State of farm system for Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

State of farm system for Red Sox

Where is it at compared to other teams?
    Are we looking good?
    More work needed to be put into it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: State of farm system for Red Sox

sday, I suspect the farm system is roughly average right now. The Gonzalez trade stripped it of three top prospects (all would be among our top five), and most of the rest is still a few years away.

The good news is that we seem to have hit gold with Salty, Morales, Albers, Aceves, and Miller. An influx of *five* young players, all contributing at this time, goes a long way towards making up for a farm system that is taking a breather.

Reddick may also be making the jump from "C prospect" to "major league starter".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I agree with thirtysomething.  The Sox farm system is rated somewhere in the middle of the pack, which is actually not bad, considering the poor draft position they earn by being a contender year after year. 

Being the homer that I am (or am sure to be called), I like to think that the Sox produce more good major league talent from their middling ranked prospects than most other teams.  But that has something to do with the enormous success they've had from the 2005 draft, where something like 5 out of the top 6 draft picks are now big contributors to the big club.  The subsequent years have produced far less in comparison.  But that has something to do with the Gonzalez trade, and some bad luck (Westmoreland).

That said, it looks like they have legitimate ML players and pitchers to contribute over the next 2 to 4 seasons that will have an impact, and that is all any team can ask for.  Ranaudo, Brentz, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, and Iglesias may be a year or two away, but Reddick this year, Kalish last, Dubront, Navarro, and a few others have been quite servicable as depth for the big league club when the inevitable injuries cropped up.

The question is who will be the next star to come out of the system?  That is anyone's guess but I'm putting my money on Lavarnway (Lin might become a star on another team).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Oh, and the fact is that the Sox currently do not need to have many big stars come out of the farm system over the next 2-4 years because of the ML talent they have locked up for that amount of time (a 4-man rotation, almost a full bullpen, 1B, 2B, 3B, and 2 OF spots).  Their big needs are catcher (possibly), SS, and RF, and there seem to be very legitimate star prospects ready to take those spots when they open up, if you believe that Iglesias is as good as advertised.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: State of farm system for Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]sday, I suspect the farm system is roughly average right now. The Gonzalez trade stripped it of three top prospects (all would be among our top five), and most of the rest is still a few years away. The good news is that we seem to have hit gold with Salty, Morales, Albers, Aceves, and Miller. An influx of *five* young players, all contributing at this time, goes a long way towards making up for a farm system that is taking a breather. Reddick may also be making the jump from "C prospect" to "major league starter".
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

I mostly agree with you 30, but I'm not convinced Fuentes would be in our top 5 with Kelly, Rizzo, Middlebrooks, Brentz, Ranaudo.  Certainly top 10 though.  Also, I just can't bring myself to say the Sox struck gold with Morales.  Eventhough he's been lights out since returning from the DL, I can't trust a 6.1 inning sample size.  Miller also looks like he's losing his control again, hopefully they can get him right.  Just hitting gold with 3 young players (Salty, Albers, Aceves) and getting AGon makes up for the loss of 3 prospects IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

From everything I read I would also say we're middle of the pack.  High in depth but low in star power the way I see it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Baseball America in March ranked the Red Sox farm system No. 17:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2011/2611472.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

they can rate it what after they want, all I see is Josh Reddick comming in and taking over a starting spot AFTER our farm system has been depleted.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With all this year's draft picks, I think we will see our fram system rating improve over the next couple years.

Reddick and Navarro are up now and helping, so I'm not complaining.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Just saw this on mlbtraderumors.com:

MLB talent evaluators tell Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Red Sox have a number of players whose prospect status is starting to rise and who could become elite prospects within a year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a thread on Speier on one of these pages.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

How about we judge the farm system based on the Red Sox needs?

Lavarnway may very well be the future catcher of this team.
    Iglesias SHOULD be the future SS despite his offensive struggles
    Middlebrooks may be the future 3B.
    The OF prospects are loaded with Kalish, Chiang, Hassan (that is if Reddick isn't the answer).

Pitching may be a bit thin but we do have Ranaudo to keep an eye on.  Don't forget 1-4 of the Sox rotation is secured for at least another 3 years.

I'd say from the Red Sox standpoint, they have a very good farm system.  Maybe a B?  I'd like to see some more pitching emerge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It looks like our near future ML needs (SS, RF, C, SP, and myabe DH if Papi leaves or Closer if Papelbon leaves) just happen to be the positions we have the closest to ML ready prospects in the farm or just called up:

SS: Navarro & Iglesias
    RF: Reddick, Kalish, Lin and others
    C/DH: Lavarnway (Federowicz/Exposito)
    SP: Weiland, Doubront, Tazawa and others
    Closer: (Bard to closer)

Onee nice thing about this team is that we are not overly reliant on out very old players: Wake and VTek. We will likely lose Drew and Scutaro, and probably Wheeler as well.

We have a lot of fine young players on the ML roster now, many of which are under team control for several more seasons:
    23: Navarro
    24: Reddick & Weiland
    26: Buch, Bard, Miller, & Salty 
    27: Lester, Pedey, Jacoby, & Lowrie 
    28: Aceves & Albers
    29: Crawford & AGon

That's a lot of prime seasons to come!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

There are IMo different ways at looking at the current health of a farm system.

One area where the RS are in good shape is having very promsing prospects aligned to what is in short supply and has high positional value because of it. Having Middlebrooks at 3B and Larvanway at C is a nice place to be because those are positions that aren't deep in supply right now.

The pitching isn't as deep as the RS would like it to be IMO. That is another area where FA and trade is inefficient and very risk driven. The OF has lots of poetntially MLB capable players but there isn't a lot of jaw dropping power there.

Overall they aren't so deep IMO that they can make more splashy trades without risking depleting the system. But they are in good shape for their model and if Middlebrooks really is what his promise suggests, they are in very good shape.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]There are IMo different ways at looking at the current health of a farm system. One area where the RS are in good shape is having very promsing prospects aligned to what is in short supply and has high positional value because of it. Having Middlebrooks at 3B and Larvanway at C is a nice place to be because those are positions that aren't deep in supply right now. The pitching isn't as deep as the RS would like it to be IMO. That is another area where FA and trade is inefficient and very risk driven. The OF has lots of poetntially MLB capable players but there isn't a lot of jaw dropping power there. Overall they aren't so deep IMO that they can make more splashy trades without risking depleting the system. But they are in good shape for their model and if Middlebrooks really is what his promise suggests, they are in very good shape.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

It's always tough to judge minor leaguers on power.  Usually the parks are bigger too.  Chiang looks like he may have some serious power.  Middlebrooks may have some from third as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

The farm is rated near the bottom right now partially as a result of the Agon deal.  However, things seem pretty good to me when you can have Reddick step in, Andrew Miller, etc.  These guys have all helped the team.  I think things are rolling right along nicely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think the farm ratings have already gone up. One special player like a Lavarnway emerging is a big factor in things. Is he of equivalent value to where Rizzo was last year? I would think maybe even higher at this point.

Brentz, Head and Jacobs have emerged this year as all very solid prospects when they were in doubt last year. I think we are near the top 10 now.

I think Cechinni ends up a better 3rd base prospect than Middlebrooks. To me Middlebrooks might be excellent trade bait. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]The farm is rated near the bottom right now partially as a result of the Agon deal.  However, things seem pretty good to me when you can have Reddick step in, Andrew Miller, etc.  These guys have all helped the team.  I think things are rolling right along nicely.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Jim, With all due respect, from everything ive read they are rated around 15th-17th last I knew there were more than 20 teams in baseball.