Stay away from Boras

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Stay away from Boras

In response to greatplayer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reason you choose to spend $500 to take your son to a single Red Sox game is because of the costs of the labor. They are playing a child's game, so you might want to think twice before spending that kind of money to watch a baseball game.

AGAIN...READ MY ORIGINAL POST IN THIS THREAD.  DO YOU THINK THAT THE

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. 
    An equal argument can be made that the Sox are charging what the market will bear for their product.  As long as management is making a profit that price would be the same regardless of their production costs.  The difference is that rather than all the profits going into the owner's pockets, the players are getting a bigger piece of the pie.

This ain't all that complicated so pay attention:

The reason we spend $500 to take our son to a Red Sox game is because we choose to do it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    I agreed with you all that Boras is bad for baseball, and he have the highest rate MLB for sending free agents to a new team unlike other agents who helped players to remain with the team.

Do you have any statistics to support this?

The player ultimately decides whether to test free agency and even if the player takes that route he may return to his team, as did Scott Boras client Matt Holliday.

What about the team that does not make a serious effort to re-sign its player who enters free agency?

The market cuts both ways.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutley love Jacoby, but I'm going to the JBJ route. Maybe some these Players should talk a little.
    If its collusion, then so be it for the better of Baseball.
    Remember its all about the Fans..... at least it should be.

[/QUOTE]

Do you think that the Red Sox will lower ticket prices if there was collusion and they were spending less $ on players?  do you think the price of a hot dog would drop below $5?  a beer for under $10?  the money "saved" would simply go into the owners pockets.

I would be "all in" on collusion if I was able to take my son to a single game at Fenway and not have to spend over $500.....

[/QUOTE]

good job slash

I think you spending the 5 has more to do with the prices than boras does

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Sportswizard1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've long maintained that Boras is bad for baseball, he breaks up built in chemistry that clubs try to achieve while their players are in the minor leagues. If you are a star and you are looking for just a payday then hire Boras because he's all about the benjamins. Don't worry about the teammates you've just abandoned. JBJ isn't ready but that's how things workout sometimes.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the players look at it that way

I know the union doesn't

they feel the more said FA gets the more the next player can get

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutley love Jacoby, but I'm going to the JBJ route. Maybe some these Players should talk a little.
    If its collusion, then so be it for the better of Baseball.
    Remember its all about the Fans..... at least it should be.

[/QUOTE]

Remember in six years, Bradley is a Boras client.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

An equal argument can be made that the Sox are charging what the market will bear for their product.  As long as management is making a profit that price would be the same regardless of their production costs.

False, "regardles of produciton costs" is where your stupidity shows. Profit margins are directly tied to labor costs and they determine "what the market will bear" and affect what the owners will spend. If you paid attention, you would see that any money not spent on Ellsbury will be going to other players, which is the essence of the decision.

The reason you choose to spend $500 is the exact choice I pointed out as a subjective choice. The reason you are paying $500 instead of $10 for one game is the costs of the labor, pal.  

[/QUOTE]

No it is an open market. you can spend money elsewhere. If you did that you would have what the NBA and NHL have in smaller contracts. You are choosing to buy a product buy something else. Do you know how much it cost to go to an amusement park, concert, or even the movies? They aren't cheap. You could probably go to NBA game or NHL for cheaper then the movies on a Friday night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Since nearly all of the big labor contracts are for more than one year, 20M drop from one year to the next is meaningless on the budgeting process. In fact, because of the costs of veteran FA labor and a spoiled and stupidly impatient Red Sox fanbase the cost of labor has gone up nearly every year and is the essence of the issue. 

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  3 World Series titles in 10 years under this regime with a "stupidly impatient" fanbase.  ahhahahaha.

enjoy life without Mariano softy.  I hope derek gives you 1 more season of joy.

and just to set you straight...the "backup CFer" you hate....well....he was the STARTING CF FOR 2 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Geez guys -- I don't mean to be the spelling police but, it's 

Varitek

not Veritek.

I got lost early in this thread because of that. Sheesh -- he's only second- or third-best catcher in Sox history and part of an historic team. It's not too much to ask to spell his name right.

