Sunday night game thread:Red Sox at Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Sunday night game thread:Red Sox at Yankees

Go Sox!
    Sweep!

RED SOX (19-20)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz DH
    Drew RF
    Lowrie SS
    Crawford LF
    Saltalamacchia C

Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (4-1, 2.96).

YANKEES (20-17)
     Jeter SS
    Granderson CF
    Teixeira 1B
    Rodriguez 3B
    Cano 2B
    Swisher RF
    Jones DH
    Martin C
    Gardner LF

WEEI:
    RED SOX VS. GARCIA

David Ortiz (35): .242/.286/.515, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts

Jason Varitek (34): .273/.294/.455, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts

Carl Crawford (20): .333/.400/.667, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts

J.D. Drew (13): .250/.308/.333, 1 walk

Kevin Youkilis (12): .182/.250/.182, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts

Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 strikeout

Dustin Pedroia (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI

Adrian Gonzalez (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout

Jed Lowrie (3): .333/.333/.333

Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.667/.000, 1 walk, 1 hit by pitch

Mike Cameron (1): sacrifice hit

Darnell McDonald has never faced Garcia.

YANKEES VS. LESTER

Derek Jeter (38 career plate appearances): .333 BA/.368 OBP/.333 SLG, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts

Robinson Cano (34): .226/.265/.290, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts

Mark Teixeira (32): .207/.281/.310, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 walks, 12 strikeouts

Nick Swisher (31): .160/.290/.480, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts

Alex Rodriguez (29): .231/.310/.654, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts

Jorge Posada (23): .190/.261/.190, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts

Andruw Jones (13): .333/.462/.333, 4 RBI, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts

Curtis Granderson (7): .143/.143/.143, 3 strikeouts

Francisco Cervelli (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 walk

Brett Gardner (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout

Russell Martin and Eduardo Nunez have never faced Lester.
    NESN:

The rain has stopped, for now. There is more forecast for later on, but it's been moved back to the latter portion of the night. Looks like we might be OK.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Sunday night game thread:Red Sox at Yankees

what are the chances the game will be played due to the rain/forecast?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday night game thread:Red Sox at Yankees:
    [QUOTE]what are the chances the game will be played due to the rain/forecast?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Andrew, right now it's muggy but a bit overcast, i think there's a chance they could get it started, just hope they can finish though... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Go Sox!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

thanks for the info

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey, is anybody seeing the Jays' game?...Bautista has 3 jacks today..16 on the season...man, and i thought AG was in a zone!!... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

NESN:

As he approaches the mid-point of May, Adrian Gonzalez has set himself up to have one of the finest offensive showings for one month in team, and baseball, history, and has put himself on pace to land at or near the top of several leaderboards. Here is a look at some of the scenarios surrounding Gonzalez's incredible onslaught through the first two weeks of May:

•    With eight homers in the first 13 games of the month, Gonzalez is on pace to hit 18.5 in the 30-game stretch. The American League record for one month is 18, held by Detroit's Rudy York in 1937. The major league record for home runs by a left-handed hitter in one month is 17, owned by Babe Ruth (1927) and Barry Bonds (2001).

•    Bonds' 17 also came in May, which makes that the major league record for this month. Mickey Mantle set the AL mark for home runs in May with 16 back in 1956.

•    The Red Sox record for home runs in one month is 14, accomplished by Jackie Jensen in June 1958 and David Ortiz in July 2006. The record for May is held by Jim Rice, who hit 13 in 1978.

•    With home runs in four straight games, Gonzalez is a game shy of tying the franchise mark, held by five players: Jimmie Foxx (1940), Ted Williams (1957), Dick Stuart (1963), George Scott (1977) and Jose Canseco (1995).

•    With 19 RBIs in the first 13 games of the month, Gonzalez is on pace for 44, which would eclipse Williams' team record of 41, set in May 1942, and tie the major league mark set by Cy Williams of the Philadelphia Phillies in 1925. Williams reached the 40-RBI mark twice in his career. Clyde Vollmer is the only other Red Sox player to do so when he had 40 in July 1951. Ty Cobb owns the AL mark for the month of May with 43 in 1923.

