Start watching MLBTR waiver claims--40 man roster's due.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Start watching MLBTR waiver claims--40 man roster's due.

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perhaps the sox will move Lava or Salty or Vazquez foe a PTBNL to free up a spot for Gomes if he's signed or just DFA one of Kalish, Nava or Sweeney.

Ben's infatuation for having 23 pitchers is beyond comprehension. He should DFA a pitcher to add Gomes or Ross or both.

[/QUOTE]

Keeping 23 pitchers was the right idea. There's a good argument that 24 would have been better (Fields).

We will be making a 2 or 3 for one deal soon, and that will free up space for the overpaid FAs.

Is there a non-pitcher not protected that you really think had a seerious shot at being a solid ML player?

Hazelbaker?

deJesus?

Valencia?

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

If you are keeping Stolmey and Britton  and Wilson I would have moved

Beato

Atch injury probably  have cleared waivers--may ne non-tendered anyway.

Mort I would move because we have several of them.

I would not have left Hazelbaker unprotected--he has speed and power.

Hassan is not a power guy--he's a RH Nava and Kalish.

Seriously 23 pitchers and 5 catchers out of the 40 man roster???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Perhaps the sox will move Lava or Salty or Vazquez foe a PTBNL to free up a spot for Gomes if he's signed or just DFA one of Kalish, Nava or Sweeney.

Ben's infatuation for having 23 pitchers is beyond comprehension. He should DFA a pitcher to add Gomes or Ross or both.

[/QUOTE]

Keeping 23 pitchers was the right idea. There's a good argument that 24 would have been better (Fields).

We will be making a 2 or 3 for one deal soon, and that will free up space for the overpaid FAs.

Is there a non-pitcher not protected that you really think had a seerious shot at being a solid ML player?

Hazelbaker?

deJesus?

Valencia?

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Beato

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I'd have made some trades (2 or 3 for 1) before this that freed up some space for Fields and I guess in hindsight maybe Hazelbaker, but I have no issues with the number 23 for pitchers. It's what we need most. Also, keeping 5 catchers is just temporary. We will deal 1 soon. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wouldn't worry about Hazelbaker.  Then again, I would not have worried about Hassan, either.  We've all seen plenty of better outfielders in the minors not make anything of themselves.

The real question mark is Mauro Gomez.  I get he is one of two 3B on the 40-man, but really, he is not a 3B, at least not a good one.   Just DFA him and move on...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about Hazelbaker.  Then again, I would not have worried about Hassan, either.  We've all seen plenty of better outfielders in the minors not make anything of themselves.

The real question mark is Mauro Gomez.  I get he is one of two 3B on the 40-man, but really, he is not a 3B, at least not a good one.   Just DFA him and move on...

[/QUOTE]

I'm not high on Gomez either, and I hope they are no envisioning him as part or our 1B plans, but perhaps because we have no 1Bman yet, and no back-up 3Bman other than Ciriaco, he'll stay on the 40 man until we make a move.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

gomez should not be on our roster next season...AAA

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, you want Gomez platooning not backing up at 1B.

Silly clown.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hazelbaker?

deJesus?

Valencia?

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Beato

[/QUOTE]

Hassan has had a great OBP throughout the minors...I think BC is looking for that trait once again...I liked what I saw from Beato and Mort last year.

23pitchers is Ok. Its a big need. with 5 catchers currently on the 40-man, I think a trade should be expected after Thanksgiving.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hazelbaker?

deJesus?

Valencia?

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Beato

[/QUOTE]

Hassan has had a great OBP throughout the minors...I think BC is looking for that trait once again...I liked what I saw from Beato and Mort last year.

23pitchers is Ok. Its a big need. with 5 catchers currently on the 40-man, I think a trade should be expected after Thanksgiving.

[/QUOTE]

Who did/will we drop/trade to add Gomes?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stooge, you Tim Wastefield wanting active roster spot loser:

1st base:

Option 1: offer the tigers any 2 of the farm prospects outside the top 6 from BA rankings for the Red Sox, not for all of MLB, for VMart's 2 year contract

Option 2: Offer Napoli 2 @ base 10

Option 3: Offer Loney 1.5M MLB contract and since he's LH he'll play most of the time while Gomez will play against most of the RH Starters

[/QUOTE]

Wake was one of my options for the 6th starter slot, just as loney is one of yours.

Since your #1 and 2 options are not even close to being serious, I'll put you down for Loney/Gomez. We'll revisit this fall, you'll deny you ever said this, and the whole process will begin all over again with next year's absurd clown positions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

Stooge, you Tim Wastefield wanting active roster spot loser:

1st base:

Option 1: offer the tigers any 2 of the farm prospects outside the top 6 from BA rankings for the Red Sox, not for all of MLB, for VMart's 2 year contract

Option 2: Offer Napoli 2 @ base 10

Option 3: Offer Loney 1.5M MLB contract and since he's LH he'll play most of the time while Gomez will play against most of the RH Starters

[/QUOTE]

The Tigers are in need of a closer---offer them Bailey and a prospect for VMart. We can worry about our closer later. My preference would be Soriano. By moving Bailey you're saving roughly $4 M. So  if you offered him a 3 year deal for $45 it would be like getting him for $33--for one of the best closers--not bad. In addition we solve our 1 b and a third catcher.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

....You've denied you ever said 2M on Wastefield for 2012. that wasn't even close to being serious, 

It was $2M with incentives included. Stop the blatant lies.

