Sunday's game thread Mariners @ Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Sunday's game thread Mariners @ Sox

Unbelievable! The Sox win on a walk-off single by a struggling hitter who we badly need to produce, and still folks ain't happy around here! So what if we got a break when Ichiro lost the ball in the sun? Breaks are part of the game. The key is taking advantage of them!

Seriously, it's like the old Garbage song ... "I'm only happy when it rains ... you know I love it when the news is bad."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday's game thread Mariners @ Sox:
    Spaceman - I appreciate your response....But you are kinda making my point in that you do make your own "luck".....which means you can have it both ways....the Sox lost all their games not beause of "bad luck" but because they didn't play well enough.  I keep coming back because I am a fan and because I care.  The last year plus has been tough because they could have made the playoffs last year if they had just a little better pitching and this year they should be controlling the division and instead I see a lot of issues.....
    Posted by andrewmitch

Sure, I hear you man.  I just don't see the issues as things that won't work themselves out in the natural course of baseball.  Youk isn't going to keep channeling Mendoza.  Crawford will be Crawford.  Etc. etc.  When a team starts in a funk, I can't just assume that is just the way it is.  I am going to, basebd on experience, give them a month+ to work things out.  And they are staring to.  Obviously, the starting pitching is working out now.  Biggest question to me going into the season.  And, the hitting started miserable, but, in my eyes, is coming around.  6-3 on a west coast swing road trip is good, for any ballclub.  The seattle series was rough offensively, yes.  But there are clear signs of clicking.  They just haven't put it together yet.  But, and maybe I am naive, I trust that they will.  Serious hitters just don't become not serious hitters, unless its a juice thang.  About the only serious problem that I see right now that gives me pause going forward is Bobby Jenks.  I think I would seriously rather see Oki getting the ball in the Jenks innings and letting Bobby work it out at garbage time for a bit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The celebration was a good thing and completely appropriate.  It showed all of us how much these guys want to win. 

In the first inning with the bases loaded, Lowrie took a third strike--with a 3-2 count--on a pitch that was way outside.  If the umpire, who was erratic all afternoon, had called it a ball, a run scores and another batter comes to the plate.  Huge break for Seattle.

The uncaught fly to Ichiro was officially a triple in the box score.  Moreover, Lowrie doesn't score if Crawford doesn't get that hard single up the middle. 

Oh, and, while I think Jenks was pretty bad, he was definitely squeezed by the umpire who called several strikes balls. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No Pen = No Playoffs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i think the celebration was not only for a much needed win, but for a teammate, who had been struggling and picked up the team in front of the fenway faithful. the smile and relief on crawfords face told the story

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

I felt as if we were a bit fortunate to win yesterday's game but unlike Andrew I don't feel a compulsion to rush here and announce it with glee. There were three or four losses this year that we lost that we could have won if we had gotten more breaks. In many games the batters made great contact but hit it right at someone or to the wall. Where was Andrew then? It seems that Andrew is much like Softlaw in that he enjoys being a wet blanket and contrarian, it brings attention to a bitter, lonely, old man.

One quick comment on his politics. Andrew is an ultra right wing conservative who wants as little government as possible. He is against funding for the environment, medical research, and health care. Wouldn't God want all of his children to be his brothers' keepers. Would he want his children dying due to polluted air and water, no medical treatment, drugs, and breakthroughs. Does he want patients dying without adequate medical care. Who is this nasty God that Andrew worships? My God is a benevolent God and not one that says "Everyone for himself and nobody else".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday's game thread Mariners @ Sox:
    i think the celebration was not only for a much needed win, but for a teammate, who had been struggling and picked up the team in front of the fenway faithful. the smile on crawfords face told the story
    Posted by J-BAY

Agreed.  This was the first moment, and perhaps a defining moment, in which I saw this team as a TEAM.  I hope this joy for a struggling teammate breaking through carries the TEAM forward into May.  Maybe a little comraderie/chemistry mojo makes the difference.  Dunno.  baseball is a strange game that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

To force man to help anyone else against his will is slavery.  If you are forced to help, it isn't really giving.  Today, all we have is force. 

The only duty you owe to your fellow man is to not violate his right to life and property.  One does not owe any such duty to preserve another man's right to life and property; again only not to take it away.........again to be forced would be slavery and tryanny

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

What the hell are you talking about, AM?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

someone commented that people ought to "have to" (ie be forced to) help other people and build nations etc etc because that is God's Will and that is what being a Christian is all about...........no big deal.......I got work to do now....Catchyalater Dobs.........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

Andrew would prefer no fire department, no police protection, no municipal water and sewerage, no health depatment, highway department, and State and National parks. He'd be happy with an outhouse, dirt roads, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, and no penicillin, wild west law, and one room schoolhouses, and throwing garbage out his front window.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

wow, you are really missing the point aren't you, no big shock there

For the record, and to be sure you don't misguide others, I am in favor of Free Markets.

Sections
Shortcuts