stirring the pot....just a little

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

stirring the pot....just a little

Hypothetically speaking, had Dice-K caught Callaspo’s hot line drive that almost took his head off in the 2nd inning, and had gone 8 innings with no hits, would Tito have sent him out for the 9th having already thrown 115 pitches? (duh)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: stirring the pot....just a little

For Dice to get a no-no? All of Japan would have attacked Boston and raided Titos house if he didnt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was impressed by Dice's reflexes on that missile - if it were Wake we would be having a wake as we speak...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

He would have gone out for a few reasons.  One, it was a no-hitter.  Two, he would have probably had fewer pitches as he would have faced one less batter that inning.  And three, with the off day tomorrow, he would have gotten 5 days rest anyway.  And can you imagine Varitek with his 5th caught no-hitter?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Crazy fast reflexes saved him.  What impressed me is how he pitched after that play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

from the get go I have never given up on DiceK. to see him turning it on is giving me great satisfaction. to see beckett with an era under 2 is unbelieveble.
    now if mr. lackey comes out firing and we get the sweep of the angels, the pot will be quite empty for those that wish to stir it are concerned. and what cracks me up is that we are still in april. talk about a turn around eh?

Keep kicking azz Red Sox!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: stirring the pot....just a little:
    [QUOTE]He would have gone out for a few reasons.  One, it was a no-hitter.  Two, he would have probably had fewer pitches as he would have faced one less batter that inning.  And three, with the off day tomorrow, he would have gotten 5 days rest anyway.  And can you imagine Varitek with his 5th caught no-hitter?
    Posted by fizsh

Yup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]i was impressed by Dice's reflexes on that missile - if it were Wake we would be having a wake as we speak...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I'm impressed that you're impressed positively about anything!  Good for you!

Excellent game(s), Matsuzaka-san!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]from the get go I have never given up on DiceK. to see him turning it on is giving me great satisfaction. to see beckett with an era under 2 is unbelieveble. now if mr. lackey comes out firing and we get the sweep of the angels, the pot will be quite empty for those that wish to stir it are concerned. and what cracks me up is that we are still in april. talk about a turn around eh? Keep kicking azz Red Sox!!!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Congrats, Hammah!  :o)  Keep calling 'em. 

Yahooooooooo!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yup.  115 isn't a killer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

let's "bump" up the volume nation of the faithful...............

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seriously, dice k was cracy cat quick on the liner and anyone else wouldve been in the hospital or morgue (Wake)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Can you imagine if Varitek was squatting behind the plate when DiceK throws a no-hitter? Yep, as well as imagining scads of other catchers who might be back there as well.

If the game was well in control, and DiceK said he felt good and was not laboring and still had good form on his pitching motion, of course you leave him in. It should never be about pitch count. It's about whether a pitcher still has a good throwing motion and shows no signs of fatigue that might cause an arm or shoulder injury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh my word, can you imagine the outcry had Tito sent Dice back out for the no-no and Matsuzaka wrecked his arm on pitch No. 130? I'm not one for stretching the limit on a pitcher's arm just to get a no-hitter, especially on April 23.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

LMAO, stretching the limit.   Especially on April 23??   Would it be alright on 4/24? or maybe 5/1?? Just when would it be alright to "stretch the limit?"
    There will be games in August where a pitcher won't be as effective or as strong as he was in April. Each and every pitcher is different, and to use the same limit on all of them is nonsense. I'm surprised they don't start counting, between inning, warmups as actual pitches toward the "100".
    Maybe they should start counting by the inning, and if a pitcher throws more than 12 in an inning he gets removed.  Maybe they could take him out if he throws more than 6 to a batter.
    Why not simply stay in the clubhouse and send the order to take him out when he reaches the magic 100, no matter the situation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Yes he would have left him in.  You also have to factor in the pitches he threw to the next batter... so he wouldn't have quite been at 115 pitches.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

I just enjoy the games. It is a shame that many here can't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]LMAO, stretching the limit.   Especially on April 23??   Would it be alright on 4/24? or maybe 5/1?? Just when would it be alright to "stretch the limit?" There will be games in August where a pitcher won't be as effective or as strong as he was in April. Each and every pitcher is different, and to use the same limit on all of them is nonsense. I'm surprised they don't start counting, between inning, warmups as actual pitches toward the "100". Maybe they should start counting by the inning, and if a pitcher throws more than 12 in an inning he gets removed.  Maybe they could take him out if he throws more than 6 to a batter. Why not simply stay in the clubhouse and send the order to take him out when he reaches the magic 100, no matter the situation.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

"LMAO", '41? Are you sure you weren't ROTFL? Or maybe just LOL?

By "stretch the limit," I didn't mean his pitch limit. I have no idea what Matsuzaka's pitch limit is. I meant the limit on possibly wearing out his arm, which has had issues in the not-so-distant (as in, each of the last two years) past.

Finally, "no matter the situation" is precisely the point. It was a 5-0 game on April 23 -- in other words, in the first of a six-month season. And only his fourth of what hopefully will be 35 starts.

I couldn't care less whether Daisuke Matsuzaka pitches a no-hitter or not. I'd far rather him win 18 games in the regular season and maybe five more in the postseason.