State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro?

by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe

“Maybe it’s time to make that call to Pedro,’’ joked one Red Sox official. We think .

If Pedro Martinez were in shape, it’s not a bad thought, but it seems the next time we will see him will be making his induction speech in Cooperstown, N.Y.

The real issues are, how serious are the injuries to Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester, and how badly off-kilter is John Lackey?

With Daisuke Matsuzaka also out, there are only so many hits your starting rotation can take before it doesn’t resemble your rotation anymore. The Sox now have lost four-fifths of their starting rotation, if you consider Lackey a loss, which you almost have to given his 7.47 ERA.

And if you had insisted that Josh Beckett would be the healthiest pitcher, you probably wouldn’t have believed it.

The only positive news is that the injuries have come right before the All-Star break. That should help Lester, who is on the disabled list with a strained lat muscle and could be ready to go by July 22. Buchholz, meanwhile, has a lower-back strain that acts up when he’s driving toward the plate. He doesn’t feel any pain just walking around, only when he’s pitching. Terrific.

Lackey’s maladies are probably the most frustrating, and if they aren’t related to anything physical - such as the strained elbow that sent him to the DL - then what?

General manager Theo Epstein has said it’s up to the team to turn Lackey around. Curt Young is a good pitching coach, but he’s not a miracle worker. At some point, a 10-year veteran has to reverse his own curse, and pronto. Lackey is a guy you should be able to lean on.

But like many teams with a lot of money, the Sox have suitable replacements. It’s hard to lean on a 44-year-old pitcher, knuckleball or no knuckleball, but last night’s starter, Tim Wakefield, has wanted this opportunity to stick in the rotation. He has his wish.

Alfredo Aceves also would rather start full time, but as he says, “I’m a pitcher. I will pitch when they ask me to pitch.’’ For the most part, Aceves has been a good jack-of-all-trades, though prone to wildness.

Andrew Miller has made three good starts, but now it’s time to see him go deeper into games, and turn up that heater late, when it’s needed to dominate hitters. The Red Sox feel they’ve found something, but Miller needs to show consistency, and even step it up a notch. While he said after his last start that he’s not concerned with his velocity, which was 91-92 against the Astros, he’s capable of throwing 96-97. OK, velocity isn’t the be-all and end-all, and if he uses his curveball and changeup to keep hitters off balance, great. But he has a power component to his game that we haven’t seen yet.

This obviously isn’t one of those seasons when the Sox will have minimal injuries to their starting rotation. The team’s much-ballyhooed shoulder program hasn’t prevented arm issues. Matsuzaka and reliever Rich Hill are out for a year after Tommy John surgery.

Medical director Thomas Gill was so concerned about Lackey’s elbow that he asked Epstein to include a clause in Lackey’s contract that would give the Sox a sixth season for the major league minimum if Lackey had to miss time because of Tommy John surgery.

When NESN’s Peter Gammons suggested that Lackey might need surgery by August, it was dismissed by the team and Lackey, but how far-fetched was it? He’d already needed a cortisone shot to relieve symptoms and there’s existing damage. The Red Sox have taken the approach that every pitcher has some sort of damage. True, but they knew Lackey had elbow issues and still gave him the money - almost $17 million a year.

At some point, the Sox will get something out of lefthander Felix Doubront, and Kyle Weiland, a former closer at Notre Dame who has made great strides as a starter at Pawtucket (8-6, 3.00 ERA). The scouting reports on Kevin Millwood (5-1, 4.88) aren’t good, even though he’s retiring Triple A hitters with an array of offspeed pitches. There’s always the possibility the Sox would seek to bring a veteran starter into the fold if they feel Buchholz, especially, will take a while to return.

The Sox’ salvation is their bullpen. You wouldn’t find too many who would have said Matt Albers would be a key reliever, but he has been. Because of Albers’s success in middle relief, the Sox have been able to utilize their entire bullpen, from Albers to Franklin Morales to Daniel Bard to Jonathan Papelbon. There’s also the hope that Bobby Jenks becomes a factor in the second half and bolsters the bullpen even more.

The best-case scenario is that by Aug. 1, the Sox have five solid starters they can depend on to finish the season strong. Their depth is constantly being challenged and the key is to find a way, whether with an enhanced offense, or just having depth guys step in and do their jobs better than expected. Last night was a good example: explosive two-out offense in the fourth inning, and Wakefield keeping them close.