As for Boras -- he's good at what he does. Can't begrudge a guy for that.

In the end, it's on the players and teams. If the teams don't want to pay the money, don't. And the player should think beyond getting the last penny and see where will he be happy. If getting the last penny is the most important thing to the player, that's on the player, not Boras.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The reason you choose to spend $500 to take your son to a single Red Sox game is because of the costs of the labor. They are playing a child's game, so you might want to think twice before spending that kind of money to watch a baseball game.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. 
    An equal argument can be made that the Sox are charging what the market will bear for their product.  As long as management is making a profit that price would be the same regardless of their production costs.  The difference is that rather than all the profits going into the owner's pockets, the players are getting a bigger piece of the pie.

The reason we spend $500 to take our son to a Red Sox game is because we choose to do it. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is capitalism. Tickets prices have nothing to do with player costs. In any business, owners charge what the market will bear. Yes, as costs go up, owners will raise prices to cover the costs but only to the point that they maximize revenue. If raising prices reduces revenue because of less sales, then prices will go down. And eventually labor costs will to when it reaches an extreme situation.

The owners pay high labor costs because they have the revenue to pay those costs and still make a profit.

One thing to add, however. Players like to talk about getting market value, but in the market is distorted.

Every business will have there own salary cap for salaries. It's based on getting the job done and maximizing profits. There's a point where no matter how talented an employee might be, if you pay him more, it's simply going to cut into the profit.

A business might go over the cap for a talented employee but only to the point where you think that employee's skill might increase revenue.

In baseball, however, you have two different forces. If owners paid players like a true business -- to maximize profits -- it would depress salaries. Owners would pay to put a team on the field that is competitive and entertaining so fans will want to watch. But once a team is at that point, adding that expensive player or two that could put a team in the World Series would simply cut into the profit. So in a real business model, that wouldn't happen.

But in baseball (and sports) there is a desire to win. So an owner might go over budget, cut into his profits, in an effort to win. If a decison to play labor isn't based on maximizing profits, that's not a true market for a player in a true business model -- especially in the long term.

In the short term, business do make decisions on occasion based on other factors -- prestige, which could help long-term profits, lower profits in the short term to increase market share, which will increase profit in the long term. But that's different from an everyday approach that sports require.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I read an article in ESPN that Boras has negotiated more than $5 "billion" in major league contracts.  Geez.   LOL

Give Boras credit--he lives and breathes baseball 24/7.  After all, he is totally commited only to baseball.  

Jay-Z and his agency need to back up their talk (10-year, $310 million for Cano).  If Cano ends up with less years and dollars, then Jay-Z and his agency will look weak.  I guess we will find out.   {#emotions_dlg.laughing}

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Varitek

not Veritek.

[/QUOTE]

Poitnt taken. Mea culpa.  Oops!  Embarassed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is capitalism. Tickets prices have nothing to do with player costs. In any business, owners charge what the market will bear. Yes, as costs go up, owners will raise prices to cover the costs but only to the point that they maximize revenue. If raising prices reduces revenue because of less sales, then prices will go down. And eventually labor costs will to when it reaches an extreme situation.

The owners pay high labor costs because they have the revenue to pay those costs and still make a profit.

One thing to add, however. Players like to talk about getting market value, but in the market is distorted.

Every business will have there own salary cap for salaries. It's based on getting the job done and maximizing profits. There's a point where no matter how talented an employee might be, if you pay him more, it's simply going to cut into the profit.

A business might go over the cap for a talented employee but only to the point where you think that employee's skill might increase revenue.

In baseball, however, you have two different forces. If owners paid players like a true business -- to maximize profits -- it would depress salaries. Owners would pay to put a team on the field that is competitive and entertaining so fans will want to watch. But once a team is at that point, adding that expensive player or two that could put a team in the World Series would simply cut into the profit. So in a real business model, that wouldn't happen.

But in baseball (and sports) there is a desire to win. So an owner might go over budget, cut into his profits, in an effort to win. If a decison to play labor isn't based on maximizing profits, that's not a true market for a player in a true business model -- especially in the long term.

In the short term, business do make decisions on occasion based on other factors -- prestige, which could help long-term profits, lower profits in the short term to increase market share, which will increase profit in the long term. But that's different from an everyday approach that sports require.