•    With six home runs through his first 19 games on the road, Gonzalez is on pace for 26 away from Fenway Park. Ortiz (twice) and Williams are the only Boston hitters to ever have that many road home runs in a single year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey gang, just came back from the store.. weather's taken a bit of a turn here, increased thunder over the past hour, and now starting to rain...FrownFrown

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sweet-scar. Show sweet-scar's posts

posada is not in the lineup tonight

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Boston Herald:

NEW YORK — While Jorge Posada says he apologized to Yankees manager Joe Girardi for refusing to play — and to bat ninth — last night, Terry Francona said left fielder Carl Crawford hasn’t balked about remaining in the No. 8 spot for the Red Sox.

“Carl’s been nothing but professional — in everything,” Francona said. “He wasn’t hitting very well in the beginning, and he tried hard to be a good hitter. It took him a little longer than everybody wanted. He won the clubhouse over with his work ethic. It’s easy to be patient with guys like that.”

Francona reiterated that he would like to move Crawford back toward the top of the lineup, where the Red Sox always figured he would hit after they signed him to a $142 million contract. But circumstances, namely the recent scorching streaks of leadoff man Jacoby Ellsbury and No. 3 hitter Adrian Gonzalez, haven’t created the opportunity for a reshuffling of the deck.

In other news, Francona said shortstop Marco Scutaro (oblique) has been seeing a therapist in Miami but will rejoin the Red Sox tomorrow at Fenway Park.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sweet-scar. Show sweet-scar's posts

[QUOTE]Boston Herald: NEW YORK — While Jorge Posada says he apologized to Yankees manager Joe Girardi for refusing to play — and to bat ninth — last night, Terry Francona said left fielder Carl Crawford hasn’t balked about remaining in the No. 8 spot for the Red Sox. “Carl’s been nothing but professional — in everything,” Francona said. “He wasn’t hitting very well in the beginning, and he tried hard to be a good hitter. It took him a little longer than everybody wanted. He won the clubhouse over with his work ethic. It’s easy to be patient with guys like that.” Francona reiterated that he would like to move Crawford back toward the top of the lineup, where the Red Sox always figured he would hit after they signed him to a $142 million contract. But circumstances, namely the recent scorching streaks of leadoff man Jacoby Ellsbury and No. 3 hitter Adrian Gonzalez, haven’t created the opportunity for a reshuffling of the deck. In other news, Francona said shortstop Marco Scutaro (oblique) has been seeing a therapist in Miami but will rejoin the Red Sox tomorrow at Fenway Park.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE] thanks edith!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I hope they can get this one in.  I'd hate to see the climb to .500 stalled.  TB lost again to the O's today, so a win tonight would bunch things up nicely. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Evening Joel...what's doin?..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Only the weather or the umpires can prevent a sox sweep.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Why not at least put Crawford in Drew's spot at the six hole, though?  Having him in front of the catcher's position would seem to be hurting him insofar as how he is pitched.  It's not as if Drew is doing much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Just looking forward to a ballgame, Jete, and one without Buck and McCarver.  Man, that was brutal last night.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

well, Edith's unnecessary(though not incorrect) comparison aside, Posada's 0-24 vs lefties is the more logical reason...bottom line, EVERYONE needs to hit vs Lester...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Good luck with that one, jete.  Lester got touched for five runs in 5.1 innings last outing against the Jays.  I would expexct a bounce back game tonight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

joel, you ain't kiddin', those last 3-4 innings i felt like i was watching TMZ...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]joel, you ain't kiddin', those last 3-4 innings i felt like i was watching TMZ...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    How those guys remain in the booth is beyond me, but it is after all the Fox network.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

According the Weather Channel radar futurecast, showers should clear by 7:15. Thereafter, there is a 3-4 hr. window of no rain. Hope it holds true.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Alexander Haig
    : I am in charge

I knew Al Haig.  Al Haig was not a friend of mine....  You sir are no Al Haig!!!!

:)

p.s.   Nancy still hates you!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

WEEI:
    Prior to Sunday's game between the Red Sox and Yankees, Jorge Posada told reporters that he had apologized to New York manager Joe Girardi for removing himself from the lineup on Saturday night, saying, "I let some people down." Posada, who is not in the lineup for Sunday night's game, said he just "had a bad day [Saturday]," but added that he was ready to move on. "What's done is done. You have to acknowledge that," he told reporters. "You have to take care of your actions."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Happy sweep Sunday to all .......Cant wait to see Lester throw darts out there I got a special feeling about this one!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

ESPN:

"[Saturday] did not factor into my lineup tonight," Girardi confirmed. "The real struggles that Jorge's had have been against left-handers. So, I decided to DH Andruw Jones today."

Sections
Shortcuts