Starting Right Fielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Starting Right Fielder

Terry Francona has commented over and over again that J.D. Drew will have that hot streak, but you know what Terry, it's not happening and it won't.

At this stage of Drew's contract, and Reddick in the player development stage, he had better be the starting Right Fielder. It's obvious that Reddick needs to be the starter and Drew can occasionally pinch hit if they are looking for someone to take pitches.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackojacko75. Show crackojacko75's posts

Re: Starting Right Fielder

I agree!!!! Reddick is hitting GREAT right now. I love hs quick bat and he is much more mature and patient at the plate.  It reminds me when elsbury came up in 2007 and outplayed coco and helped us win a world series. Josh looks like he's an every day player.  Give him a shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Starting Right Fielder:
    Terry Francona has commented over and over again that J.D. Drew will have that hot streak, but you know what Terry, it's not happening and it won't. At this stage of Drew's contract, and Reddick in the player development stage, he had better be the starting Right Fielder. It's obvious that Reddick needs to be the starter and Drew can occasionally pinch hit if they are looking for someone to take pitches.
    Posted by ADG

Drew hitting 8th tonight, behind Salty, tells me Tito is re-thinking Drew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick, beating up on the mighty O's pitching. See what's going down by September.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

Agreed!

With Reddick the Future Is Now.

Drew is awful offensively and should be Benched in favor of Reddick. Reddick should play full-time now. End of Story!

This Kid has it all

Defense & Speed In The Outfield
    Power Offensively
    Speed Offensively
    Hit for Average

With Crawford (hopefully soon) Ells and this Kid they have enough speed and Range to cover Fenway and Yankee Stadium at the same time.

What the H--L are we waiting for?

The Future is NOW!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

I'd imagine that Reddick will be the replacement for Cam roster spot when CC returns and it appears logical that Reddick will platoon with Mack. Of course the smart move would be to play Red against right and left handers to see what he can do as someone has to replace JD next year. Sox will have some interesting decisions going forward for next season. What about Kalish and should the Sox go after a right handed perm RF for next season. But this is the Sox and they do some strange things. We could still se Reddick sent down while JD continues to post his worse season ever.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Starting Right Fielder:
    Terry Francona has commented over and over again that J.D. Drew will have that hot streak, but you know what Terry, it's not happening and it won't. At this stage of Drew's contract, and Reddick in the player development stage, he had better be the starting Right Fielder. It's obvious that Reddick needs to be the starter and Drew can occasionally pinch hit if they are looking for someone to take pitches.
    Posted by ADG

Reddick and Kalish both need to learn how to hit breaking balls but should get their opportunity to win the RF position next season.  This is a tough call for Theo, does he trade for veteren RHH and work one of the kids into the role?  Trade for a permanent RF? 

Or give the position over to both kids to win or lose like we did Dustin at 2B?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Reddick has earned a FT spot in the line-up, and Drew should be placed on the permanent DL (Dead Load) list. 
    End of story.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

it is time for reddick to play enough right now to see what he can do for the team right now.  he has already shown that he is much improved over what we saw last year and all of his stats show as much.  i see no reason not to ride the hot hitter as long as he stays hot as he is certainly not a liability in the field or on the bases.

he may have to fight for right field next year with kalish, but he is clearly hitting MUCH better than drew and kalish is not even able to play yet.

he came up clutch again last night, he is not bailing out against lefties when he gets to see them, etc, etc.  not much else the guy can do.

trading for a right handed hitting outfielder may be a good idea to replace mcdonald or drew, but such a guy should not get any ABs in place of reddick.

i am old, so i remember lou clinton taking over right field for a great half season in the early 60s ('62 i think?).  he went crazy with the bat and never looked back once his name was in the line up every day.  he didn't do too much in years to come, but right now we should not worry about reddick for next year either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Reddick isn't going to keep this up obviously.  But even when he starts hitting 250 he is still a lot better then Drew at this point in thier careers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

reddick it is. i think he will be the 'starter' in right with drew filling in for him from time to time. d-mac will spell ellsbury and crawford.
    can't wait for the reddick/ kalish platoon and debate next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

With Reddicks superb defense I'd take .250 all day if he can keep his power numbers up.  Who knows though, obviously he ain't going to hit .400 all the time but his new found plate discipline is new to him, he may really evolve into a great hitter.  

