Stephen Drew: My brother JD was laid back, I am different.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Stephen Drew: My brother JD was laid back, I am different.

i'm glad we got him..i remember him hitting alot of triples...when napoli signs i like our lineup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8784460/stephen-drew-boston-red-sox-shortstop-said-looking-forward-playing-boston

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Now that's what I want to hear from this kid!!!  Good on him! 

He's got a clean slate with me.  Whatever he does in Boston, I'm not gonna hang his brothers dirty laundry on him.  That was pretty much the big knock I had on J.D., so it's music to my ears :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I always appreciated JD's role in bringing a championship to Boston and felt he got a bad rap here and in this forum in particular. 

JD certainly underperformed his contract to an extent but you could not put him on the list of all time Red Sox busts as some do here. To be fair in the last ten years there have been some seriously high profile busts that force JD out of the running entirely. 

The biggest JD issue is that he wasn't a perfect fit here because fans couldn't relate to his attitude. As a result they turned on him more than was fair. Though of course JD being overhyped as a five tool player was part of the problem and his last year or two here was painful. 

I like his brother's attitude. However one of my biggest criticisms of the franchise the last ten years is how they have handled the short stop position and I'm not sure Drew solves that. But hey Iggy isn't ready as he can't hit so maybe Stephen Drew will be a good fit. I like Stephen's quotes and attitude so far...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not like the Stephen Drew signing.  But since he is now a Red Sox, I will support him and hope he does well. 

The SS position for the Red Sox have changed more often than I have changed girlfriends.  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always appreciated JD's role in bringing a championship to Boston and felt he got a bad rap here and in this forum in particular. 

JD certainly underperformed his contract to an extent but you could not put him on the list of all time Red Sox busts as some do here. To be fair in the last ten years there have been some seriously high profile busts that force JD out of the running entirely. 

The biggest JD issue is that he wasn't a perfect fit here because fans couldn't relate to his attitude. As a result they turned on him more than was fair. Though of course JD being overhyped as a five tool player was part of the problem and his last year or two here was painful. 

I like his brother's attitude. However one of my biggest criticisms of the franchise the last ten years is how they have handled the short stop position and I'm not sure Drew solves that. But hey Iggy isn't ready as he can't hit so maybe Stephen Drew will be a good fit. I like Stephen's quotes and attitude so far...

[/QUOTE]

In the end from 2002 to 2008 we played in 4 ALCS, winning two World Series. During that time frame we had 4 or 5 different starting SS. So I don't really have an issue with how they've manned the position, given the results. It's all about the roster make-up and the ability of each of the players manning a position. While continuity @ SS would be nice, it's not a fatal flaw. Part of the problem is that none of our SS prospects not name Ramirez, have taken the ball and made the grade (Lowrie in particular). Our best SS prospect was Hanley Ramirez, who was seen as Nomar's heir to the position. Whom we traded for Beckett & Lowell, a couple of key guys on our 2007 championship squad. In Drew they have a proven big league SS who's signed to a one year show me the money deal with the hopes that Iglesias continues to develop and finally make the jump in 2014.

That said, my biggest critsism of the franchise over the last tean years differs from yours. If we look at the current roster. My primary beef has to do with the dynamics that created the collapse of 2011 and nessesitated the purge of talant last year. Which I believe the genesis of began in the winter of 2006 with the infamous gorilla suit episode. Which began a power struggle within the organization between Epstein and Luccino and the dysfunction that was our teams leadership IMHO led to some very questionable personell moves...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't understand the. mentslity where you root against Stephen Drew brcause you did not like JD. They're different people.  I thought Mike Maddux was pretty bad in Boston.  Should I have been happy they never signed Greg?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No Red Sox fan is going to root against Drew.  We may have grossly overpaid for him, depending upon his health & productivity, but the vast majority will get behind him.  Anybody who starts out "rooting against" him, most certainly is not a Red Sox fan.  i.e. Softy.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't understand the. mentslity where you root against Stephen Drew brcause you did not like JD. They're different people.  I thought Mike Maddux was pretty bad in Boston.  Should I have been happy they never signed Greg?

[/QUOTE]

You cant hold one brother against the other.  Some brothers hate each other.  Some brothers fist fight.

