, and college baseball? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Start times for ALDS games ( or why pro football has replaced baseball as the country's most popular sport).

The PS games should start promptly at 7:30PM

Who cares if all 4 teams are playing at the same time

Not too many people are going to watch all 4 games

MLB network could offer coverage off all games like the currently do - showing key spots and keep going back and fourth around the league

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Besides the World Series, most playoff games are watched regionally.

I understand the frustration of the start times. Im just glad I work from home during the week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I love my DVR.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

I love my DVR.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

I love leaving work early, even moreCool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

And I seem to recall World Series games in the 1950's were mostly played during the day.  Of course, nobody actually went to work in the 1950's, so they didn't mind day games. 

The first World Series night game was in 1971.

The last World Series day game was in 1987.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Besides the World Series, most playoff games are watched regionally.

I understand the frustration of the start times. Im just glad I work from home during the week.

Do you go to the office on the weekends?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

We even watch womens softball, volleyball, basketball, and soccer. 

Do yoy mean you and about 10 people. Outside the Olympics, other than Tennis, womens' sports are nothing more than terrible ratings and political pandering for votes subsidies. 

To be honest, I am probably as chauvinistic as anyone.  However, I have three granddaughters, one of whom plays a pretty fair game of soccer.  I really dislike womens softball, but like volleyball and soccer, especially the womens national team.  I will sometimes watch womens college basketball, especially the top teams.  And I do watch womens tennis. 

You're right of course that the men are a lot better and women don't particularly watch sports or if they do they watch mens sports.  But I continue to be amazed at how all womens sports have improved.  When Joan Benoit won the first womens olympic gold medal for the marathon, her time would have won the first five mens marathons of the 20th century. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Pro Football has replaced Baseball since the late 60's. I work in retail so I can watch some games on my day off during the week but miss some night games. I work till 6 Friday so I'll catch the end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Do yoy mean you and about 10 people. Outside the Olympics, other than Tennis, womens' sports are nothing more than terrible ratings and political pandering for votes subsidies. 

To be honest, I am probably as chauvinistic as anyone.  However, I have three granddaughters, one of whom plays a pretty fair game of soccer.  I really dislike womens softball, but like volleyball and soccer, especially the womens national team.  I will sometimes watch womens college basketball, especially the top teams.  And I do watch womens tennis. 

You're right of course that the men are a lot better and women don't particularly watch sports or if they do they watch mens sports.  But I continue to be amazed at how all womens sports have improved.  When Joan Benoit won the first womens olympic gold medal for the marathon, her time would have won the first five mens marathons of the 20th century. 

The women's track events are pretty good, as well as the gymnastics.  Basketball is okay.

Mostly I'll just watch whatever we played in the schoolyard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sorry for b*tchin', 

I'm not sure you are.  Or maybe it just seems like you enjoy it quite a bit.  For some reason, I seem to remember as a much more upbeat poster a year or two back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Blame Richard Nixon for Title 9.

Sections
Shortcuts