Survey: If you were manager, would you have played Bogaerts over Drew tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Survey: If you were manager, would you have played Bogaerts over Drew tonight?

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I might have played Bogey, but I understand why Drew was in there. Lots of good responses both ways.

I want to see Bogey just as much as everyone, but price was shutting everyone down last night. Not sure it would have mattered who was in there since we only could get 4 hits.

We won, its all good.

A good possibility that Bogaerts would not have gotten a hit off of Price either.  But I think there was a better chance of Bogaerts doing something than Drew.  I understand playing Drew because he is the regular shortstop and Farrell wants to show faith in him. That makes sense. But I think it was a legitimate question to ask.

I agree that its a legit question, and both sides have valid arguments.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Survey: If you were manager, would you have played Bogaerts over Drew tonight?

Sorry, southpaw, but we just don't agree.  To me playing the regular veteran SS in a pennant race game against your main rival in their weird park over a 20 year old rookie with a questionable glove is a no-brainer.  Bogaerts is undeniably talented and maybe even a superstar in the making, but right now he is still green at a position that begs for experience and above all consistency. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Bogaerts probably did have a better chance of getting a hit if he played, but it was still going to be a slim chance.  I think Farrell expected a low scoring game and went with the better glove.  As I recall, one of two CS's Salty had last night was actually a shorthopper which Drew caught smoothly and made the tag.  This is a serious pennant race, and last night was a pretty big game and a great, great win.   

So it does kind of bug me that ADG keeps attacking the manager who helped engineer the team's turnaround and who knows these players a whole lot better than we do--to say nothing about his knowledge of baseball in general. 

Yes, this is an open forum and all opinions are welcome.  That said, I cannot praise a fugitive and coistered virtue which is unwilling to sally forth and do battle in an open forum.  You want to show you're smarter than the manager?  Fine.  But be prepared to defend yourself. 

The good thing about ADG is he did in fact name Bogaerts before the game.  The less good thing is that it is now obvious--to me, anyway--Farrell made the right choice.  In a pennant race and playing your closest rival in their quirky park, go with the veteran SS, not the 20 year old rookie with a suspect glove.  The decision to play Drew was a no-brainer. 

Please read the original post and show me how it attacks Farrell, Manager of the Year. It was just a question "if you were manager". Don't read between the lines.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We don't know enough for this type of question,  Two key questions I'd ask are-

1-Was he expecting more GBs from Buchholz and looking to put out his best defense?

2-Was he trying to keep Bogaerts exposure to aces at a minimum?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The original post gives no consideration at all to defence.  That would have complicated things for him so he just ignored it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The original post gives no consideration at all to defence.  That would have complicated things for him so he just ignored it.

Just a lot of speculation.  These guys probably have their lineups set about a week in advance.  Trying to guess as to when our bench will get some ABs is just killing time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The radio crew made a good point tonight. They suggested that Farrell started Drew last night to make a point that Drew is the starting SS, Bogaerts is UT and there won't be platooning. \

Don't know if it's true, but Farrell has been adament that Drew is the starter and Bogey is a utility player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Bogaerts probably did have a better chance of getting a hit if he played, but it was still going to be a slim chance.  I think Farrell expected a low scoring game and went with the better glove.  As I recall, one of two CS's Salty had last night was actually a shorthopper which Drew caught smoothly and made the tag.  This is a serious pennant race, and last night was a pretty big game and a great, great win.   

So it does kind of bug me that ADG keeps attacking the manager who helped engineer the team's turnaround and who knows these players a whole lot better than we do--to say nothing about his knowledge of baseball in general. 

Yes, this is an open forum and all opinions are welcome.  That said, I cannot praise a fugitive and coistered virtue which is unwilling to sally forth and do battle in an open forum.  You want to show you're smarter than the manager?  Fine.  But be prepared to defend yourself. 

The good thing about ADG is he did in fact name Bogaerts before the game.  The less good thing is that it is now obvious--to me, anyway--Farrell made the right choice.  In a pennant race and playing your closest rival in their quirky park, go with the veteran SS, not the 20 year old rookie with a suspect glove.  The decision to play Drew was a no-brainer. 

Please read the original post and show me how it attacks Farrell, Manager of the Year. It was just a question "if you were manager". Don't read between the lines.

You're being disingenuous.  The OP lists everything negative about Drew and nothing positive, and the opposite about Bogaerts.  By not mentioning defense or experience, it strongly implies only a fool would go with Drew.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

SS belongs to Drew as long as he's healthy. Xander may get a game tonight and maybe one in the each series at home or until we clinch. There are a lot of meaningful games left:

--Clinch a WC, 

--Clinch the Div

--Best record for homefield throughout the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

I would sit Drew every night....at the end of the season I would sit him on a bus back to where ever he is from.

I would also sit Salty on that bus right next to Drew.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to sox4life2280's comment:

I would sit Drew every night....at the end of the season I would sit him on a bus back to where ever he is from.

Wow, just wow...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Yeah, that would've worked out well, in last nights game.

Particularly in the third inning, when Drew made a diving stop in the hole to end the inning, and the scoring threat.

Good plan!

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Dumb fans who know nothing about baseball.  Good thing Farrell is the manager of the team, not them!!

Yes Drew is in a slump right now, but the chemistry of the line up is working as well Drew is playing awesome defensively lately.  I do not think Bogaerts would have made that big play by Drew last nite where Rays would more like have won the 9 innings game last nite.

Drew will soon rest alot once Boston clinch the divisional title!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to sox4life2280's comment:

Hmmmm I wonder what poster this is an alias for...

