Starting lineup for the 67 Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyerica. Show jesseyerica's posts

Starting lineup for the 67 Yankees

The Yankees regular starters in 1967 were: 1b-Mickey Mantle, 2b-Horace Clarke, SS-Ruben Amaro, 3b-Charlie Smith, LF-Tom Tresh, CF-Joe Pepitone, RF-Steve Whitaker and C-Jake Gibbs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Re: Starting lineup for the 67 Yankees

I used to have a Joe Pepitone glove ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Joe Pepitone.  Great name.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Starting lineup for the 67 Yankees:
    [QUOTE]The Yankees regular starters in 1967 were: 1b-Mickey Mantle, 2b-Horace Clarke, SS-Ruben Amaro, 3b-Charlie Smith, LF-Tom Tresh, CF-Joe Pepitone, RF-Steve Whitaker and C-Jake Gibbs.
    Posted by jesseyerica[/QUOTE]

Though I am a Sox fan, my first hero was Mickey Mantle. I hated watching The Mick disintegrate at the end of his career...from "65-"68. For this reason, I never hated the Yankees, until 1976, when they had obnoxious players like "Mick the Quick", Graig Nettles, and Thurman Munson (well...they were obnoxious to me). But, I never could bring myself to hate them in the 90s. I admired them, and liked the majority of their core players (Jeter, Tino Martinez, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams). The Yankees corp players were pretty much home grown. Now...I just dislike A-Rod and Tex! Anyway, their not so great "67 line-up, as I remember, was:

2B Horace Clarke
         SS Ruben Amaro
         1B Mickey Mantle
         CF Joe Pepitone    
         LF Tom Tresh
         RF Steve Whitaker
          C  Jake Gibbs
         3B Charlie Smith
          P  Mel Stottlemyre, Fritz Peterson, Al Downing, Fred Talbot.

This is the cite for the "67 Yanks box scores: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1967-schedule-scores.shtml 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Hey TexasPat, is the person that you are debating invisible to the rest of us? Did you post into the wrong forum?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Starting lineup for the 67 Yankees:
    [QUOTE]Hey TexasPat, is the person that you are debating invisible to the rest of us? Did you post into the wrong forum?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

LOL!! No...just made a pasting mistake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Starting lineup for the 67 Yankees :      Though I am a Sox fan, my first hero was Mickey Mantle. I hated watching The Mick disintegrate at the end of his career...from "65-"68. For this reason, I never hated the Yankees, until 1976, when they had obnoxious players like "Mick the Quick", Graig Nettles, and Turman Munson (well...they were obnoxious to me). But, I never could bring myself to hate them in the 90s. I admired them, and liked the majority of their core players (Jeter, Tino Martinez, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams). The Yankees corp players were pretty much home grown. Now...I just dislike A-Rod and Tex! Anyway, their not so great "67 line-up, as I remember, was:      2B Horace Clarke      SS Ruben Amaro      1B Mickey Mantle      CF Joe Pepitone          LF Tom Tresh      RF Steve Whitaker       C  Jake Gibbs      3B Charlie Smith       P  Mel Stottlemyre, Fritz Peterson, Al Downing, Fred Talbot.      This is the cite for the "67 Yanks box scores:  http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1967-schedule-scores.shtml                      
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Agreed about Mantle at the end, his legs in those days were terrible (yet went 6/8 in SBs that yr). But, he still had his moments, and FWIW, his 18 HRs are the 4th highest in history for a last season. That yr, I went to an OT game; the Yankees lost 3-2, but both runs were Mantle HRs, and the 2nd was a blistering shot that went over the 402 sign and into the distant LF bullpen; I was a happy kid that day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I too was a Major Mickey fan and if those 100s of Mantle cards I saved, as a kid, are not totally disinergrated by now, Somebody would have a fortune in Cards if they were to go to the dumping site where my mom deposited them after I joined the air force. 67 is when I became a Red Sox Fan because I thought the Yanks were forcing Mantle to play in order to get people to the games. I got to meet mantle a few years later at a card show, for only $50 !!  LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Mantle transcends team lines for sure, he could crush the ball.   My favorite as a kid also ....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Wasn't Bobby Cox on that team? Maybe late 60's early 70's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Ah, the immortal Horace Clarke

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A good player, before he forgot how to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

True. And from what I understand, a good guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Wasn't Bobby Cox on that team? Maybe late 60's early 70's
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Wally Cox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Future HOF Mgr Bobby Cox, a "career minor leaguer", finally broke into the bigs for the Yankees in '68, started that yr at 3B (He had a good arm, shaky glove, resulting in some adventurous plays), and played 2 seasons.