Success yet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Success yet?

I know there is a given among some of us on this board, and for many in life.  We just cannot enjoy a thing without knocking it down or dragging it through some mud (which, admittedly, can really be fun .... playing in the mud, that is{your imaginations engage here}).  Heck, I know some of us cannot enjoy anything, no matter how well things are going.  So I realize for you, even winning the World Series won't be enough.  You will surely say that there isn't a chance we won't do it again next year ... but fast forwarding to this time next year and being on the verge of another WS crown, you won't be happy, even if we do repeat.  You will only be sure to point out we won't "3peat."  But, eliminating that helpless and sad crowd ...

Is this season a success yet?

I want to win the World Series and am surprisingly sure this team is more than capable in doing just that.

OBF says we have to win at least one post season game to make it a real success.  And a part of me agrees with him that it would leave a bad taste if we were swept out of the PS.

But from Hellhouse, Bobby's Broken Experiment, last place 69 win season ... to this entire improbable but incredibly enjoyable season and team ...

even in Boston ... cannot we say this has been a success?

Congrats, Boston Red Sox, American League East Division Champions!!!!

during a bridge year, no less...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Success yet?

As someone (4b's?  Max?) said a week or so ago and it should be his tag line, "Some people just want to be first in the, 'I told you so', line. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This season was a success as soon Jon Lester through the first pitch on opening day. Because that means baseball was back.

Of course I want the team to do well and don't like seasons like last year. But I love baseball and the Red Sox, so even in a bad year, I'm going to try to find something/someone to enjoy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Hello ol friend, It was a season of Joy. Baseball is a fasinating game, everyone starts even and you never ever know who will progress to the top. Through the bad and the recent wonderful years, it matters not how they finish but the joy of what they brought us!

Accepting losing occasionally makes celebrating winning that much better!

You started a thread before the start of the season on what pitchers records may end up being. i have been trying to find it with out success. Do you have access to it?

I dont like facts, they cloud my irresponsible Judgement!

I often go back to read what i wrote only to find out it's not what I said!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Nope, not for a near 200 million budget. Not yet. We'll see.

The Sox' payroll is nowhere near 200m, it's much closer to 150m.....your lying is so ridiculous and transparent yet you can't/won't stop it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Inasmuch as the team achieved far more than I ever expected, its a success-and I expect that with our farm system producing pitchers with a high ceiling our future is also bright. However, I am greedy. I want a ring!

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

According to Cots the Sox 2013 OD payroll was 155m plus 4m to the Dodgers.  Add a bit for Peavy and you still look ridiculous.  Imagine that......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

This season was a success as soon Jon Lester through the first pitch on opening day. Because that means baseball was back.

Of course I want the team to do well and don't like seasons like last year. But I love baseball and the Red Sox, so even in a bad year, I'm going to try to find something/someone to enjoy.

Some thought Lester was through after 2012,

but after he threw his last pitch in the clincher,

it proved undeniably that they were wrong. *;) winking

GO SOX

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Great year so far but I want it all, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

GO SOX

I tend to be an optimist, although I feel I can be open-minded and critical when necessary. But I didn't give up on Lester. First, he finished last year decent with an ERA around 3.80 for the last two months of the season. Then this year, he started strong for the first six weeks. So when he went through that spell, I still felt that he had it in him to be good that he simply had to get his mechanics right. I was holding my breath, but it's good to see hom come back strong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to S5's comment:

As someone (4b's?  Max?) said a week or so ago and it should be his tag line, "Some people just want to be first in the, 'I told you so', line. 

There are people paid to see the worst of every scenario.  Most of the time they are national security analysts.  But, again, they get paid for that.  Some fans think that since they buy tickets, they have the position of being only negative.  And they are often exactly the folks you mention.

:o)

How can one be happy with being that person?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I agree.  Completely.  But this has been more enjoyable than last year, all the same. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

There are people paid to see the worst of every scenario.  Most of the time they are national security analysts.  But, again, they get paid for that.  Some fans think that since they buy tickets, they have the position of being only negative.  And they are often exactly the folks you mention.

that's what i don't get. i don't see how you can find joy in complaining about any and everything that is not perfect (and even sometimes when things ARE perfect they still whine).

Not many games are a 20-0 contest in which the starter throws a perfect game and 4 guys in the lineup hit for the cycle... complaining about a single baserunner when you are up by 4 runs or proclaiming the game to be over if we won't score a guy from 3rd with 1 out makes you look like an idiot.

it's 1 thing to call out a guy for bad performance over a servicable sample size...... nitpicking so you can complain for the sake of complaining it another thing entirely.... and it's not good

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Hello ol friend, It was a season of Joy. Baseball is a fasinating game, everyone starts even and you never ever know who will progress to the top. Through the bad and the recent wonderful years, it matters not how they finish but the joy of what they brought us!

Accepting losing occasionally makes celebrating winning that much better!

