Still no news on Clay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Still no news on Clay?

This can't be a good sign if he had another practice session and we still don't have any positive news or talk of a possible return date. 

Anyone else hear anything?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Still no news on Clay?

I heard the session went well and that he'll be back in 3 weeks.  Of course, w/ Clay's progress I'll believe it when I see it.

The bright side is that The Sox have been in first place and are now going to acquire TWO top of rotation guys - Lester and Buck. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Still no news on Clay?:
    This can't be a good sign if he had another practice session and we still don't have any positive news or talk of a possible return date.  Anyone else hear anything?
    Posted by craze4sox

He threw in the pen yesterday all was good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

BTW, any word on Youkilis?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay?:
    I heard the session went well and that he'll be back in 3 weeks.  Of course, w/ Clay's progress I'll believe it when I see it. The bright side is that The Sox have been in first place and are now going to acquire TWO top of rotation guys - Lester and Buck. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

Thanks andrewmitch, you're right about being in a great position despite the injuries but Theo may be wise to cover his back before the deadline anyway.  Lackey and Miller probably won't be the best choices in the PS if one goes down.  As much as I like Wake, we all know he has struggled badly in PS play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

-Brian MacPherson
    Clay Buchholz exchanges a fist bump with Curt Young after the end of what looked like a successful bullpen session.

-alexspeier Alex Speier
    Buchholz said he threw 30 pitches; felt about at 80% of full health, as opposed to 30% in last bullpen in Philly.
    8 minutes ago

-alexspeier Alex Speier
    Described this as his 'biggest step in right direction.' Said he was able to stretch and shake off minor post-bullpen soreness
    8 minutes ago

-alexspeier Alex Speier
    Anticipates another bullpen, then perhaps live hitters followed by a couple rehab starts. Mentioned mid-Aug. Or Sept. return possibility.
    7 minutes ago

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

-Brian MacPherson Clay Buchholz exchanges a fist bump with Curt Young after the end of what looked like a successful bullpen session. -alexspeier Alex Speier Buchholz said he threw 30 pitches; felt about at 80% of full health, as opposed to 30% in last bullpen in Philly. 8 minutes ago -alexspeier Alex Speier Described this as his 'biggest step in right direction.' Said he was able to stretch and shake off minor post-bullpen soreness 8 minutes ago -alexspeier Alex Speier Anticipates another bullpen, then perhaps live hitters followed by a couple rehab starts. Mentioned mid-Aug. Or Sept. return possibility. 7 minutes ago
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Thanks zac

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Youkilis pulled a hamstring.  So not sure long he will be out.  Good thing he is a 3B, not an OF where he could miss less games than a OF!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay? : Thanks andrewmitch, you're right about being in a great position despite the injuries but Theo may be wise to cover his back before the deadline anyway.  Lackey and Miller probably won't be the best choices in the PS if one goes down.  As much as I like Wake, we all know he has struggled badly in PS play.
    Posted by craze4sox

Another quality starter would be a good idea and Plan B would be a quality reliever.  All Theo needs to do is add one new guy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

My guess is he's out for the next 2 games but can't pinch hit.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Not sure whats going on with these ongoing nagging injuries to our club.  Someone may want to rethink how these guy prepare for a game.  I played a lot of ball in my lifetime and any coach I ever had made sure we did the proper stretches, bends etc. before taking the field.  I'm not saying our club doesn't but hamstrings don't happen very easily and we have already seen Carl and Youk go down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

go back to last weeks postings. Many of us were crying out for Agon and Youk to back to back DH/day off due to the all star game/derby/cross country travel. These nagging injuries happen to a tired body.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Youk landed improperly on the bag - no preparation could have avoided that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Youk landed improperly on the bag - no preparation could have avoided that
    Posted by andrewmitch

Hopefull it's a minor thing and he can get back ASAP.  God knows a couple days rest won't be a bad thing for Youk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

go back to last weeks postings. Many of us were crying out for Agon and Youk to back to back DH/day off due to the all star game/derby/cross country travel. These nagging injuries happen to a tired body.  
    Posted by rkarp

