Super Pitching Performance by Ranaudo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Super Pitching Performance by Ranaudo

6 innings. 2 hits. No walks. 9 punchouts. and get this.......

89 pitches  ...61 strikes.

The guy is now 3-0 with an ERA of 0.83 in AA. Houston, we have another lift off!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Super Pitching Performance by Ranaudo

Looking good!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Great news about everything!!

I'm so happy, I'm giddy...is that word??  Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Good to see because it wasn't a good night for other top prospects.

The PawSox won, but Bradley Jr. was 0-for-4 with 3 Ks and is now hitting .226; Bryce Brentz went 0-for-4 with 1 K and is now hitting .256 and commited an error; Iglesias went 0-for-4 with 2 Ks and commited his third error of the season; and is now hitting .245; and Allen Webster went 4.0 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 3 BB and 5 K. His ERA rose to 3.21.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Ouch!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We look to have 4 potential starting pitching studs coming up who have already achieved AA level and a number of other guys who look to have mlb potential as well at that level. How many teams can say that.

Prediction....by year end our farm will be considered one of the top 2 or 3 in baseball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boom, we used to all sit here and wonder why we never developed any young pitchers like some other teams. What a wonderful reversal of fortune!

I actually think we may be better off than we may imagine.

Beyond the obvious top prospects, we have several marginal prospects that may produce 1 solid starter, and many low level but promising young starters that show a lot of promise way down the road.

Webster

Barnes

Owens

de la Rosa

Ranaudo

Britton/Workman/Hernandez/Wright/Doyle

There are 7 SPs here that are not mentioned much, perhaps due to the bigger names up top, but I'm pretty sure at least 1 will end up being a significant value.

22 Brian Johnson

22 Pat Light

20 Frank Montas

20 Cody Kukuk

20 Ty Buttrey

18 Jamie Callahan

21 Simon Mercedes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Webster settled down after 1st inning. Not worried about it. Most good Pitchers, usually struggle in the 1st inning. Pitched well after that, no walks.
    Sometimes a humbling experience is good too, make him work harder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The PawSox won, but Bradley Jr. was 0-for-4 with 3 Ks and is now hitting .226; Bryce Brentz went 0-for-4 with 1 K and is now hitting .256 and commited an error; Iglesias went 0-for-4 with 2 Ks and commited his third error of the season; and is now hitting .245; and Allen Webster went 4.0 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 3 BB and 5 K. His ERA rose to 3.21.

he shouldve been kept here.....typical sox nonsense yo yoing players who should be here on the roster and staying...baseball is all mental...being demoted hurts more than it helps...case in point Bard

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

he shouldve been kept here.....typical sox nonsense yo yoing players who should be here on the roster and staying...baseball is all mental...being demoted hurts more than it helps...case in point Bard

Who should have made that start? It wasn't like he got called pitched for a while and was sent down. He was the 26th man on the roster and knew he was being sent down after the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Bard has to have an injury, I'm convinced of it. When I saw him in Double AA, he was hitting 100, now 93. Guys his age throw just as hard if not harder. Throwing wildly, not the Bard I remember. I wish the Sox would check him out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

6 innings. 2 hits. No walks. 9 punchouts. and get this.......

89 pitches  ...61 strikes.

The guy is now 3-0 with an ERA of 0.83 in AA. Houston, we have another lift off!

Nice. Thanks for the post.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Bard has to have an injury, I'm convinced of it. When I saw him in Double AA, he was hitting 100, now 93. Guys his age throw just as hard if not harder. Throwing wildly, not the Bard I remember. I wish the Sox would check him out.

no way he was hitting 100 unless it was a noncalibrated gun

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ranaudo looks like he is ready to fulfill the potential that we knew he had.  I don't know about Barnes. He may have been overrated. He dominated in low A , but has not been impressive since being promoted.  Webster had a bad outing, but should be okay. The future looks good. I would say that we all tend to go a little overboard on our young prospects. We need to temper our expectations a bit. Baseball is a tough game , and reality sets in at some point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Who should have made that start? It wasn't like he got called pitched for a while and was sent down. He was the 26th man on the roster and knew he was being sent down after the game.

That's a non-event for confidence issue.  He was a DH callup for one game.  Just like Lav is getting called upi for 3 games.  They both knew they were going down right away, so it does nothing to damage your confidence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I think Bard is going to get released soon. He has had ample time to right the ship and he has not done it. When you are brought into a game in the 8th inning up five runs and walk the first two guys you face its pretty much the end of the rope, given his history. An unfortunate end to a promising career is at hand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bard was stinking up the place, then he was sent down. It wasn't the other way around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Bard is going to get released soon. He has had ample time to right the ship and he has not done it. When you are brought into a game in the 8th inning up five runs and walk the first two guys you face its pretty much the end of the rope, given his history. An unfortunate end to a promising career is at hand.

'

You are looking at just recent history.

Bard was wrongly moved to the starter slot last year after a rough ending to 2011. He was demoted to the minors as a result, but it has basically been one year or poor performance after 3 years of pitching very well, including 2 years of being one of the best set-up men in MLB (2010-2011). Isn't that part of his "history" as well? 