You started a thread before the start of the season on what pitchers records may end up being. i have been trying to find it with out success. Do you have access to it?

I dont like facts, they cloud my irresponsible Judgement!

I often go back to read what i wrote only to find out it's not what I said!

Promise4 ...I'll look for the thread,  but a lot of that was lost when the forum changed formats.  I don't keep my most of my stuff off line.  I should have I guess.  The ones about my dad and others of similar weight I have.  

It has been so much fun.  I have lost countless hours of sleep ... the wife says I am starting to look like an old man because I've stayed up to watch so many games.  I get up at 2 am for my first job ... and some of the games are hardly over by then!!!   Ha!

I promised her that I would catch up on sleep in November.   (8oD

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

that's what i don't get. i don't see how you can find joy in complaining about any and everything that is not perfect (and even sometimes when things ARE perfect they still whine).

Not many games are a 20-0 contest in which the starter throws a perfect game and 4 guys in the lineup hit for the cycle... complaining about a single baserunner when you are up by 4 runs or proclaiming the game to be over if we won't score a guy from 3rd with 1 out makes you look like an idiot.

it's 1 thing to call out a guy for bad performance over a servicable sample size...... nitpicking so you can complain for the sake of complaining it another thing entirely.... and it's not good

mef, I agree.  Especially when one considers baseball is a game that spells out individual success at the plate with failure rates of 65% or more.  IOW, a .350 BA is wildly successful, but it means one fails almost twice as often as one succeeds.  Even those who have great OBP fail more than they succeed.  

Now, I know that fielding is different.  One better be as close to 1.000 as possible.  But even if a team fails to win 40% of all games, it still means they probably had a great season of .600 ball. 

Use those percentages while in school or applied to attendance at work .... things would NOT be well.

It's a tough game to play well.  But these guys are doing it - and as a team.  A dug out full of all for one and one for all - baseball groupies!  Fun group.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

hehe .... I want it all every year.  But that is one reason I don't go to all you can eat places anymore.  I think I should be able to eat it all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree.  Completely.  But this has been more enjoyable than last year, all the same. 

Definitely. I've enjoyed every moment tremendously.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

hehe .... I want it all every year.  But that is one reason I don't go to all you can eat places anymore.  I think I should be able to eat it all.

Gross LOL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

GO SOX

I tend to be an optimist, although I feel I can be open-minded and critical when necessary. But I didn't give up on Lester. First, he finished last year decent with an ERA around 3.80 for the last two months of the season. Then this year, he started strong for the first six weeks. So when he went through that spell, I still felt that he had it in him to be good that he simply had to get his mechanics right. I was holding my breath, but it's good to see hom come back strong.

Not everyone likes to look at some of the supporting details, but this underscores its importance.  With a guy like Beckett, you could see the decline in the K% and K/W.  He went from ~ 5/1 to about 2.5/1 by the time he left.

Lester, OTOH, was right at his career numbers for K/W.  His BABIP, his LOB%, and his HR/FB in 2012 were all worse than they should've been.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I know there is a given among some of us on this board, and for many in life.  We just cannot enjoy a thing without knocking it down or dragging it through some mud (which, admittedly, can really be fun .... playing in the mud, that is{your imaginations engage here}).  Heck, I know some of us cannot enjoy anything, no matter how well things are going.  So I realize for you, even winning the World Series won't be enough.  You will surely say that there isn't a chance we won't do it again next year ... but fast forwarding to this time next year and being on the verge of another WS crown, you won't be happy, even if we do repeat.  You will only be sure to point out we won't "3peat."  But, eliminating that helpless and sad crowd ...

I want to win the World Series and am surprisingly sure this team is more than capable in doing just that.

OBF says we have to win at least one post season game to make it a real success.  And a part of me agrees with him that it would leave a bad taste if we were swept out of the PS.

But from Hellhouse, Bobby's Broken Experiment, last place 69 win season ... to this entire improbable but incredibly enjoyable season and team ...

I would have considered a .500 season a huge success given last year's campaign. This is beyond my wildest expectations. Even if they don't win another game, how can anyone not call this season a success?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

So sweet. This season was expected to be bad, but posters like you and I NEVER see it that way. Glad you're here to balance it out amongst realists and doom and gloomers. How cool is it that nothing was expected, and everything can happen! Loving this season, loving these guys and it's all good to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

So true. There's definitely competition for who's the most right about this team being so wrong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Exactly, Roy. It's great to have posters who actually enjoy this team no matter what. All the better if they win it all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

I would have considered a .500 season a huge success given last year's campaign. This is beyond my wildest expectations. Even if they don't win another game, how can anyone not call this season a success?

Yup, I would've been happy if the Sox were in the Rays or Tribe's position; just battling for a WC spot.

Winning the division, after a year like last year is fantastic (to steal from an old MLB ad campaign)!

Sections
Shortcuts