I missed that post rkarp but agree

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is strictly conjecture on my part, but I believe that Clay's problem is much more mental than physical. It just does not make any sense to me that he can throw flat-footed with no problem, but put him 10 inches up, and he has discomfort. The doctors can't seem to find anything physically wrong either.
    I really don't see him coming back at all this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Time to teach these guys how to stretch like this:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiIWVZUhwmo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

This is strictly conjecture on my part, but I believe that Clay's problem is much more mental than physical. It just does not make any sense to me that he can throw flat-footed with no problem, but put him 10 inches up, and he has discomfort. The doctors can't seem to find anything physically wrong either. I really don't see him coming back at all this year.
    Posted by Alibiike

I hope that you are wrong about this.  The Red Sox really need him.  If Buchholz doesn't come back this season, the Red Sox really need another pitcher.  Besides Beckett and Lester, I don't have confidence that Lackey or the others can be relied upon in the playoffs. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Alibiike, that is sheer conjecture.  Read the interviews, which do not at all sound like a mental block.  He is eager to get back and frustrated by a back problem.  Period.  Yesterday he pitched with little pain and expects to do the same tomorrow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This is strictly conjecture on my part, but I believe that Clay's problem is much more mental than physical. It just does not make any sense to me that he can throw flat-footed with no problem, but put him 10 inches up, and he has discomfort. The doctors can't seem to find anything physically wrong either. I really don't see him coming back at all this year.
    Posted by Alibiike

C'mon Ike.  I thought you were a baseball player yourself at one time.  The strain on the lower back that those ten inches make is huge.  If you've ever thrown a ball with a full delivery off of a mound, you would never conjecture as you do in this post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay? : C'mon Ike.  I thought you were a baseball player yourself at one time.  The strain on the lower back that those ten inches make is huge.  If you've ever thrown a ball with a full delivery off of a mound, you would never conjecture as you do in this post.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

If it is purely physical, and if it is his lower back, this will not go away. Lower back problems tend to be chronic, and we will most likely never see him 100% healthy.
    However, even the coaching staff find it baffling that he has not made much progress since he went down. I wouldn't rule out that could be pychosomatic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay? : I hope that you are wrong about this.  The Red Sox really need him.  If Buchholz doesn't come back this season, the Red Sox really need another pitcher.  Besides Beckett and Lester, I don't have confidence that Lackey or the others can be relied upon in the playoffs. 
    Posted by susan250

susan,

I think we all feel the same, no Lackey in the PS as a starter or in relief.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay? : If it is purely physical, and if it is his lower back, this will not go away. Lower back problems tend to be chronic, and we will most likely never see him 100% healthy. However, even the coaching staff find it baffling that he has not made much progress since he went down. I wouldn't rule out that could be pychosomatic.
    Posted by Alibiike

Alibiike, Buchholz is a young guy I'm sure he will recover well and I doubt it's mental.  Lower back strains and spasms take time to mend but Sox management are probably just playing it safe.  Clay is an important part of our PS rotation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay? : If it is purely physical, and if it is his lower back, this will not go away. Lower back problems tend to be chronic, and we will most likely never see him 100% healthy. However, even the coaching staff find it baffling that he has not made much progress since he went down. I wouldn't rule out that could be pychosomatic.
    Posted by Alibiike

Fair enough, especially given Clay's pre-2010 psychological issues.  And, yes, back pain will not go away.  in fact, he pitched (effectively I might add) with it for much of the second half last year.  

However, I don't get the lack of progress angle.  Reports are that he is looking good and ready to get some rehab starts ...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Still no news on Clay? :  Fair enough, especially given Clay's pre-2010 psychological issues.  And, yes, back pain will not go away.  in fact, he pitched (effectively I might add) with it for much of the second half last year.   However, I don't get the lack of progress angle.  Reports are that he is looking good and ready to get some rehab starts ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I may have been mis-informed by listening to Remy and Don, but they gave me the impression that Francona was not exactly sure why Buch is still having issues.
    I hope I am wrong cause we certainly need him down the stretch. I will say that Miller has much promise filling in and I hope he remains in the rotation......just needs to work on his control.

Sections
Shortcuts