[/QUOTE]

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you know how much it cost to go to an amusement park, concert, or even the movies?

Is it 500 to go to "even the movies". You are making a fool of yourself.

The reason Red Sox tickets are so high is because of labor costs. 

[/QUOTE]

Look at that!  On here with one name in the morning, banned againg before noon and back in the same threads two hours later with a new name! 

That may not be a record but it's a darn good average!  Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Varitek

not Veritek.

I got lost early in this thread because of that. Sheesh -- he's only second- or third-best catcher in Sox history and part of an historic team. It's not too much to ask to spell his name right.

In the end, it's on the players and teams. If the teams don't want to pay the money, don't. And the player should think beyond getting the last penny and see where will he be happy. If getting the last penny is the most important thing to the player, that's on the player, not Boras.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think theres much argument about that, roy. It's not what he does, but how 
    he goes about it. Nothing speaks to that more than announcing AROD was opting out of his contract, during the '07 World Series. Classless, to say the least

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment: 

I agreed with you all that Boras is bad for baseball, and he have the highest rate MLB for sending free agents to a new team unlike other agents who helped players to remain with the team.

Let's not forget that the Red Sox in the past year signed free agents Mike Napoli, Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, David Ross, Stephen Drew*, Ryan Dempster and Koji Uehara away from their former teams.

Are the Red Sox a big part of the problem you cite?

* Drew was the only one of those free agents to be represented by Scott Boras

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Boras is not bad for baseball.  He is simply the best agent working today.  People at the top of their respective fields will always draw the ire of someone.

If he was not there, someone else would be the "Devil Agent."  Believe me, every agent working in baseball today wishes he was as good as Boras. 

Jeff Moorad used to have a "friendly feud" with Boras, constantly trying to get bigger offers for his clients (including Manny's contract with Boston).  Then he became an executive with the Diamondbacks, and suddenly decided players were not really worth the prices he was getting for them...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I read an article in ESPN that Boras has negotiated more than $5 "billion" in major league contracts.  Geez.   LOL

Give Boras credit--he lives and breathes baseball 24/7.  After all, he is totally commited only to baseball.  

Jay-Z and his agency need to back up their talk (10-year, $310 million for Cano).  If Cano ends up with less years and dollars, then Jay-Z and his agency will look weak.  I guess we will find out.   {#emotions_dlg.laughing}

[/QUOTE]

Borass lives and breathes money, and is totally committed only to money. Let's not pretend otherwise. He gets a percentage of whatever the player gets. He's not fighting for the players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Varitek

not Veritek.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think theres much argument about that, roy. It's not what he does, but how 
    he goes about it. Nothing speaks to that more than announcing AROD was opting out of his contract, during the '07 World Series. Classless, to say the least

[/QUOTE]

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

Boras is as bad for baseball as steroids!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to see a contending team -- the Red Sox, for instance -- let it be known publicly that they simply won't consider any players represented by Boras.

Never happen.  But I'd like to see it.

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't he rep Bogaerts and Bradley? Better trade them now!

The Red Sox have had relationships with Boras clients that worked out very well in the past - does a guy named Jason Varitek ring a bell? The one-year deal for Drew also worked out nicely for both sides.

At the end of the day, Boras irks us as fans, but he has a job to do and he does it well. If Ellsbury wants to stay in Boston, he can go that route and it will ultimately be up to him. Boras can't drag any player out the door unless that's what the player wants.

[/QUOTE]

Of course he does....it's pathetic that a) people rant about Boras when they don't even know which Red Sox players he represents, and b) people think a good strategy would be to spurn all Boras clients when he represents a disproportionately large number of the best players.  Just pathetic.

Perhaps a better strategy would be to develop a good working relationship with Boras as the Sox seem to have done?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Boras isn't a problem, he's a stupid used car salesman who puffs the fraudulent lines about his clients. The problem is stupid GM's and owners.

Stay away from Crawbust, I mean Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]Thanks SOFTY, DAD & BILL-806, concur !!!!

[/QUOTE]

This is another new Softy handle, genius.

Sections
Shortcuts