While focusing on more recent history is usually a better indicator of what is to come,  it's not like 2010 and and 2011 are ancient history, and at Bard's age (27), it's not unreasonable to expect he may turn things around. He has options remaining, so there will be no DFA. He will be given every chance to prove himself the pitcher he was for parts of 2009, all of 2010, and most of 2011. That sample size is larger than the one from Sept '11 to today. It should not be disregarded.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Actually Bard sopke positive of the experience going to AA to work on things. And JBJ also understands and hasnt taken a negative approach to things. Sorry, but players understand more than fans do most of the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Ranaudo looks like he is ready to fulfill the potential that we knew he had.  I don't know about Barnes. He may have been overrated. He dominated in low A , but has not been impressive since being promoted.  Webster had a bad outing, but should be okay. The future looks good. I would say that we all tend to go a little overboard on our young prospects. We need to temper our expectations a bit. Baseball is a tough game , and reality sets in at some point.

Its good to see Ranaudo back to normal again after a years worth of groin issues that certainly messed with his performance. We are now seeing the "real" Anthony Ranaudo. As far as Barnes goes, I expected he wouldnt be as good as he was in Low A-ball. He started off slow at High A Salem, but adjusted nicely. I expect the same thing at portland. maybe even a little more of an adjustment period because of the advanced hitting in AA Eastern League. He had a great start recently against New Britan on the 19th. He'll have to concentrate on his secondary offerings more this year because he wont be able to get away with beating these guys with just a solid FB and just decent secondary pitches. Give him some time. He'll make the adjustments and work on his "stuff". Most guys always struggle a little to adjust to AA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

'

Bard was wrongly moved to the starter slot last year after a rough ending to 2011. He was demoted to the minors as a result, but it has basically been one year or poor performance after 3 years of pitching very well, including 2 years of being one of the best set-up men in MLB (2010-2011). Isn't that part of his "history" as well? 

While focusing on more recent history is usually a better indicator of what is to come,  it's not like 2010 and and 2011 are ancient history, and at Bard's age (27), it's not unreasonable to expect he may turn things around. He has options remaining, so there will be no DFA. He will be given every chance to prove himself the pitcher he was for parts of 2009, all of 2010, and most of 2011. That sample size is larger than the one from Sept '11 to today. It should not be disregarded.

Bard WAS excellent as a setup man until Sept 2011 when, after being overused out of necessity by his manager, he began his slide. Had he remained a setup man and had his mechanics not been messed with I think there was, then, a good chance he could have returned to form. As you know, that did not happen. When they foolishly tried to convert him to a SP they also got him to change his delivery and he has not been able to regain his former arm slot consistently in over a year. He has, in fact, given us no evidence whatsoever, even at the AA level, that he can help the ML team again at all. I think his time is up. I would DFA him and give him a chance to find work elsewhere.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am pretty certain Webster will work out for us, but I'll bet at least one or two out of Barnes, DLR, Ranaudo, Owens and Britton won't make a significant impact in the bigs. It just seems to happen that way with young starting pitcher prospects.

The shher quantity of good pitching prospects is what makes me feel so confident that a few will make it- some sooner than others, but never the less, we should have multiple infusions of good young pitching on the 25 man roster over the next several years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

'

Bard WAS excellent as a setup man until Sept 2011 when, after being overused out of necessity by his manager, he began his slide. Had he remained a setup man and had his mechanics not been messed with I think there was, then, a good chance he could have returned to form. As you know, that did not happen. When they foolishly tried to convert him to a SP they also got him to change his delivery and he has not been able to regain his former arm slot consistently in over a year. He has, in fact, given us no evidence whatsoever, even at the AA level, that he can help the ML team again at all. I think his time is up. I would DFA him and give him a chance to find work elsewhere.

Why such a short leash? It's not like he's taking up a 40 man roster slot from someone who can help us right now. Give him a longer look, even at AAA. The guy has some nasty stuff, even now. He has proven he can pitch well for over a full season in MLB. They messed him up last year, so it wasn't all his doing. 

He looked better in AA this year than AAA last season, so there are signs he is turning it around. The 1 IP sample size with the Sox this year should not be used to make such a rash decision. Come on- 1 IP!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

'

Why such a short leash? It's not like he's taking up a 40 man roster slot from someone who can help us right now. Give him a longer look, even at AAA. The guy has some nasty stuff, even now. He has proven he can pitch well for over a full season in MLB. They messed him up last year, so it wasn't all his doing. 

He looked better in AA this year than AAA last season, so there are signs he is turning it around. The 1 IP sample size with the Sox this year should not be used to make such a rash decision. Come on- 1 IP!

Absolutely agree. Why give up on him? You gotta have some patience in this game. Things sometimes dont happen right away. Like you said, hes not stopping anyone else by being on the team, and he looked pretty good in his 1st IP after he was promoted. Had a rough night last night, but at this point I still wouldnt just give up on him. Not yet anyway. He still has options.

Sections
Shortcuts