Sticking up for each other-no team unity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from recdd2. Show recdd2's posts

Sticking up for each other-no team unity

One of the things tito said on his way out was how he was upset the players did not care for each other.  I thought Bobby V would bring that attitude into the clubhouse, but after last night's game it is clear this team has no fire and no sense of picking up each other.  I forget what inning it was, but Gentry took out Aviles on what was clearly a dirty slide (he threw his elbow into Aviles' groin).  Aside from the fact Bobby V did not even question the call, I was expecting that Gentry would get plunked the next time up.  Yet, he isnt and proceeds to get more hits.  It is absolutely abysmal that this team wont protect each other, except of course when their manager speaks the truth.  Gentry should have been drilled the next time up.  A dirty slide going unpunished shows this team is exactly as tito claimed they were...25 individuals, no team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Sticking up for each other-no team unity

Beltre, VMart, Scutaro, Lowrie for Gonzalez, Crawford, and Jenks  - 'nuf said.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What's Jenks and Crawford doing today?  Last year?

This was about team players

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I call BS.  Pedey didnt stick up for Youk?  This isnt about chemistry.  It's that the current team has 0 reliable starters, a terrible bullpen , and three good hitters (Pedey, AGON, Ortiz).

It's not a chemistry problem, its a talent problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Sticking up for each other-no team unity:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sticking up for each other-no team unity : Injured. Are you asking me if they intentionally got injured?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

He's saying that Scutaro and VMART were good clubhouse guys and he's 100% right.  Especially in VMART's case.  I'm not saying that we should have resigned VMART, but Andrew's got a point when he points out the irony in complaining about a lack of team unity after you let one of the humblest, likable guys in the entire league walk.

I agree with letting VMART walk (I knew he had too much wear and tear to be a full time catcher for the next four years, and he's overpaid as a DH).  But I also believe that team chemistry is overblown in baseball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Trade for Cocoa.  I actually met Eddie Delcarmen (Manny's brother) at a Sox game a couple years ago.  He said that Cocoa is one of the most down to earth guys in the world.

Also: I have a soft spot for anyone who is willing to throw a punch at James Shields.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The slide was very aggressive, but not dirty.  Not worth a retaliation plunk at all.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, was Andrew responding to the gist of the OP? The remarks were so cryptic that I never made the association that you made.  How those five players are linked to last night's game is indeed a stretch.                                       

Agreed.  I made the connection because of the title of the thread and the inclusion of VMART in the list. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wow

The OP brought into account team unity

I made the point that we lost good team players for poor ones

Where am I losing you?  Don't try and stretch this out.  It's quite simple and to the point.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A silly OP.  I don't like those takeout slides, but everybody does them and they are not a reason for starting a beanball war. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sticking up for each other-no team unity : Are you talking about "dirtdog" types like Trot Nixon and Pete Rose who will go to battle for you? That is what the OP was alluding to. It was about teammates who will back you up and be great, loyal teammates.  Your responses never gave anyone a hint that you were responding on the attitude of teammates. It was far from being obvious.

Are you kidding?  Surely you can't be this clueless.

Hint:  Read the initial post and you may gleen some insight as to the context of my post

Good Luck!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sticking up for each other-no team unity : Are you kidding?  Surely you can't be this clueless. Hint:  Read the initial post and you may gleen some insight as to the context of my post Good Luck!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I followed what you meant, but Crawford doesnt belong on your list.  He's actually a good clubhouse guy.  They threw him a party in TB.  It was hard for him to say anything last year because a) he was having a terrible season and b) it was his first year on the team.

I've heard, though, that he was shaking his head at the bull. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

"Don't ask me those questions, go ask the Captain" - Carl ".289 OPB" Crawford

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]"Don't ask me those questions, go ask the Captain" - Carl ".289 OPB" Crawford
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Out of context.  The quote was: "I dont know why you are staring here and watching me dress (directed at the media)...because after I'm dressed, Im going home.  If you want answers , go ask the Captain."

It was NOT a shot at VTEK.  It was a sincere: our Captain is taking questions right now, and i dont feel like talking.  Well, the comments got back to VTEK, and they wound up fist bumping over it.

VTEK and Crawford are boys.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/14331/ask-the-captain-revisited

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Right, he don't feel like talking. Go ask Tek and leave me alone. 

If you want to help me out, go tell Francona that I should be batting second and he should ingore my 289 OBP thank you very much

And if you keep on bugging me I won't join the team until the All Star Break Next year; I want to be sure we are 10 games out of the Wild Card race before I take another AB for Boston.  I still get paid, right?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

i don't think anybody on here knows what goes on in the clubhouse and who is and who is not a good teammate.  With the exception of the obvious people that every media person can provide quotes from other players describing how bad they are in the clubhouse, nobody really knows.  Supposedly everybody loved john lackey, but many fans thought he was a problem...people say carl crawford works harder than anybody in the game...couldn't that be a form of leadership(lead by example).  If the media, who really don't know as much as they pretend to(recycle the same garbage/stories), are the only source of determining who are good clubhouse guys, than I wouldn't look too much into it.  Unless your with these guys 24/7, like all the team members, the reality is nobody has a clue about most of these guys.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts