STOP Complaining about Official Scorer's Decisions David Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

STOP Complaining about Official Scorer's Decisions David Ortiz

Stop it already. He did it again yesterday. What a whiner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: STOP Complaining about Official Scorer's Decisions David Ortiz

When your contract is based on stats and you are a full-time DH, every hit counts as he said. Stop complaining about Ortiz complaining. He has every right to, especially since a few times he's asked the scorekeepers indeed overturned their original decisions. I score games, it's not always black and white. Sometimes you need to look at the range of the fielder and the speed of the runner and a lot of factors come into play before you just say "E."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

A lot of novices, think a ball hits your glove, it's an error. A guy hits a screaming liner, it can touch your glove and still be a hit. It's based on if you are in front of the ball, or if you are ranging to your right or left. Again, it's not just a simple call when someone rules H or E. Some scorekeepers are terribly hard on the fielder, some are soft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

It was a hit, not an error. Remy remarked it was a hit before it was officially ruled on, and was more than surprised when it was. Whether you like or don't like the "whiner", Ortiz is right, again. Mauer did everything he could, and it clanked off his glove. Had his dived for the ball and not made contact, it would have been ruled a hit, as it should have been anyway, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, it just wouldn't be right if we went to long with out something to b*%ch about David Ortiz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

God only knows just how much I love big Papi!  My dog is names Papi for God's sake!

Having said that.......   LOL

When I saw the play where the 1st baseman booted that ball that Papi had initially given up on, then speeds up a bit, beating out a play at 1st......  I was quite sure the official scorer would call it an error, & I was equally sure Papi would have a big problem with it.

Come on Papi!   I want to see that same passion over leading this group of paper tigers at the plate out of this 1/2 year hitting hiatus!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

It was a hit, not an error. Remy remarked it was a hit before it was officially ruled on, and was more than surprised when it was. Whether you like or don't like the "whiner", Ortiz is right, again. Mauer did everything he could, and it clanked off his glove. Had his dived for the ball and not made contact, it would have been ruled a hit, as it should have been anyway, IMO.

ha! if Bill was here he would have said "TRUE DAT"........lol........it was a hit J.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

First..regardless of whether it was a hit or an error..the way Ortiz handled it publicly and during the game was plain poor. Giving a thumbs down and yelling at the scorekeeper in the middle of a 0-0 game?

Second, nowhere in the interview or the subsequent article did I see any evidence that the team is unhappy with their scorekeeper. I think this is a problem that only exists in the mind of one player.

It's hard to believe the scorekeeper would not give the benefit of the doubt to the home team..but maybe he was reacting to the fact that Ortiz gave up early on..evidence that even Ortiz must have thought it was an easily fielded ball.

In any event..I get why he whines about these things. His paycheck depends on it. I just don't agree with him showing..again..poor sportsmanship in the middle of the game.

BTW....how about that walk-off HR by Napoli? What's not to love about this guy????? This..and Lackey's awesome pitching should be the post game conversation..but yet again...we have to hear about how people are supposed to have Ortiz' back and show him respect...As possibly the most coddled professional sports player in the history of Boston..I would say he has plenty of both.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Most Coddled Professional Athlete in Boston sports history? Carl Crawford

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Crawful was stroked, coddled, given free rubdowns, allowed to cry and moan while making twice what Ortiz was making...And he did virtually nothing for the team. An all-time Albatross and then when his time was done he cried like a baby to the Los Angeles media about his horrible treatment by fans and media...oh the racism...

As for Ortiz, 3 WS titles and the best power hitter on the team at age 38.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Crawful was stroked, coddled, given free rubdowns, allowed to cry and moan while making twice what Ortiz was making...And he did virtually nothing for the team. An all-time Albatross and then when his time was done he cried like a baby to the Los Angeles media about his horrible treatment by fans and media...oh the racism...

Crawful was no doubt coddled by the RS..but Ortiz is coddled by the RS, fans and media. It is the trifecta of coddling...lol

...and while I completely agree that he is the best power hitter on the team..and I want him in the lineup regardless...he didn't win those WS rings by himself. It was a team effort.

In his post game interview...did Ortiz say one thing about the walkoff by Naps..? One thing about Lackey's phenomenal pitching? Or was it all about how once again...Papi was disrespected man..?

Listen..as I have said countless times..I like the guy..but I don't like the poor sport attitude when things don't go his way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I tuned on weei this morning at 6:05 and they were already into this discussion.  I thought they were talking about a month ago.  NESN did their best to hide Ortiz's pointing during the game and I did not listen to much post game talk.

I listened to weei and then 98.5.  I must have been Ortized because I really don't care about his rants.  According to Merloni, who thinks it was a hit, Ortiz called over the reporters this time and started the rants. I don't think it was a hit because diving is such a part of the game.  The last time this happened, all the ortiz supporters pointed out that no one touched the ball.  This time someone did touch the ball.

Great game and I like how Nap corrected the young reported and said it wasn't it wasn't Lackey who he picked up but Uehara.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Crawful was no doubt coddled by the RS..but Ortiz is coddled by the RS, fans and media. It is the trifecta of coddling...lol

...and while I completely agree that he is the best power hitter on the team..and I want him in the lineup regardless...he didn't win those WS rings by himself. It was a team effort.

In his post game interview...did Ortiz say one thing about the walkoff by Naps..? One thing about Lackey's phenomenal pitching? Or was it all about how once again...Papi was disrespected man..?

Listen..as I have said countless times..I like the guy..but I don't like the poor sport attitude when things don't go his way.

Actually, miscrickets, he did. I'm not sure what you were watching, and what portion of the interview was chosen to be aired, but on NECN bostoncomcastsports, he did. Added while the offense has been struggling and was the entire 3 game series, they managed to sweep and hoped the walkoff by Naps would be the start of turning things around on the upcoming road trip.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Actually, miscrickets, he did. I'm not sure what you were watching, and what portion of the interview was chosen to be aired, but on NECN bostoncomcastsports, he did. Added while the offense has been struggling and was the entire 3 game series, they managed to sweep and hoped the walkoff by Naps would be the start of turning things around on the upcoming road trip.

Okay..thanks. That is why I asked. I heard a clip which I was pretty sure was not the entire interview!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Well, it just wouldn't be right if we went to long with out something to b*%ch about David Ortiz.

he only hit the game tying HR.  why didn't he also hit the gamewinning HR???????  i think his heel must be injured or fat, slow, lazy?

other names i have posted under:  none

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Maybe he gets extra money in his contract for number of hits or AVE. What would you do? I mean other the being a whiner on here.  Stop it already !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Amazing the lack of gratitude some fans have for Ortiz...In 2008, I said that he was protected by Manny all those years and then Bay for one year, and that he could be exposed with no one behind him...Instead he proved beyond a shadow of doubt he was the bomb, was the show, and could help the team win a WS title as the premier power hitter on the team. Ortiz may be the greatest Red Sox icon of them all--3 WS titles. Ruth? Yaz? Williams? Manny?Clemens? Rice? Pedro?...yeah, Big Papi may have passed all of them. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Don't you just hate complainers?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Amazing the lack of gratitude some fans have for Ortiz...In 2008, I said that he was protected by Manny all those years and then Bay for one year, and that he could be exposed with no one behind him...Instead he proved beyond a shadow of doubt he was the bomb, was the show, and could help the team win a WS title as the premier power hitter on the team. Ortiz may be the greatest Red Sox icon of them all--3 WS titles. Ruth? Yaz? Williams? Manny?Clemens? Rice? Pedro?...yeah, Big Papi may have passed all of them. 

How is criticizing his poor sportsmanship equated with a "lack of gratitude"?  Are you telling me that because he is a great talent that he should automatically be given a free pass whenever he behaves badly? Let me know how that turns out in any other situation.

As far as the comparisons to some of the Sox all time greats? I think he may be up there..but there is no way I put him above Yaz orWilliams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

How is criticizing his poor sportsmanship equated with a "lack of gratitude"?  Are you telling me that because he is a great talent that he should automatically be given a free pass whenever he behaves badly? Let me know how that turns out in any other situation.

As far as the comparisons to some of the Sox all time greats? I think he may be up there..but there is no way I put him above Yaz orWilliams.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thats just it miscricket.  Its the reassigning of intention with the big man that is lack of gratitude.  David is a businessman, which I don't understand how all the American Way Love America folk in here would have a problem with that.  But, I digress.  He is a businessman in a lucrative business.  How much money he makes depends on silly things like how many hits he has.  The fact that he wears his business side on his sleeve and doesnt keep it on the down low riles people up.  I get it.  I find it less than classy myself.  But, that is not the same thing at all as poor sportsmanship.

Now if you wanna talk bat flips or slow HR trots, thats something else.  But how David handles his money business just doesnt have to do with his baseball playing at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

One of your best posts, Space. Great analysis. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I really think his bat flips and long looks and the way he admires the baseball is just Big Papi being Big Papi. He's done it his whole career and since he hits so many majestic bombs, I think he is a pretty good judge of if the ball has left the building. Puig and some of the youngsters out there, they do it when the ball hasn't even 1-hopped the fence, and that's why in those cases and with players like that, it becomes a case of being a little too show man-like.  Big Papi is Sinatra. He's the show.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I really think his bat flips and long looks and the way he admires the baseball is just Big Papi being Big Papi. He's done it his whole career and since he hits so many majestic bombs, I think he is a pretty good judge of if the ball has left the building. Puig and some of the youngsters out there, they do it when the ball hasn't even 1-hopped the fence, and that's why in those cases and with players like that, it becomes a case of being a little too show man-like.  Big Papi is Sinatra. He's the show.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly.  Papi is Sinatra.  Love it.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

When your contract is based on stats and you are a full-time DH, every hit counts as he said. Stop complaining about Ortiz complaining. He has every right to, especially since a few times he's asked the scorekeepers indeed overturned their original decisions. I score games, it's not always black and white. Sometimes you need to look at the range of the fielder and the speed of the runner and a lot of factors come into play before you just say "E."

I think the point is that Ortiz is kinda a b1tch.

Not that it makes him a bad guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:

I think the point is that Ortiz is kinda a b1tch.

Not that it makes him a bad guy.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think the point is that people who point to Ortiz' admittedly b1tchy isms are missing the forest for the trees.

Sections
Shortcuts