Stop the over reaction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Stop the over reaction

Folks yes no one saw the RS coming even every fan on this forum never mind ESPN or any MLB experts or commentators. Stop the foolish predictions or thoughts of 100 wins. Stop all of the gloating. 

We are still a long way from the end. Better teams on paper have fallen apart after the AS break. We are way to familiar with August failuresfromourteam never mind others who have had the same ending.

For once just sit back and enjoy the rest of the season.

just because Uncle Ben & uncle John brought us the best banana split in the first half does not mean we will get the same the second half. You might just have to appreciate a vanilla kiddie cone the second half. So keep the expectations in check. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Stop the over reaction

I'm not sure how talking of 100 wins somehow interferes with sitting back and enjoying the ride.

I do think posters tend to over-react during hot or cold streaks, but it kind of irks me a little when people assume some of us are not enjoying the season, just because we...

1) are critical of some aspects of our team

2) are into stats and metrics and trends in numbers

3) are wanting to make adjustments to our roster to better our chances now and in the future

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not sure how talking of 100 wins somehow interferes with sitting back and enjoying the ride.

I do think posters tend to over-react during hot or cold streaks, but it kind of irks me a little when people assume some of us are not enjoying the season, just because we...

3) are wanting to make adjustments to our roster to better our chances now and in the future

Sox4ever

As you know, and I think  Jim was getting at this:

1. There's a difference between honest criticism or concerns and mindless bashing based on nothin but the desire to bash.

2. There's nothing wrong with being into stats and advanced metrics, but at times I feel some fans ignore the human element that's involved and important and cherry-picking stats in futile attempts to back up a mindless bashing.

3. There's nothing wrong with wanting to find ways to improve the team, but again, it's the extreme that some posters go to or the ideas that are so far from reality that the ignorance behind it is mindboggling.

There's a difference in talking/dreaming about 100 wins when the team is going hot and the next-step some posters take in framing it as a likelihood -- the same posters who will look at one losing streak or one lost series (or even game) and extrapolate into a losing record.

I don't want to put words into Jim's mouth, but I think his main point -- or at least my point would be -- is that too many fans get too caught up in the moment (good or bad moments) and don't sit back and enjoy the process. The baseball season is a long season and I think some fans in their effort to anaylize the moment lose the overall enjoyment of the season.

Just my opinion anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would never slander my uncles by comparing them to Ben and John.

Just because I like Red Sox baseball doesn't mean I have to "adopt" the front office and owners as "family", "friends" or anything close to it. They ar doing a job, trying to separate people from their money, and doing a damn good job of it!

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Didn't know where to put this but last night's game was a brilliant display of great baseball by the Sox. The Angels have a killer lineup but Doubront was superb. Then the pen (Breslow, Tazawa and Uehara) was terrific. Two miscues by the Angels cost them a couple of runs, but the Sox defense was rock-solid, especially when Pedroia turned the double play with Trout ready to knock him into the left field seats. Finally, Bravo to Farrell! Every move worked, especially the Ortiz pinch Dinger. Sweet victory!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

3) are wanting to make adjustments to our roster to better our chances now and in the future.

This is what I'm interested in. I'm not interested in overpaying or selling the farm for anyone. Big bets on single players often go wrong.

But I like the idea of taking a look at young talent and keeping our eyes open for opportunities at the deadline that might help us this season or in the future. If a deal falls thru for someone else, there's no telling what might open up for us five minutes before the deadline ...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I would never slander my uncles by comparing them to Ben and John.

Just because I like Red Sox baseball doesn't mean I have to "adopt" the front office and owners as "family", "friends" or anything close to it. They ar doing a job, trying to separate people from their money, and doing a damn good job of it!

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

Good post and yur spot on,it's an unfortunate reallity in sports nowadays just gotta love the jersey and where it comes from,and the fact that people come from around the world to watch this team play in your great city and your great ballpark is testimony of the love for this truly great franchise,GO SOX GO from Nova Scotia !!!!!!!!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

As you know, and I think  Jim was getting at this:

1. There's a difference between honest criticism or concerns and mindless bashing based on nothin but the desire to bash.

Agreed. There's far too much of that on this site.

2. There's nothing wrong with being into stats and advanced metrics, but at times I feel some fans ignore the human element that's involved and important and cherry-picking stats in futile attempts to back up a mindless bashing.

I have been accused of ignoring the human element, because I back my positions up with data. Sometimes appearances may not equal reality, We don't really know each other that well here.

3. There's nothing wrong with wanting to find ways to improve the team, but again, it's the extreme that some posters go to or the ideas that are so far from reality that the ignorance behind it is mindboggling.

I love the, let's trade Bailey, Hanrahan and Bard for some player on a team looking to rebuild. Cracks me up everytime.

There's a difference in talking/dreaming about 100 wins when the team is going hot and the next-step some posters take in framing it as a likelihood -- the same posters who will look at one losing streak or one lost series (or even game) and extrapolate into a losing record.

Agreed, but I don't see how a poster thinking we may win 100 is somehow not enjoying the game as much because of that. (I guess if we lose...)

I don't want to put words into Jim's mouth, but I think his main point -- or at least my point would be -- is that too many fans get too caught up in the moment (good or bad moments) and don't sit back and enjoy the process. The baseball season is a long season and I think some fans in their effort to anaylize the moment lose the overall enjoyment of the season.

I've always tried to be even keeled through good and bad streaks. I hate the use of tiny sample sizes to make definitive judgements. It's the one thing that bugs me most on this site. softy is the master, but others jump on and off the bandwagon so much, their knees must be bloodied.