2 Yrs and 20M is a lot of money for Napoli. That's quite serious.

When he signs for way more than this, you will see how wrong you were, but will deny it anyways.

I have you down for 3 years and 33 miilloon on Napoli. You'll deny that was your offer, just as you denied your Wastefield offer of 2M.

I clearly said signing Napoli was not my first choice, but lying is just something you can't avoid.

1st choice: trade Aceves and a prospect below #6 on soxprospects.com. (I might add another prospect below #18).

2nd choice: 1 prospect below #10 for Kendry Morales (maybe add another prospect below #18 if he looks good for the demanded physical).

[/QUOTE]

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He will sign for more, so we both lowballed Naps.

There was a rumor that Kendry Morales might be DFA'd, so I think 2 farms scraps for him is more realsitic than 2 for the "elite hitter" (as you called him) Vmart.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hazelbaker?

deJesus?

Valencia?

[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Beato

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who did/will we drop/trade to add Gomes?

[/QUOTE]

Atch or Hill are candidates.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Still waiting on that 2 or 3 for 1 deal, but I suppose some other teams are not wanting to squeeze their rosters either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I could see Gomez being DFA if they sign Nap or Youk for 1 b. If they went inexpensive at 1 b and signed Pena to platoon with Gomez --I think you would be strong there. for maybe $3 M total. I'm thinking Gomez will be better offensively than Youk and Nap--I think Gomez will find his maj.league power stroke this season.

Then decide if you would prefer Swish, Cody, Choo or Brentz in RF--

The third option trade for VMart for 1 b and an emergency catcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I could see Gomez being DFA if they sign Nap or Youk for 1 b. If they went inexpensive at 1 b and signed Pena to platoon with Gomez --I think you would be strong there. for maybe $3 M total. I'm thinking Gomez will be better offensively than Youk and Nap--I think Gomez will find his maj.league power stroke this season.

[/QUOTE]

Gomez is a huge gamble... HUGE!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I realize it's hard to imagine this 28 year old, Gomez, will blossom and be able to alternate successfully with Pena. I could live with Pena and Youk and have Youk available to play 3 b on occasion. Strong Bench with either Youk or Pena on it. I would take either option over Nap and his questionnable defense.

Also let's not forget the possible #4 OF--Jerry Sands to man 1 b. He played LF, RF, CF and 1 b with the Dodgers the last two years. Sands is no Trout but he's only 25. Limited Maj League experience.

70  Games--221 AB--.244 BA--17 2b--4 HR--27 RBI

I'd be willing to look at him as the #4 Of, back up at 1 b.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I realize it's hard to imagine this 28 year old, Gomez, will blossom and be able to alternate successfully with Pena. I could live with Pena and Youk and have Youk available to play 3 b on occasion. Strong Bench with either Youk or Pena on it. I would take either option over Nap and his questionnable defense.

Also let's not forget the possible #4 OF--Jerry Sands to man 1 b. He played LF, RF, CF and 1 b with the Dodgers the last two years. Sands is no Trout but he's only 25. Limited Maj League experience.

[/QUOTE]

I think Sands has a better chance than Gomez, but I'm not counting on either one to be our main man at 1B in 2013 or beyond.

I think if a 1Bman comes up from our system, it will be Travis Shaw or a player moved from another position like Bogaerts (he's tall enough to play 1B and seems to be struggling on defense at SS) or Cecchini (blocked by Middlebrooks and also seemingly struggling at 3B).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Sands has a better chance than Gomez, but I'm not counting on either one to be our main man at 1B in 2013 or beyond.

I think if a 1Bman comes up from our system, it will be Travis Shaw or a player moved from another position like Bogaerts (he's tall enough to play 1B and seems to be struggling on defense at SS) or Cecchini (blocked by Middlebrooks and also seemingly struggling at 3B).

[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it.  Boegarts isn't moving to first.  Cecchini has extra base power, but still only hit 4 home runs last year.  Maybe he'll be a candidate to move since he's blocked for the foreseeable future at 3rd, but my guess is that he gets moved in a trade in the next year or two.  The Sox will sign a first baseman this offseason, with Napoli the obvious favorite at the moment. 

Shaw is an interesting candidate, but he's not close and many project his ceiling as a below average regular at the Major League level.  His bat speed is an issue, which is never a good sign for a young player.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Don't count on it.  Boegarts isn't moving to first.

I have heard his best position may be 3B, but that may be blocked for years to come.

I don't see him as an OF'er, and I am a purist when it comes to wanting a great fielding SS. I do not think Bogaerts will ever reach that elite fielding status. 

He may not fit the traditional 1Bman mold, but I do not think it is out of the question to consider a move there.

I do agree that the Sox will likely sign Napoli, and if not maybe LaRoche or a trade for Morse, Butler, Morneau, or K Morales would be in the works. If we sign someone for 4 years, then it still might not preclude a move to 1B by Bogaerts, since Naps could slide to DH when Papi retires in 2 years.

Sections
Shortcuts