If he hits his ceiling, I can see him as a guy who bats .275-.280 and hits 35-40 HR while knocking in 100 RBI's....and lets not forget his defense is top notch. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

First of all, when is Crawford going to come back? Until then, it's Reddick/Dmac platoon (really wish Tito would just let Reddick play left full time and platoon Dmac with Drew) in left, Ells in center, and Drew in right. I think that once Crawford comes back, Tito will move the Reddick/Dmac platoon into right and bench Drew, and while I'm all for benching Drew, I hope that Tito is able to go away from the platoon and play Reddick in right full time.
     Also, it's going to be interesting to see what the Sox do with right next year. Obviously, it's going to be between Reddick and Kalish, and while Kalish has superior talent, Reddick got to The Show a year earlier and, since Kalish is injured, is probably the better player at this point. I say that Reddick wins the starting job next year year but Kalish takes over in 2013.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick 35-40 HRS a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I want what he's drinking!
    If he played against the mighty O's all year he MIGHT hit 15 homers.
    What a joke. Talk about ZERO perspective.
    Maybe a guy like Mike Stanton can project those kind of numbers in the future, but not a guy who floundered in AAA for two years.
    Wake up! This player is not Josh Hamilton, but  a journeyman having a hot streak.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

ANYONE is better than DREW, ANYONE!!!!!!!!!

FYI: Reddick, if given a shot at playing full time can/will hit 20-25 HR's this year.

I cannot believe people doubt this Kid. If you have been watching him, look what he has done already. Hitting, Speed Superb Defense in the OF with plenty of Range and a decent arm

Drew is a no-show offensively, so benching him and playing Reddick is not an experiment it is the wise and prudent thing to do.

What do we have to loose? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get IT Done!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Starting Right Fielder:
    Reddick 35-40 HRS a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want what he's drinking! If he played against the mighty O's all year he MIGHT hit 15 homers. What a joke. Talk about ZERO perspective. Maybe a guy like Mike Stanton can project those kind of numbers in the future, but not a guy who floundered in AAA for two years. Wake up! This player is not Josh Hamilton, but  a journeyman having a hot streak.
    Posted by tbrod

wow, calm down there killer.  First off I said IF Reddick plays at his ceiling, and I wouldn't call a 24 year old kid a "journeyman" especially when he has seen improvement every year.  Also he has a nice powerful swing with the ability to hit the long ball.  If his powernumbers progress from MILB into MLB then he's easily a 30 HR guy.  He's got 16 this year in 250 at-bats of pro ball, so he's got pop. 

And to say he floundered in AAA for two years is a little unfair to the youngster.  Reddick has shown at every level of MILB that once he has had time to adjust he has flourished, he absolutely killed AAA pitching last year after a few months, and while his average was down this year his power numbers where up, his BB rate was up (this was his first year really trying to focus on that, which may explain his lower average as he is really learning to wait for his pitch to hit).

Like I said, I'm not saying to bet the Bank on this kid.  Only that he has a lot of potential and what kinda player I see him as being if he reach's his ceiling. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Watching the 2 K's and fly-ball out by Drew yesterday was brutal...I get the emotions-in-check, steady-keel attitude stuff, but he looks like he'd rather be anywhere than in the batter's box.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, Reddick KILLED AAA pitching last year, to the tune of .266 BA with a whopping. 301 OBP, after blasting AAA for .127 BA the year before. Guess that's unfair, eh?
    What are YOU looking at? Jim Rice or Fred Lynn's Pawtucket stats?
    There are only a handful of MLB players today that you can say "easily" can be penciled in for 30 plus homers. Reddick is not now, nor will ever be one of them.
    Also, since when do AAA homers count in MLB totals?
    The poster who sited Lou Clinton in 1962 is closer to the truth.
    Sure anyone at this point is better than JD Drew. Maybe Reddick is the short term answer until he returns to earth, as he will.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Reddick has always been a streaky hitter and this year has been no different.  Right now, Reddick should be playing every day and he's a better option than Drew at this point.  I wonder how quickly this board will turn on him once he goes into one of his cold streaks though.

Fun fact, Reddick is just 7 RBI and 8 runs shy of Drew's total for this season in 49 fewer games.

