Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth

Here are the lineups for the final game of the series:

RED SOX 
    Scutaro SS
    McDonald CF
    Gonzalez 1B
    Pedroia 2B
    Lowrie 3B
    Lavarnway DH
    Crawford LF
    Varitek C
    Reddick RF

Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (11-6, 3.32)

ROYALS
    Gordon LF
    Cabrera CF
    Butler DH
    Hosmer 1B
    Francoeur
    Giavotella 2B
    Perez C
    Moustskas C
    Escobar SS

Pitching: LHP Danny Duffy (3-6, 4.97)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth

I don't care if it IS a lefty on the mound.  McDonald should be batting 9th.  Not Reddick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, I would flip Crawford and Reddick

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd have Lowrie 2nd, Lavarnway 5th, Reddick 6th, DMac 7th, Vtek 8th, and CC 9th.

As much as many of you do not like DMac in any line-up, he is a better option than several other players.

vs LHPs in 2011:
    Pedey 1.106
    Redd:    .986 (27 PAs)
    VTek     .794
    AGon:   .778
    DMac:  .765
    Scutty  .700
    Aviles:  .643
    Salty:    .615
    Craw:    .525 
    Lavarn: .250 (1 for 4) 

1) It is interesting that Tito does not have faith in Reddick vs LHPs. I know his sample size is small, but this team is hurting bad. The risk might outweigh the reward.
    2) VTek catching Lester is a good idea, when you look at VTek's numbers vs LHPs. He is way better than Salty (and even has a higher OPS than AGon).
    3) CC should bat 9th vs LHPs today. He shouldn't even play vs almost all LH'd starters when everyone is healthy. He has a career sub .700 OPS, and is doing even worse this year (.525).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Thank god none of you has any say in the actual lineup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

that line up is a perfect example as to how bad a manager terry francona is. Given the same players, this is how it should look:

scutaro
    crawford
    gonzalez
    pedroia
    lowrie
    lavarnway
    reddick
    mcdonald
    tek

if francona had any brain whatsoever thats the line up he would have penciled in for tonights game. but i forgot dmac is an allstar is his eyes and because reddick is left handed he should bat last with potential the worst hitter in the mlb in varitek hitting ahead of him. dont be surprised if we drop this one to the royals and lose another series we should have won. and i am sure if we get a lead he will bring in albers to give it back. has francona ever thought that maybe giving albers some rest instead of throwing him back out there the day after he cost the sox a win only to see him cost them another one while letting in even more runs. but ya another great demonstration of franconas amazing good managerial skills. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth:
    that line up is a perfect example as to how bad a manager terry francona is. Given the same players, this is how it should look: scutaro crawford gonzalez pedroia lowrie lavarnway reddick mcdonald tek if francona had any brain whatsoever thats the line up he would have penciled in for tonights game. but i forgot dmac is an allstar is his eyes and because reddick is left handed he should bat last with potential the worst hitter in the mlb in varitek hitting ahead of him. dont be surprised if we drop this one to the royals and lose another series we should have won. and i am sure if we get a lead he will bring in albers to give it back. has francona ever thought that maybe giving albers some rest instead of throwing him back out there the day after he cost the sox a win only to see him cost them another one while letting in even more runs. but ya another great demonstration of franconas amazing good managerial skills. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

I'm normally one to defend Francona (or remain quiet), but in this case I prefer your line-up. The only adjustment I might make in your proposal would be to flip Pedroia and AGon to break up the lefties.  Also, I have to believe we will not see Albers for a couple of games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

forget who bats where.  where is saltalamacchia?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The September collapse is coming again. Ells soon on the DL and back to Arizona. Ortiz pulling his slowdown because of contract. Youk completely worn out. Wastefield still a starter. Gonzales now a singles hitter.
    Posted by bill039

Bit of an exaggeration , but a lot of truth there. You do seem to be giving a bit of a pass to Youk, however.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

that line up is a perfect example as to how bad a manager terry francona is. Given the same players, this is how it should look: scutaro crawford gonzalez pedroia lowrie lavarnway reddick mcdonald tek if francona had any brain whatsoever thats the line up he would have penciled in for tonights game. but i forgot dmac is an allstar is his eyes and because reddick is left handed he should bat last with potential the worst hitter in the mlb in varitek hitting ahead of him. dont be surprised if we drop this one to the royals and lose another series we should have won. and i am sure if we get a lead he will bring in albers to give it back. has francona ever thought that maybe giving albers some rest instead of throwing him back out there the day after he cost the sox a win only to see him cost them another one while letting in even more runs. but ya another great demonstration of franconas amazing good managerial skills. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34
    Your argument falls apart the moment you suggest that Crawford should be batting second. When he was hitting well (BB - before Boston) he was terrible against LH pitching. This year he is beyond awful (.179/.241/.285). Darnell is no great shakes at .209/.303/.463 but the difference in OPS is striking.