I'm pretty sure Salty and Drew can pay their own way.  Just out of curousity would you offer either of these guys qualifying offers? 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sure sounds as though most of us think Farrell made the right choice.  In my case, I thought going with Drew Tuesday night was a no-brainer:  he's a veteran and better fielder at SS, where defense is important, and the Sox are in a pennant race in September and were playing at their key rival's quirky ballpark with artificial turf.  Anyone want to guess how many times Bogaerts has played on artificial turf?  I'm guessing none because he hasn't this year and there are no minor league clubs with artificial turf. 

I should have added I like Bogaerts a lot and am sure he is big part of the Sox's future.  Plus he is on the big club because of his bat right now, not necessarily because of his future value.  He's a good righty hitter on a team that has sometimes struggled against lefty starters like Price. 

On the other hand, Price is a cut above most or all lefties and last year's Cy Young award winner.  So Farrell correctly anticipated a low scoring game in which defense would be important, and he was dead on target.  The Sox got a total of four hits, but won with timely hitting (including a bunt and a sac fly to get the 2d run) and excellent pitching and defense.  Saltalmachhia nailed two Rays runners going to second. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

How is Bogearts not going to be on the playoff roster?

He HAS to be on it.  He's the 2nd string SS and can play 3B and even 2B in an emergency.

The question is will MacD be on it?  I think he has to be.

Berry will be on the roster; that's a given and why he was obtained. Does that leave room for MacDonald? I don't think so.

Line-Up             1. Ellsbury L CF 2. Victorino R RF 3. Pedroia R 2B 4. Ortiz L DH 5. Napoli R 1B 6. Salty S C 7. Middlebrooks R 3B 8. Nava S LF 9. Drew L SS           Rotation             1. Lackey R   2. Buck R   3. Lester L   4. Peavy R             Pen             1. Uehara R Closer 2. Breslow L   3. Tazawa R   4. Workman R   5. Morales L   6. Doubrant L             Bench             1. Ross R C 2. Lavarnway R C 3. Boegarts R IF 4. MacDonald R IF 5. Carp L 1B/LHPH 6. Bradley L OF/PR

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

How is Bogearts not going to be on the playoff roster?

He HAS to be on it.  He's the 2nd string SS and can play 3B and even 2B in an emergency.

The question is will MacD be on it?  I think he has to be.

Berry will be on the roster; that's a given and why he was obtained. Does that leave room for MacDonald? I don't think so.

Line-Up             1. Ellsbury L CF 2. Victorino R RF 3. Pedroia R 2B 4. Ortiz L DH 5. Napoli R 1B 6. Salty S C 7. Middlebrooks R 3B 8. Nava S LF 9. Drew L SS           Rotation             1. Lackey R   2. Buck R   3. Lester L   4. Peavy R             Pen             1. Uehara R Closer 2. Breslow L   3. Tazawa R   4. Workman R   5. Morales L   6. Doubrant L             Bench             1. Ross R C 2. Lavarnway R C 3. Boegarts R IF 4. MacDonald R IF 5. Carp L 1B/LHPH 6. Bradley L OF/PR

Well, Farrell is likely to carry 11 pitchers for the post season which that will leave 14 positional player.  The starters will be Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedy, Papi, Napoli, Nava, Salty, Drew, and Middlebrook.  Bench will be Gomes, Carp, Synder and probably Bogaerts.  Last could go to Berry cuz of Ellsbury.  No way that Bradley will be on the post season roster.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, Farrell is likely to carry 11 pitchers for the post season which that will leave 14 positional player.  The starters will be Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedy, Papi, Napoli, Nava, Salty, Drew, and Middlebrook.  Bench will be Gomes, Carp, Synder and probably Bogaerts.  Last could go to Berry cuz of Ellsbury.  No way that Bradley will be on the post season roster.

Perhaps JBJ will not make the playoff roster, but I'll bet he has a better chance than Snyder. He might have a better chance than Holt as well.

Berry vs JBJ is probably the big positional decision.

The pitching decision will come down to choosing 4 out of these guys:

Doubront, Dempster, Morales, Workman, Britton (Red are the faves)

(The sure 7: Buch, Lest, Peavy, Lack, Uehara, Taz, Bres)

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 17Again's comment:

Drew is the best player defensively and Farrell made the right choice.  At this point there is a chance that Boagaerts does not make the post season roster.

We need a utility IF'er.

Boggy is better than Snyder and Holt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

We need a utility IF'er.

But, not McDonald.

That's why he's here.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Your roster has no backup catcher (unless you are planning to stick Napoli in that slot): Ross takes one of those slots. 

Assuming your 14/11 split, I don't see Bogaerts on there either; his slot would go to McDonald because McDonald can play 2nd base.  Bradley will be on there only if Ellsbury can't go. 

Should something happen to Middlebrooks or Drew, Bogaerts could be added.  Ditto Bradley if something happens to Ellsbury during a series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to 17Again's comment:

Drew is the best player defensively and Farrell made the right choice.  At this point there is a chance that Boagaerts does not make the post season roster.

We need a utility IF'er.

Except we have no idea if he can play 2B (if something were to happen to Pedroia) and the playoffs are not the place to find out.  McDonald is the back-up IF.  Bogaerts might make the roster if they go with 10 pitchers or if something happens to Drew or Middlebrooks during a sereis or before October 4.  Same thing with Bradley if Ellsbury can't come back or reinjures the foot.

Sections
Shortcuts