Reddick is certainly a better option this year than Drew, but is a further upgrade needed at RF?  Only time will tell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah, Reddick KILLED AAA pitching last year, to the tune of .266 BA with a whopping. 301 OBP, after blasting AAA for .127 BA the year before. Guess that's unfair, eh? What are YOU looking at? Jim Rice or Fred Lynn's Pawtucket stats? There are only a handful of MLB players today that you can say "easily" can be penciled in for 30 plus homers. Reddick is not now, nor will ever be one of them. Also, since when do AAA homers count in MLB totals? The poster who sited Lou Clinton in 1962 is closer to the truth. Sure anyone at this point is better than JD Drew. Maybe Reddick is the short term answer until he returns to earth, as he will.
    Posted by tbrod

Dude why are you being such a donnie downer???  First of all I said he killed it "in the second half" you gave me a BA for the whole year, and he only had a "whopping" 71 at-bats there that year as well at the age of 22.  If 71 at-bats is enough to judge him by what you see one year then how come 58 mean nothing this year?  yes he is on a hot streak and I never expect him to project these numbers year round, but you can say the same thing about his numbers when he's down (he's just in a slump)  You can't just pick and choose the small samples you want to make a point. 

Second of all I'm talking about his Potential, his ceiling. not what he has done or what I think he probably will do, what he can do.  I also never said they counted as MLB homers, I never said MLB I said PRO ball which anything single-A and up is considered pro-ball. 

Let me reiterate that point, I'm talking about P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L,  you are obviously looking at the negative side of his potential.  Which there is nothing wrong with only that you attack my posts as if I'm saying you can bet on this kid to be a star (which I'm not).  Scouting reports that I have read also agree with what I said, "if he adds strength to his wirey frame, there is not much limit to his power potential"

That's all I'm saying buddy, that the kid is still really young and has some potential.  Yes there are some negative stats throughout his MILB career, but there are positive ones as well, as well as areas he has shown improvement on and you can't write him off just yet.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Wake up! This player is not Josh Hamilton, but  a journeyman having a hot streak.
    Posted by tbrod

I wasn't aware that a 24 y/o prospect qualified as a journeyman....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah, Reddick KILLED AAA pitching last year, to the tune of .266 BA with a whopping. 301 OBP, after blasting AAA for .127 BA the year before. Guess that's unfair, eh? 
    Posted by tbrod

Whats unfair is twisting someones words, and using the wrong stats to make a point.  I said he Killed AAA pitching during the second half last year, I didn't say the whole season...I said the second half.  So to be fair lets look at his "second half" numbers...makes sense right?

BA   .351
    OBP .372
    SLG  .627

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Guys, I get it.  Everyone hates Drew now.  Fine.  Tito realizes that if he buries Drew for Reddick for good, Reddick WILL slump eventually...And then what.  Tito is good at keeping his people ready.  DMAC is an example.  Papi and Pedey during their struggles.  So please move on from the Drew must go bashfest.  Tito will handle the situation appropriately.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Starting Right Fielder : wow, calm down there killer.  First off I said IF Reddick plays at his ceiling, and I wouldn't call a 24 year old kid a "journeyman" especially when he has seen improvement every year.  Also he has a nice powerful swing with the ability to hit the long ball.  If his powernumbers progress from MILB into MLB then he's easily a 30 HR guy.  He's got 16 this year in 250 at-bats of pro ball, so he's got pop.  And to say he floundered in AAA for two years is a little unfair to the youngster.  Reddick has shown at every level of MILB that once he has had time to adjust he has flourished, he absolutely killed AAA pitching last year, and while his average was down this year his power numbers where up, his BB rate was up (this was his first year really trying to focus on that, which may explain his lower average as he is really learning to wait for his pitch to hit). Like I said, I'm not saying to bet the Bank on this kid.  Only that he has a lot of potential and what kinda player I see him as being if he reach's his ceiling. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

100% agree with you CT..Ive been saying this for a while now..Just needed the time to adjust to each promotion. he worked his butt off and he deserves to be a starter IMO..I think hes a 280 guy with 20-25 hr potential. hes still young, so we will see.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Reddick, beating up on the mighty O's pitching. See what's going down by September.
    Posted by tbrod

He's been hitting more than the O's.  Granted he's not going to end up batting .400 but until he cools off he's earned the right to step in the box. 

Sections
Shortcuts