Everyone knew this would not be a race in which one team runs away and never looks back. The Yankees have survived their injuries and now can look forward to Phil Hughes and Bartolo Colon.

They excelled with Derek Jeter on the DL, and now he’s back and can be expected to hit his stride some point.

The Red Sox should get Carl Crawford (hamstring) back by the Baltimore series, which begins July 18. He should bolster the offense while the Sox try to compensate for their pitching injuries.

So Pedro, pick up the phone. It would be nice to have you back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro?

Cut to Pedro napping with one leg hanging out of his hammock on the back 40 of his Dominican estate, a half-coconut full of pina colada dangling precariously from his right hand, the phone ringing and ringing to no avail as the balmy D.R. breezes coax Petey deeper into his afternoon slumbers.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Would love to see me some Pedro in a Red Sox uniform.

But with a 30-year-old body, not the 40-year-old frame he now carries.

Ah, Pedro. We miss you man.

Except for the eighth inning of game 7 in the 2003 ALCS, all is forgiven.

But I digress.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro?:
    [QUOTE]Would love to see me some Pedro in a Red Sox uniform. But with a 30-year-old body, not the 40-year-old frame he now carries. Ah, Pedro. We miss you man. Except for the eighth inning of game 7 in the 2003 ALCS, all is forgiven. But I digress.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Summer, give the man a break.  Hard to pin game 7/03/8th inning on Pedro.  His arm was spaghetti by that point.  All Grady, no?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

hmmmmm! so how old is he now? like about 38? I seem to remember him joking around with papi during papi's golf tourny and saying how it would take him about 3-4 weeks to get back into baseball shape.

now you guys tell me. how much of a kick in the pants would it be to see a reasonably fresh ready to go Pedro either starting some games or working outta the bullpen. and be effective as well.

I got a kick outta your post space!!! even right up to the part where pedie answers the phone and sez "hello Theo"!!! K-pasah!!!! lol

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tn0213. Show tn0213's posts

I for one would love to see the Sox sign Pedro and kick the tires....I am sure he would give you more and better than Millwood would even at this point.....and lets face it ...it would just be fun to watch.

Question for the board....where do rate Pedro all time.....Personally I think he is underrated by alot of baseball experts.....as someone who has watched the game for 45 years....at his best he was the best starter I have ever seen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]I for one would love to see the Sox sign Pedro and kick the tires....I am sure he would give you more and better than Millwood would even at this point.....and lets face it ...it would just be fun to watch. Question for the board....where do rate Pedro all time.....Personally I think he is underrated by alot of baseball experts.....as someone who has watched the game for 45 years....at his best he was the best starter I have ever seen.
    Posted by tn0213[/QUOTE]

oh man! 04 taking the championship for the first time in 86 years. watching pedie get soaked with champagne and just the look on his face when he handed the WS Trophy to Johnny Pesky! I know that guy still has some gas left in his tank........and I think that theo does too. this could get interesting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hear Luis Tiant and Jim Lonborg are also available.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I for one would love to see the Sox sign Pedro and kick the tires....I am sure he would give you more and better than Millwood would even at this point.....and lets face it ...it would just be fun to watch. Question for the board....where do rate Pedro all time.....Personally I think he is underrated by alot of baseball experts.....as someone who has watched the game for 45 years....at his best he was the best starter I have ever seen.
    Posted by tn0213[/QUOTE]

I agree that Pedro is one of the best starting pitchers that I have ever seen.  Still not sure that he would be able to help the Red Sox this year, but it couldn't hurt to bring him back.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro? : Summer, give the man a break.  Hard to pin game 7/03/8th inning on Pedro.  His arm was spaghetti by that point.  All Grady, no?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I dunno, Space. I thought about this a little.  Grady asked him if he had anything left in the tank and he said Yes, I can do this. Grady should have known, I guess, but maybe Pedro should have been more self-aware.

Or maybe I am being too critical...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro? : I agree that Pedro is one of the best starting pitchers that I have ever seen.  Still not sure that he would be able to help the Red Sox this year, but it couldn't hurt to bring him back.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

susan, if I knew Pedro was in shape and had been pitching somewhere this season I wouldn't hesitate to give him a shot.  The guy knows how to pitch "not just throw" and may have been valuable in the pen this season early on.