As for all the uproar over Reddick, since he has become the every day platoon Ofer he has returned to his 2011 MiLB BA (.236) with a modest spread in OBP (.282). In the last 7 games he has been scuffling (.214/.267/.286). And that is being platooned. The other thing which isn't readily available to us is just what was his LH v LH splits in Pawtucket?

Of all the second guesses I see here Moon's is the most viable with Lowrie at the 2 and Lavarnway at 5. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, Reddick is 0 for 3 as of now and DMac is 2 for 3.

Crickets...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick is now 4-38 and fading fast. 3-18 in his last 8 games. Swinging like a rusty gate, especially with men in scoring position. .250 post All-Star. .240 for August.
    Talk about reverting back to form!
    Sox better start thinking about RF for 2012, and not a lefty hitter, either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think with Crawford, Reddick, and Kalish all hitting RHPs pretty well, we can try and find a cheap OF option in the form od a good fielding RF'er who hits LHPs very well. Platoon-type players are usually not costly, unless your name is Carl Crawford.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thank god none of you has any say in the actual lineup.
    Posted by OhEFFU

What's wrong with my line-up?

scutty (on base 2 of 5 times)
    lowrie (1 for 3 with Sac)
    Agon  (1-3 with a BB)
    Pedey (0-4)
    Lavarn (2-4)
    Reddick (0-4)
    DMac (3-4 with 6 total bases)
    VTek (1-4 with a big triple)
    CC    (1-4 with a solo jack)

The only slot I got "wrong" was Reddick up 6th/CC 9th.
    Who knows what might have happened, but my guess is DMac would have got more than 1 RBI had he batted 7th not 2nd. Lavarnway with his 2 hits might have been better up 5th than 6th, and so on...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Huh? Did you read my post on Reddick's stats?
    HE'S NOT HITTING ANYBODY right or left.
     Today is one of the few times he's played against left handed pitching, and only because Jacoby was out.
    What is the blind spot people have regarding this guy? I don't get it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'd have Lowrie 2nd, Lavarnway 5th, Reddick 6th, DMac 7th, Vtek 8th, and CC 9th. As much as many of you do not like DMac in any line-up, he is a better option than several other players. vs LHPs in 2011: Pedey 1.106 Redd:    .986 (27 PAs) VTek     .794 AGon:   .778 DMac:  .765 Scutty  .700 Aviles:  .643 Salty:    .615 Craw:    .525  Lavarn: .250 (1 for 4)  1) It is interesting that Tito does not have faith in Reddick vs LHPs. I know his sample size is small, but this team is hurting bad. The risk might outweigh the reward. 2) VTek catching Lester is a good idea,when you look at VTek's numbers vs LHPs. He is way better than Salty (and even has a higher OPS than AGon). 3) CC should bat 9th vs LHPs today. He shouldn't even play vs almost all LH'd starters when everyone is healthy. He has a career sub .700 OPS, and is doing even worse this year (.525).
    Posted by moonslav59

Tek catching Lester is a very good idea, but for a different reason than you gave.
    Lester has been exceptional with Tek over the last two years - twice as good with him as with anybody else. More than half his outings with Tek are shutdown performances. Matching Tek's limited bat to the opposition fails in importance to this.

Will Tito acknowledge this come playoff time???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Huh? Did you read my post on Reddick's stats? HE'S NOT HITTING ANYBODY right or left.  Today is one of the few times he's played against left handed pitching, and only because Jacoby was out. What is the blind spot people have regarding this guy? I don't get it.
    Posted by tbrod

Ummm, yes, I read your post. Have you seen CC's numbers vs lefties?
    As bad as Reddick has been, CC is worse. (vs LHPs)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth : Tek catching Lester is a very good idea, but for a different reason than you gave. Lester has been exceptional with Tek over the last two years - twice as good with him as with anybody else. More than half his outings with Tek are shutdown performances. Matching Tek's limited bat to the opposition fails in importance to this. Will Tito acknowledge this come playoff time???
    Posted by harness

I doubt it.

Also, whenever we face a LH'd starter with Lester pitching (and others for that matter), Tito should strongly consider starting VTek over Salty for 3 reasons:
    1) Tito has played pitcher caddy too much this year. If there is an injury, some catcher-pitcher combinations have virtually no experience together. We need to get Salty some work with Beckett as well.
    2) VTek hits LHPs way better than Salty, and Salty hits RHPs way better than LHPs, so it might be time to start using the opponent's pitcher as more of a reason to start one cathcer over the other rather than by who we are starting.
    3) Our offense is hurting with Papi, Youk and Ellsbury out. Any boost will help. I know it is hard for some of you to imagine VTek being an offensive boost over anyone, but the guy has a higher OPS vs LHPs than AGon and most of the players on this team.

OPS vs LHPs (before today):
    1) Pedey   1.106
    2) Papi      1.002
    3) Reddick   .986 (before today's 0/4)
    4) Lowrie    .983
    5) Youk       .981
    6) VTek       .794 (a triple today)
    7) AGon       .778
    8) DMac      .765 (3/4 today)
    9) Ellsb       .757
    10) Scutty    .700
    11) Salty      .615
    12) Drew     .586
    13) Craw     .525

Vs RHPs:
    Salty: .836
    VTek: .686 

VTek vs LHPs is an obvious choice, except maybe when Wake starts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth : I doubt it. Also, whenever we face a LH'd starter with Lester pitching (and others for that matter), Tito should strongly consider starting VTek over Salty for 3 reasons: 1) Tito has played pitcher caddy too much this year. If there is an injury, some catcher-pitcher combinations have virtually no experience together. We need to get Salty some work with Beckett as well. 2) VTek hits LHPs way better than Salty, and Salty hits RHPs way better than LHPs, so it might be time to start using the opponent's pitcher as more of a reason to start one cathcer over the other rather than by who we are starting. 3) Our offense is hurting with Papi, Youk and Ellsbury out. Any boost will help. I know it is hard for some of you to imagine VTek being an offensive boost over anyone, but the guy has a higher OPS vs LHPs than AGon and most of the players on this team. OPS vs LHPs (before today): 1) Pedey   1.106 2) Papi      1.002 3) Reddick   .986 (before today's 0/4) 4) Lowrie    .983 5) Youk       .981 6) VTek       .794 (a triple today) 7) AGon       .778 8) DMac      .765 (3/4 today) 9) Ellsb       .757 10) Scutty    .700 11) Salty      .615 12) Drew     .586 13) Craw     .525 Vs RHPs: Salty: .836 VTek: .686  VTek vs LHPs is an obvious choice, except maybe when Wake starts.
    Posted by moonslav59

If this line-up has to rely on Tek's bat, hang it up.
    The best contribution the team can get is to stop the opposition.
    Then less hitting is required.

I do agree on the Caddy thing.
    But after the VMART/BECKETT scenario, no way Tito will go there again unless forced. It took Josh completely out of his game.
    Personally, I think he'd adjust in better fashion now, but the risk is not worth it.

I do think we'll see Salty catching Bedard some. But the difference in the PO's - round one - may come down to Tito using a 3-man rotation...and who catches whom.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't say "rely" on VTek's bat, only that it is better than Salty's vs LHPs. Couple that with his better handling of the staff, and to me, it's a no brainer he should start vs almost all LHPs (except Wake starts) as well and a few of the RHPs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I love this thread because finally, finally the naysayers spoke out before the fact.  With three excellent hitters--Ellsbury, Youk, and Papi--Francona had to cobble together a lineup and did a terrific job.  He knows, I would hasten to add, Reddick a lot better than we do.  And the other guys.  When the lineup doesn't work out, the boo birds always blame him.  Me, I think he does a terrific job when times are hard as they are now.  Plus Lester hung in there for 6 and Bard pitched two great innings. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just saying you'd have made a different line-up, doesn't mean you do not think Tito is doing a teriffic job. Some of us can disagree with someone else and not think the other person is an idiot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm still annoyed they nailed Ellsbury in the back.

Sections
Shortcuts