Just my opinion anyway.

And, fair ones at that.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

A forum will never be perfect...I'm a fan of strong opinions and discussion but then also enjoying game by game how a season unfolds, knowing my opinions may well shift. I thought the starting pitching was going to be pretty rough. I guess I was a bit right about Lester and Buch not being true #1 and #2 guys, but when you have Lackey upping his game so much and other guys like Dempster and Doubront giving you quality starts, you are legit. 

Team is good and I like the close wins the best. It's not a team I love yet, but that may come. It's a team I am really enjoying watching. 

In my view this forum has been a lot better of late, thanks to all, I don't always have time to contribute but enjoying the baseball content. The absence of softy has helped a lot, pike seems baffled by such on topic conversations and Bill 806 is doing his best to get along. This is the best of the three forums on BDC at the moment that I visit. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I'm not sure how talking of 100 wins somehow interferes with sitting back and enjoying the ride.---  Never said this

I do think posters tend to over-react during hot or cold streaks, Got this right

but it kind of irks me a little when people assume some of us are not enjoying the season, just because we...  Never said this

1) are critical of some aspects of our team   Never said this

2) are into stats and metrics and trends in numbers  Never said this

3) are wanting to make adjustments to our roster to better our chances now and in the future  Never said this

Sox4ever

MOON you missed the point and IMHO took it a bit personal I think????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Agree that even the mere metion of the 100 wins is assinine at this point. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to cedarwood's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I got banned last night for praising joe Breidy as being a great poster. Why?????

Unbelievable. Last night I listed all of the reasons why I like Joe Breidy as one of the best posters on the forum and the thread was deleted and I was banned in a matter of minutes. Who is in charge here when it comes to deleting threads and banning posters?  Address your questions to Hanafin@boston.com. My guess is that someone has stolen the email address and password of Teresa Hanafin and is bnning posters for no reason.

What in the world was evil or wrong with me praising Joe Breidy as a poster. I also like Notin and  Kimmi as posters. Does that also deserve a banning?  What do you think about this J-Bay?

Hanifin@Boston.com. Put a stop to the indiscriminate banning of posters that speak the truth and annoy J-Bay. The forum needs more Sox fans.

If this thread gets deleted within minutes then you can blame it on J-Bay or Teresa. Shame on you J-Bay for your actions.

[/QUOTE]

Reported, Pike. PLEASE stop posting your nonsense on several threads at once. It ruins the forum.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

nothing on TV eh pike?

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

I got banned last night for praising joe Breidy as being a great poster. Why?????

Unbelievable. Last night I listed all of the reasons why I like Joe Breidy as one of the best posters on the forum and the thread was deleted and I was banned in a matter of minutes. Who is in charge here when it comes to deleting threads and banning posters?  Address your questions to Hanafin@boston.com. My guess is that someone has stolen the email address and password of Teresa Hanafin and is bnning posters for no reason.

What in the world was evil or wrong with me praising Joe Breidy as a poster. I also like Notin and  Kimmi as posters. Does that also deserve a banning?  What do you think about this J-Bay?

Hanifin@Boston.com. Put a stop to the indiscriminate banning of posters that speak the truth and annoy J-Bay. The forum needs more Sox fans.

If this thread gets deleted within minutes then you can blame it on J-Bay or Teresa. Shame on you J-Bay for your actions.

[/QUOTE]

Pike is there some drunken reason you keep using my posts as a platform to rouse your rabble?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm not sure how talking of 100 wins somehow interferes with sitting back and enjoying the ride.---  Never said this

I do think posters tend to over-react during hot or cold streaks, Got this right

but it kind of irks me a little when people assume some of us are not enjoying the season, just because we...  Never said this

1) are critical of some aspects of our team   Never said this

2) are into stats and metrics and trends in numbers  Never said this

3) are wanting to make adjustments to our roster to better our chances now and in the future  Never said this

Sox4ever

MOON you missed the point and IMHO took it a bit personal I think????

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Jim. I have never had a beef with you. I get where you are coming from and did take it too personally.

I have been accused by others of being too much into data and numbers (not you) to enjoy the game or see the human side of baseball. 

I was really trying to piggyback off your statement, but it sounded like I was calling you out. Sorry for that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Heres something thatll curb some enthusiasm. Lets say that somehow the Sox lose tonight. You then have Jared Weaver Sunday. When you get to Seattle you run into King Felix and Iwakuma  the first two games. Could be looking at a four game losing streak then. West coast trips have gone worse. Curb your enthusiasm til after the trip is over.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Heres something thatll curb some enthusiasm. Lets say that somehow the Sox lose tonight. You then have Jared Weaver Sunday. When you get to Seattle you run into King Felix and Iwakuma  the first two games. Could be looking at a four game losing streak then. West coast trips have gone worse. Curb your enthusiasm til after the trip is over.

Thats the spirit!

Seriously, this team is on a roll. Sure they could lose four in a row. but I wouldn't bet on it. The Angels have Weaver; we have Lackey. Good matchup; even at worst. Seattle has the second worse pen in the league. If we can wear down Felix and Iwakuma we can win there too.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pike is there some drunken reason you keep using my posts as a platform to rouse your rabble?

[/QUOTE]

I was addressing both Teresa and J-Bay. Why are you taking this personally. Is Examiner also J-Bay. Who would ever expect that?

[/QUOTE]

Pike, I dont care enough about anything you say to take it "personally". My question addresses your insanity more than any personal feeling you hope to evoke in me.