Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White

In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White:
    [QUOTE]if sox don't get a deal done for a SP, getting a reliever may be the next best thing. possibly put aceves in the rotation,  proven in the ALE
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

yes agree

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think Theo has to pull the trigger for an arm now that I think we can safely say that Miller is not a viable guy right now.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : Should Theo go after Heath Bell?  Although I like Aceves' role in the BP right now, bringing Bell into the pen would allow Terry to move guys like Albers and Wheeler down to earlier innings work and allow Aceves to make some starts.  Maybe they are ready to try stretching him out.  He hasn't looked all that good as a starter this season, but maybe they'll be thinking about it if they can't get another starter.  
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

I say yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : The deal just has to be reported to the MLB office by 4:00 PM Eastern.  Quite often it is not made public until several minutes or more after the deadline.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]cant imagine theo not getting a garza or some major shocker.. 

btw, read the scroll on tbs. furbush went to seattle for fister. so that means seattle now has a kuntz (third base coach) and a furbush! i imagine the mailman snickering every other day.. excuse me delivery for a kuntz and a furbush? is there kuntz around here?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : what? he is leading the universe in first AB hits, with power and everything else.. look it up!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    I don't need to look it up. I know it.  The point is that is not good to hit from behind in the count. Any hitter hits better when ahead or even in the count. There is no reason to let the pitcher automatically throw one down the middle for strike one every time up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Dgale

It's ok to take a pitch and fall behind - make the pitcher throw a strike

What you have to do is every-so-often swing at the first pitch (if it is close) so that pithers know you will sometimes swing and therefore, know that they won't get a free pass to a 0-1 count.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : Verlander is flat out great. The best in the business at this time.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    not even close. he's the most dominant. was nolan ryan ever really the best during his career? could throw a n0-no at anytime but had a few stinkers and average ones along the way.. btw, love listening to eck thrpw out the same verbiage every 2 secs. hi s "educated cheese" reminds me of jerry glanville with his "frozen rope" when he was a commentator in football. john elway "got that frozen rope.. dan marino "another frozen rope"..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

Afternoon everyone! Verlander No-No thru 8 innings, anyone watching?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, looks like nothing is a gonna happen trade-wise for the Sox

forget the waiver-wire if we are in first place

Beckett and Lester and Bard and Paps and the offense can still carry us but I won't be as confident.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Dgale It's ok to take a pitch and fall behind - make the pitcher throw a strike What you have to do is every-so-often swing at the first pitch (if it is close) so that pithers know you will sometimes swing and therefore, know that they won't get a free pass to a 0-1 count.........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, I have no problem with that. The thing I don't like is to become totally predictable at the plate.   Chances are you will get a good pitch to hit sometime in the at-bat. Sometimes, it is the first pitch. Have to put some doubt in the pitcher's mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : I don't need to look it up. I know it.  The point is that is not good to hit from behind in the count. Any hitter hits better when ahead or even in the count. There is no reason to let the pitcher automatically throw one down the middle for strike one every time up.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]obviously its working for him. he assumes the trade off of planting the seed of  a bunt and forcing the first or third basemen to move up a bit or the pitcher to be on his toes translates to a hit more than the risk of worrying about strike one. how many times they get to strike 2? i will presume not often.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : y do we need bell? love aceves in the bullpen. bard and albers are perfect setup guys. wheeler only pitches in blowouts and he should be pitching more
    Not saying we "need" him.  In fact I prefer Aceves in his current role.  I'm just saying if we can't get another starter, it may be a way around the current dilemma.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

V-Man's NO NO Broke up w/ a BUNT

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Getting tired of bunts and seeing eye singles by Chicago in this series.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : not even close. he's the most dominant. was nolan ryan ever really the best during his career? could throw a n0-no at anytime but had a few stinkers and average ones along the way.. btw, love listening to eck thrpw out the same verbiage every 2 secs. hi s "educated cheese" reminds me of jerry glanville with his "frozen rope" when he was a commentator in football. john elway "got that frozen rope.. dan marino "another frozen rope"..
    Last time I checked, Nolan Ryan was in the Hall of Fame.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : Exactly, I have no problem with that. The thing I don't like is to become totally predictable at the plate.   Chances are you will get a good pitch to hit sometime in the at-bat. Sometimes, it is the first pitch. Have to put some doubt in the pitcher's mind.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Yup - gotta pick your spots too but the last thing you want is the scouting report to read "ALWAYS TAKES THE FIRST PITCH"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Of course Nolan is in the HOF but Verlander in his prime vs Ryan in his prime - who would you pick to win a big game?  I'm going with the V-Man.  Ryan's career, albeit GREAT, did not live up to his stuff...Not a slight on Ryan.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Again, let me restate the fact that I'm getting very tired of bunts and seeing eye singles by Chicago in this series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

[QUOTE]V-Man's NO NO Broke up w/ a BUNT
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

And they may lose the game... was hoping he would get his 3rd career no no

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Getting sick of the White Sox period

Francona better have a fast hook today!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Tito; " He is throwing the ball well." ....  Me ; " Not well enough."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Afternoon everyone! Verlander No-No thru 8 innings, anyone watching?
    Posted by westcoastsox9[/QUOTE]
    u jinxed it. i flipped over tio see a hit and the angels closing it to 3-2. as i said , he's this generation's nolan ryan! cc, beckett, halladay , and cliff lee are all better!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

"It felt good coming out of my hand"

that's one of my favorites

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Sox game thread 7/31-Red vs White : And they may lose the game... was hoping he would get his 3rd career no no
    Posted by westcoastsox9[/QUOTE]

hate when a no hitter is broken up by a bunt. if you're going to do it, do it right with a clean hit

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

This team also knows how to bunt.