Jenks certainly hasn't done the job!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro? : I dunno, Space. I thought about this a little.  Grady asked him if he had anything left in the tank and he said Yes, I can do this. Grady should have known, I guess, but maybe Pedro should have been more self-aware. Or maybe I am being too critical...

No, I don't think you are Summer.  Pedro certainly could have checked in with his inner workings and siad "I can't go skip".  But, the thing is, a competitor like Martinez is never ever ever in a million years going to exit a game 7 of a championship series.  It is the manager's job to know better, not the player's.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Not to compare years but remember in 86 we were missing Nipper for 4 weeks(Mid May to mid June),Hurst for 7 weeks(late May to late July) and Oil Can for like 3 weeks in July. Of course we had Clemens all year but those pitchers were big to miss. So no time to panic just yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Point well taken, Space.  And thanks for the gut-check.

I just have a hard time letting go of 2003.

Lost a bet because of it, too.

But I digress....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Cut to Pedro napping with one leg hanging out of his hammock on the back 40 of his Dominican estate, a half-coconut full of pina colada dangling precariously from his right hand, the phone ringing and ringing to no avail as the balmy D.R. breezes coax Petey deeper into his afternoon slumbers.

Works for me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Wish the Sox would sign him, just teach all the kids that change-up. One of the best ever in baseball. Can you imagine if Bard could master it. For 4 or 5 years had Koufax type numbers.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    Last year, someone on the Dodgers board used all the pitching numbers under the sun, and concluded that for a five-year stretch Pedro's were the best ever -- including Sandy's. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro? : Last year, someone on the Dodgers board used all the pitching numbers under the sun, and concluded that for a five-year stretch Pedro's were the best ever -- including Sandy's
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Not in the post season. And Pedro was a .500 pitcher against the two best teams of his time: Atlanta in the NL. And the Yankees.

Koufax excelled against the best...when it really mattered.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

LOVE this thread. brings back memories. grady little had less judgement than tito.
    sure bring back pedro and el tiante. i read "looeee" still revs it up against the team he coaches. but yeah, bring them on as coaches.

now re the medical and training staff, fire them all and move into the 21st century.
    heard the interview where they injected buckolz in back muscles around the spine. the have no clue what they are doing. theyre using medieval technology and techniques. holy cow. how much is this franchise worth and we're using very outdated approaches and protocols?

peace guys

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: State of the Red Sox pitching staff;Time to call Pedro? : Summer, give the man a break.  Hard to pin game 7/03/8th inning on Pedro.  His arm was spaghetti by that point.  All Grady, no?

C'mon man, Posada hits a blooper into CF to tie the game. Not Pedro's fault just a lucky hit....that's baseball.
    I would stuck with Pedro in that situation as well. The way Posada was raking, he could have very well deposited one into the seats against Pedro's relief, and it would not gone into extras.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

i watched a. miller for the 1st time last night and was not impressed.
    i hope that was an off night because he doesn't have much of an arsenal out there. so far teams are hitting .291 against him which kind of confirms my statement.
    his 3-0 mark is nice, but, imo, misleading.
    i don't believe he is the long range answer.
    however, continue to let him start until he proves me right.
    hopefully, i'm wrong!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Point well taken, Space.  And thanks for the gut-check. I just have a hard time letting go of 2003. Lost a bet because of it, too. But I digress....

Hopefully you won the bet the following year...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]i watched a. miller for the 1st time last night and was not impressed. i hope that was an off night because he doesn't have much of an arsenal out there. so far teams are hitting .291 against him which kind of confirms my statement. his 3-0 mark is nice, but, imo, misleading. i don't believe he is the long range answer. however, continue to let him start until he proves me right. hopefully, i'm wrong!
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Miller WAS off compared to the other 2 starts yazzer..He has shown some good "stuff" his first 2 starts..Nothing stellar, but quality starts..Good for a #5..Last night was a mess..As far as Im concerned, the jury is still out on him..Hes pitched like a 4 or 5 so far, So I wouldnt say his job is secured just yet.

Sections
Shortcuts