Stay away from Boras

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Stay away from Boras

Absolutley love Jacoby, but I'm going to the JBJ route. Maybe some these Players should talk a little.
    If its collusion, then so be it for the better of Baseball.
    Remember its all about the Fans..... at least it should be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Re: Stay away from Boras

I've long maintained that Boras is bad for baseball, he breaks up built in chemistry that clubs try to achieve while their players are in the minor leagues. If you are a star and you are looking for just a payday then hire Boras because he's all about the benjamins. Don't worry about the teammates you've just abandoned. JBJ isn't ready but that's how things workout sometimes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Absolutley love Jacoby, but I'm going to the JBJ route. Maybe some these Players should talk a little.

do you mean the owners should talk a little ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I think somehwere along the line Boras forgot why he loved baseball. He is an awful part of the game.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Sportswizard1's comment:

I've long maintained that Boras is bad for baseball, he breaks up built in chemistry that clubs try to achieve while their players are in the minor leagues. If you are a star and you are looking for just a payday then hire Boras because he's all about the benjamins. Don't worry about the teammates you've just abandoned. JBJ isn't ready but that's how things workout sometimes.

Our society holds in high esteem a person who does his or her job well.

Scott Boras does his job well with negotiations with management.

Jered Weaver, Carlos Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez -- three Scott Boras clients -- signed extensions with their respective clubs without testing free agency.

I would note that two teams each had previously jettisoned Gonzalez and Gomez in trade without their consent, breaking up whatever chemistry Gonzalez and Gomez had achieved with their minor league teammates. Those four teams abandoned Gonzalez and Gomez, not vice versa.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We all know that baseball is a business. We all know that money drives business. Why are we acting as if that is not true ?  Where is the chemistry and loyalty when teams trade or DFA players ?  It goes both ways. Scott Boras is the number one agent in baseball. We might not like it, but it is a fact. He is at the top of his profession. Stay away from Boras ?   Maybe we should have told that to Bogaerts and Bradley.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Boras is not bad for baseball. 

Do not forget, his clients CHOOSE him.  He works for them, not the other way around.  The guy is just a really, really good agent and every player in MLB knows his MO.  The ones who hire him want that route to be taken in the first place.

It is not Boras' fault that Ellsbury sought out his services...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Our society holds in high esteem a person who does his or her job well.

Scott Boras does his job well with negotiations with management.

Jered Weaver, Carlos Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez -- three Scott Boras clients -- signed extensions with their respective clubs without testing free agency.

I would note that two teams each had previously jettisoned Gonzalez and Gomez in trade without their consent, breaking up whatever chemistry Gonzalez and Gomez had achieved with their minor league teammates. Those four teams abandoned Gonzalez and Gomez, not vice versa.

These are the only 3.

Weaver asked Boras to extend him against Boras' advice.  But, hey, Scott works for Jered, and Jered wanted an extension in anaheim.

Gonzalez received the larget contract in MLB history for a player with 2 years service time, and really, only delayed free agency by a year. 

Not sure about the Gomez story, but certainly it was an ill-timed perspective for Scott and Carlos, although I would assume Gomez had asked to get extended anyway and is probably not overly upset about it...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I'd like to see a contending team -- the Red Sox, for instance -- let it be known publicly that they simply won't consider any players represented by Boras.

Never happen.  But I'd like to see it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I'd like to see a contending team -- the Red Sox, for instance -- let it be known publicly that they simply won't consider any players represented by Boras.

Doesn't he rep Bogaerts and Bradley? Better trade them now!

The Red Sox have had relationships with Boras clients that worked out very well in the past - does a guy named Jason Varitek ring a bell? The one-year deal for Drew also worked out nicely for both sides.

At the end of the day, Boras irks us as fans, but he has a job to do and he does it well. If Ellsbury wants to stay in Boston, he can go that route and it will ultimately be up to him. Boras can't drag any player out the door unless that's what the player wants.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

actually  Ken Williams of the white sox did it back in 04

and I think for the most part has stuck with it with some exceptions

that said is boras  really the problem

is it not  the same ole debate who should get the xtra cash the owner or the player

when he's gone the next best agent will then seem like the devil

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

We all know that baseball is a business. We all know that money drives business. Why are we acting as if that is not true ?  Where is the chemistry and loyalty when teams trade or DFA players ?  It goes both ways. Scott Boras is the number one agent in baseball. We might not like it, but it is a fact. He is at the top of his profession. Stay away from Boras ?   Maybe we should have told that to Bogaerts and Bradley.

