such a great start for Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

such a great start for Ortiz

Given Ortiz’s history of slow early-season starts, I’m absolutely delighted with his performance in April. It’s certainly unreasonable to think that he will maintain this torrid pace, but if he can stay healthy, and continue to take advantage of his newly-found opposite field stroke, he might just have an MVP type year.

Not to start an argument over who was or is the better player, but his offensive output in April reminds me of a former Sox player who likewise got off to an incredible start at the beginning of the season. And I witnessed one fabulous season of offensive production.

This guy ended up leading the league in RBIs (144) and total bases (326), while batting .322 with 34 homers. In addition, his .583 slugging percentage and 70 extra bases were second in the league and his .961 OPS was third best in the AL. He subsequently finished 6th for the league MVP, but did make Rookie of the Year and was selected to the All-Star Game.

I’d be ecstatic if David could compile numbers like that this season. Wouldn’t you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: such a great start for Ortiz

In response to dustcover's comment:

Given Ortiz’s history of slow early-season starts, I’m absolutely delighted with his performance in April. It’s certainly unreasonable to think that he will maintain this torrid pace, but if he can stay healthy, and continue to take advantage of his newly-found opposite field stroke, he might just have an MVP type year.

Not to start an argument over who was or is the better player, but his offensive output in April reminds me of a former Sox player who likewise got off to an incredible start at the beginning of the season. And I witnessed one fabulous season of offensive production.

This guy ended up leading the league in RBIs (144) and total bases (326), while batting .322 with 34 homers. In addition, his .583 slugging percentage and 70 extra bases were second in the league and his .961 OPS was third best in the AL. He subsequently finished 6th for the league MVP, but did make Rookie of the Year and was selected to the All-Star Game.

I’d be ecstatic if David could compile numbers like that this season. Wouldn’t you.

Like you I'm happy to see Ortiz hitting the way he is capable as He's always been one of my favorites despite some of the wierd things he's pulled over the past few years. Certainly he is slightly flawed, maybe a bit egocentric but still a great player when healthy.

I just wonder how much of his slippage a few years ago was due to Manny not being there to protect him in the line-up, how much was caused by injury, failure to stay in proper playing condition or being over weight. Probably a bit of all of the above. All that being said it's great to see Papi back and playing well in the heart of the Sox line-up hopefully staying healthy. Especially great to see him doing so well proving to his doubter that he's still can hit the tar off the ball.

Hetch  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

YES, but "TENTING TONIGHT"  !!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Bill and Softy, 

I know you both posted something in response but one of us but I've blocked you both permanantly so I don't have to read idiotic comments. 

Such is life,

Hetch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

yes, if they keep Ortiz in bed and only play him about 100 games, he should stay off the DL shelf he's been on since last summer.

Maybe the "BIG O" issued an executive order on tonights lineup ???????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Bill and Softy, 

I know you both posted something in response but one of us but I've blocked you both permanantly so I don't have to read idiotic comments. 

Such is life,

Hetch

Thank You Hetch, as Hillary Clinton would say....... "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE" ?????

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Bill, 

I logged off for a moment to read your foolishness then logged back on. What difference does it make. To me a lot so I do not have to read the gibberish that you, Softy, Idiots2004 you best buddy write about. As far as I'm concerned you all do not exist in my universe, thankfully. You three have become the triumvirate of stupidity. 

Hetch 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bill, 

I logged off for a moment to read your foolishness then logged back on. What difference does it make. To me a lot so I do not have to read the gibberish that you, Softy, Idiots2004 you best buddy write about. As far as I'm concerned you all do not exist in my universe, thankfully. You three have become the triumvirate of stupidity. 

Hetch 

Amen.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Funny how Bill and softy started posted at the same time today. You guys live together? Not here all day, then show up together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Funny how Bill and softy started posted at the same time today. You guys live together? Not here all day, then show up together.

Makes me wonder if Bill and the Great Soft One are one in the same. Speaking of which we've not heard from Bill's unknown admirer, Idiots0004. He must be on furlough in NYC. 

Hetch

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Makes me wonder if Bill and the Great Soft One are one in the same. Speaking of which we've not heard from Bill's unknown admirer, Idiots0004. He must be on furlough in NYC. 

Hetch

You guys are working to hard at this ........  Why not stop the crying, and just enjoy the ride ???

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

Hetch

i agree. it's not possible there could be two people that stupid.

Yazz,

Unfortunately on that one I'll have to disagree. It is more than a very high probability that there are many more than just those two who have the capability to be so stupid. I think at last count I've got 7-8 blocked between the Sox and Patriot boards on the BDC. I do find this all a bit comical at this point.

As for the screen door in the submarine, that joke goes back to my highschool days and I graduated in 1966. Sort of like the lead baloon !!

Cheers,

Hetch 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

This a classic example of a thread being hijacked, diluted, and turned into a pissing contest. And for that reason I'm not going to reveal the mystery player referenced in the original post.  So there.  *>:P phbbbbt

But in an attempt to resurrect the thread, I will offer this clue, he turned down an offer from the Chicago Bears in order to play baseball and subsequently signed with the Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts