Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth
posted at 8/21/2011 7:52 PM EDT
In Response to Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth
[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Lineup: Ellsbury out again, Reddick ninth : Tek catching Lester is a very good idea, but for a different reason than you gave. Lester has been exceptional with Tek over the last two years - twice as good with him as with anybody else. More than half his outings with Tek are shutdown performances. Matching Tek's limited bat to the opposition fails in importance to this. Will Tito acknowledge this come playoff time???
Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
I doubt it.
Also, whenever we face a LH'd starter with Lester pitching (and others for that matter), Tito should strongly consider starting VTek over Salty for 3 reasons:
1) Tito has played pitcher caddy too much this year. If there is an injury, some catcher-pitcher combinations have virtually no experience together. We need to get Salty some work with Beckett as well.
2) VTek hits LHPs way better than Salty, and Salty hits RHPs way better than LHPs, so it might be time to start using the opponent's pitcher as more of a reason to start one cathcer over the other rather than by who we are starting.
3) Our offense is hurting with Papi, Youk and Ellsbury out. Any boost will help. I know it is hard for some of you to imagine VTek being an offensive boost over anyone, but the guy has a higher OPS vs LHPs than AGon and most of the players on this team.
OPS vs LHPs (before today):
1) Pedey 1.106
2) Papi 1.002
3) Reddick .986 (before today's 0/4)
4) Lowrie .983
5) Youk .981
6) VTek .794 (a triple today)
7) AGon .778
8) DMac .765 (3/4 today)
9) Ellsb .757
10) Scutty .700
11) Salty .615
12) Drew .586
13) Craw .525
VTek vs LHPs is an obvious choice, except maybe when Wake starts.