Sunday Morning thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Sunday Morning thoughts

Looking at the team, there are several things to like about the 2013 Red Sox.  Very good starting pitching, serviceable bullpen (which was was seriously depleted due to injuries before the all star break) with a hidden gem as a closer, a better than expected defense and a grinder offense.

Offensively the team is ranked 2nd in runs scored, rbi's, slugging percentage, etc. with the biggest stat of having taken 900 more pitches than the next team. 

Looking at the schedule with 25 games left, if the Red Sox could win every series 2 out of 3, atleast split the 4 game series with the Yankees next weekend, they should not have a problem getting to 95 wins.

I don't think the Yankes will catch the Red Sox for the divisional crown, but after the mid september series in boston, their remaining series include: Toronto, San Fran, and Houston.  I think that stretch right there might push the Yankees towards the 2nd wild card spot.

As for some talk on the boards about resting some of the players, in the month of September, there are 4 off days, with a projected clinching of the division on/around the Colorado series.  I wouldn't rest the regulars until then.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Sunday Morning thoughts

Bay Bridge (SF/Oakland) closed until Tues 9/2 so heavy traffic other bridges to Oakland but I will be wearing my "Bee" on my cap & Boston Strong T-Shirt & attending the game & rooting my heart out for an A's sweep.  Hope we sweep the White Sox too but as much as I hate to do it, I'd rather have the Orioles beat the Yankees today. NY is coming on strong & it may need to be us when we meet to put them away instead of getting outside help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, let hope that the Yankees are still 8 games behind by the time they play against the Red Sox.  If that the case, Yankees need to sweep the Sox to order to get into the divisional title race.  We all know that the Red Sox arent going to let it happen.  They will play the first game of the series like it is a must needed win.  Same goes with the second games of the series to the four games of the series.  A split in that series is more likely going to end the Yankees's divisonal title chase.  Then Tampa will finally come home to play against Boston afterward.  Holpefully Tampa struggles badly on the whole west coast trip where they are too far behind the Sox at the same time they may need to sweep the Sox to order to get back into the divisional title race.

Well, right now the Sox need to win one game at a time starting today.  I wont look to far ahead now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Well, let hope that the Yankees are still 8 games behind by the time they play against the Red Sox.  If that the case, Yankees need to sweep the Sox to order to get into the divisional title race.  We all know that the Red Sox arent going to let it happen.  They will play the first game of the series like it is a must needed win.  Same goes with the second games of the series to the four games of the series.  A split in that series is more likely going to end the Yankees's divisonal title chase.  Then Tampa will finally come home to play against Boston afterward.  Holpefully Tampa struggles badly on the whole west coast trip where they are too far behind the Sox at the same time they may need to sweep the Sox to order to get back into the divisional title race.

Well, right now the Sox need to win one game at a time starting today.  I wont look to far ahead now. 

I agree with your analysis...win one at a time & I believe today is critical too if Balt beats NY & A's win.

Our next 3 vs Tigers could be a divisional title playoff preview & 2/3 would be nice but then critical games start with 4 NY, 3 Tampa, 3 Yankees again & 3 Orioles. Of those last 13 we need at least 7 wins. Funny as our last 3 are vs Balt. Hate to open wounds but needing just one victory 2 years ago & Yankees vs Tampa, we'd been in the playoffs and neither happened & NY blew a 7 run lead in the last game. Want the division in hand before the last series (HA!)