I agree with you.   {#emotions_dlg.laughing}

Boras is the very best at what he does.  If I was a baseball player, I would choose him in a heartbeat.  

Baseball is also a business.  I respect what every single baseball player decides to go to.  Besides, they are doing what is best for them and their family.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Do you think that the Red Sox will lower ticket prices if there was collusion and they were spending less $ on players?  do you think the price of a hot dog would drop below $5?  a beer for under $10?  the money "saved" would simply go into the owners pockets.

I would be "all in" on collusion if I was able to take my son to a single game at Fenway and not have to spend over $500.....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Doesn't he rep Bogaerts and Bradley? Better trade them now!

The Red Sox have had relationships with Boras clients that worked out very well in the past - does a guy named Jason Varitek ring a bell? The one-year deal for Drew also worked out nicely for both sides.

At the end of the day, Boras irks us as fans, but he has a job to do and he does it well. If Ellsbury wants to stay in Boston, he can go that route and it will ultimately be up to him. Boras can't drag any player out the door unless that's what the player wants.

Uhhh.  Wait a minute. 

Boras holds quite a lot of sway over his players in that since the player hired Boras they believe what he says - but he's not always right. 

Since you mention Veritek - Boras DID represent Veritek -- for quite a while.  Boras is also the guy who persuaded JV to go to FA when the Sox had made him an offer of (IIRC) $10MM.  'Tek took Boras' advice, went to FA, and found out that nobody wanted him other than the Sox - at least for the kind of money Boras wanted for him.  Veritek then fired Boras and came back to Boston for.... what was it?... about $2MM? 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to greatplayer's comment:

Veritik's second wife was lobbying, as his de facto agent, for another two or three year contract after Varitek's last season with the Red Sox. Moonslavemisist was also lobbying the Red Sox to pay 2 million for Varitek when Varitek's market value was a minor league contract.

Regradless, Boras "cost" Jason Veritek $8MM.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Since you mention Veritek - Boras DID represent Veritek -- for quite a while.  Boras is also the guy who persuaded JV to go to FA when the Sox had made him an offer of (IIRC) $10MM.  'Tek took Boras' advice, went to FA, and found out that nobody wanted him other than the Sox - at least for the kind of money Boras wanted for him.  Veritek then fired Boras and came back to Boston for.... what was it?... about $2MM? 

Haha...as it happens, I had forgotten all about this. Points to you, sir.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to greatplayer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you think that the Red Sox will lower ticket prices if there was collusion and they were spending less $ on players?  do you think the price of a hot dog would drop below $5?  a beer for under $10?  the money "saved" would simply go into the owners pockets.

False,the money saved would go into the pockets of another player or players.

ummm...then that drives said players price up.  the ferris wheel goes round n round.

I would be "all in" on collusion if I was able to take my son to a single game at Fenway and not have to spend over $500.....

It's not "collusion" for a team to say "I'm not going to guarantee 100 million plus to a guy with 1 AS appearance in a 7 year MLB career", that's not "collussion".

if you read the OP then you would see where collusion was brought up.  If all teams do it, it's collusion. 

The reason you choose to spend $500 to take your son to a single Red Sox game is because of the costs of the labor. They are playing a child's game, so you might want to think twice before spending that kind of money to watch a baseball game.

AGAIN...READ MY ORIGINAL POST IN THIS THREAD.  DO YOU THINK THAT THE BOSTON RED SOX (or in your case your favorite team the NY Yankees) WILL LOWER TICKET PRICES, FOOD PRICES, PARKING PRICES IF THEIR PAYROLL IS REDUCED?  answer this question then feel free to tell me "why" I choose to take my son up to Fenway each year for a game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I agreed with you all that Boras is bad for baseball, and he have the highest rate MLB for sending free agents to a new team unlike other agents who helped players to remain with the team.

I understand it is all about business, but the owners and GM"s can try to avoid Boras's demands like Boston have done it for past many years lately.   I know Boston have signed Crawford, and went after hard at Texieria and Hamilton in the past.  But the good thing was that they didnt up their price after they saw another teams trumped Boston's offer.  And also another good thing that they didnt sign them or otherwise, Boston may not have won it all this year!!

Now after Boston saw how the free agency have worked in the past four to five years, now they can change their approach on how to build a good chemistry team.  They can still offer Ellsbury 5/75 to 6/100mm dollars contract, but that is how far they can go.  If someone else trump Boston's offer, let Ellsbury decides whether he return or walks away.  Then if Ellsbury struggle with his new team like Pujols, Werth, Hamilton, Wilson, etc have all done it with the new team, then we can laugh at them.  

Sections
Shortcuts