Keith and Wayne Primeau

Eric and Brett Lindross

Side note: In both of those fights, the players involved had to face a very angry mom (which is kind of awesome, actually)

Side note: I honestly dont have anything against JD, and would argue that due to his production vs the avg production from RF during his first four years here, the RF market at the time (Gary Matthews Jr got 4/40!, the Soriano deal ruined the cubs), JD's defense, JDs postseason contributions: the signing was actually worth it.

Stephen Drew and LaRoche are VERY close friends.  Like thanksgiving dinner together friends.  Stephen Drew may be the difference between LaRoche taking a 2 yr deal from the Sox over a 2 yr deal from teh Nats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You cant hold one brother against the other.  Some brothers hate each other.  Some brothers fist fight.

Keith and Wayne Primeau

Eric and Brett Lindross

Side note: In both of those fights, the players both had to face a very angry mom (which is kind of awesome, actually)

Side note: I honestly dont have anything against JD, and would argue that due to his production vs the avg production from RF during his first four years here, the RF market at the time (Gary Matthews Jr got 4/40!, the Soriano deal ruined the cubs), JD's defense, JDs postseason contributions: the signing was actually worth it.

Stephen Drew and LaRoche are VERY close friends.  Like thanksgiving dinner together friends.  Stephen Drew may be the difference between LaRoche taking a 2 yr deal from the Sox over a 2 yr deal from teh Nats. 

[/QUOTE]

As far as LaRoche goes it may not be the years on the contract or even the money as the sole reason for signing, it may be that he wants a ring now and the Nationals are closer than the Sox in the near term.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.  And even if we walked from Naps, made LaRoche our #1 target, outbid the Nats, I would still say hes more than 50% likely to stay w the Nats.  He really likes it there.

Sometimes negotiations get emotional and players get frustrated; however.  Who knows.  The most likely scenario is that we get Naps and the Nats retain LaRoche, IMO.  I'd honestly be happy with either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The one year contract should give an indication that he is only a fill in until something better comes along. What I have been calling a 'Band Aid' type player. Players who just hold a spot until a younger, cheaper player can be found or developed.

Mark Loretta, Victor Martinez, David Wells, John Smoltz, Brad Penny , even Orlando Cabrera and Dave Roberts fit this description. Some pan out , most don't. Either way , I wouldn't run out and buy a Stephen Drew Red Sox jersey ,as he will not likely be around for more than the one year.

It's a business, not a sport.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The one year contract should give an indication that he is only a fill in until something better comes along. What I have been calling a 'Band Aid' type player. Players who just hold a spot until a younger, cheaper player can be found or developed.

Mark Loretta, Victor Martinez, David Wells, John Smoltz, Brad Penny , even Orlando Cabrera and Dave Roberts fit this description. Some pan out , most don't. Either way , I wouldn't run out and buy a Stephen Drew Red Sox jersey ,as he will not likely be around for more than the one year.

[/QUOTE]

Probably doesn't help that you hated JD Drew. And that's an understatement. I often wondered what he did to you personally, and I believe I may have asked you.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually it's a sport, that is a buisness...Drew's deal is not unlike the one they signed with Beltre. The win for the sox is for Drew to play so well that they're willing to offer him aribitration and are fine if he signs or walks. Thus ensuring that a draft pick is part of his compensation if they don't resign him...If he bombs or gewts injured they simply move on and wish him the best...With Ciriaco and Iglesias at the ready to man the position. Signing Drew comes with little risk...That's good buisness...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I also don't understand the mentality of rooting against a player because he is reserved or laid back, or because you think his contract is too big.  Then again, I'm pretty sure I have never rooted against any Red Sox player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

" I honestly dont have anything against JD, and would argue that due to his production vs the avg production from RF during his first four years here, the RF market at the time (Gary Matthews Jr got 4/40!, the Soriano deal ruined the cubs), JD's defense, JDs postseason contributions: the signing was actually worth it."

The last year of his deal was a complete bust, which is often the case with long term deals. But I agree with you.  IMO, the deal was worth it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

JD Drew was one of the most productive postseason hitters the Sox have ever had.  19 RBI in 28 postseason games for us.