Survey: If you were manager, would you have played Bogaerts over Drew tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Survey: If you were manager, would you have played Bogaerts over Drew tonight?

I don't know if you would want to use a roster spot for McDonald. His only purpose would be to provide insurance for the very unlikely possibility that Pedroia could not play. If you keep him and Berry , you have two non hitters. Between Bradley and Berry , it basically comes down to a pinch runner vs. a defensive replacement.I think they will keep Berry , due to the " Dave Roberts" factor.  ( I did notice the other day that, after nearly being picked off by Rivera , Berry became cautious and did not try to steal, thereby defeating his whole purpose.)  My picks for the bench are Bogaerts, Carp , Gomes , Bradley and Lavarnway. In reality, I think Farrell will take Berry and Ross over Bradley and Lavarnway.  Keep in mind that , if the Sox move on , the roster can be adjusted from one series to the next. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Survey: If you were manager, would you have played Bogaerts over Drew tonight?

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I don't know if you would want to use a roster spot for McDonald. His only purpose would be to provide insurance for the very unlikely possibility that Pedroia could not play. If you keep him and Berry , you have two non hitters. Between Bradley and Berry , it basically comes down to a pinch runner vs. a defensive replacement.I think they will keep Berry , due to the " Dave Roberts" factor.  ( I did notice the other day that, after nearly being picked off by Rivera , Berry became cautious and did not try to steal, thereby defeating his whole purpose.)  My picks for the bench are Bogaerts, Carp , Gomes , Bradley and Lavarnway. In reality, I think Farrell will take Berry and Ross over Bradley and Lavarnway.  Keep in mind that , if the Sox move on , the roster can be adjusted from one series to the next. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I'm mixed about Berry and Bradley. Berry could be a weapon as a pinch-runner, but Bradley brings more to the table. But I would take Ross over Lavarnway. I'd rather have Ross behind the plate in a tight situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Now that you are talking about playoff rosters, there's a good chance that Farrell only keeps 10 pitchers. This would leave him with one less bullpen arm, but they have two off days, one after game two and the other after game four. The no brainers are:

Uehara

Tazawa

Breslow

Dempster

After than, pick two from Workman, Morales, Doubront and Thornton, though Thornton isn't winning any friends with the .360 BAA lefties since he has joined the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav has it about right for the postseason.  9 regulars--Ells, Vic, Ped, Papi, Nap, Nava, Salty, Drew, MBR.  5 benchers:  Gomes, Carp, Bogaerts, Berry, and Ross.  4 starters:  Buch, Lester, Peavy, and Lackey.  7 relievers:  Uehara, Breslow, Tazawa and 4 more among Dempster, Doubront, Morales, Workman, and whoever. 

Why those?  Bogaerts for his bat, plus he can play SS or 3B (which would allow Middlebrooks to go to 2B in a pinch).  Berry for his base running, which we know can make a difference.  Ross is easily the best choice for backup catcher--Lavarnway is the better hitter, but ain't ready defensively.  The problem with Bradley is his hitting--we have already seen Gomes and Carp do far better, especially in clutch situations.  If Ellsbury is out, then Bradley just might one of the 5.  The four starters are unarguable barring injury.  As for the 7 relievers, those are anyone's guess after the first three.  Right now I lean toward Dempster, Morales, Workman, and Doubront, which gives Farrell four righties and three lefties.  Dempster and Doubront make me nervous because relieving is different, but both of them should be able to provide a good inning or two if needed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

moonslav has it about right for the postseason.  9 regulars--Ells, Vic, Ped, Papi, Nap, Nava, Salty, Drew, MBR.  5 benchers:  Gomes, Carp, Bogaerts, Berry, and Ross.  4 starters:  Buch, Lester, Peavy, and Lackey.  7 relievers:  Uehara, Breslow, Tazawa and 4 more among Dempster, Doubront, Morales, Workman, and whoever. 

Why those?  Bogaerts for his bat, plus he can play SS or 3B (which would allow Middlebrooks to go to 2B in a pinch).  Berry for his base running, which we know can make a difference.  Ross is easily the best choice for backup catcher--Lavarnway is the better hitter, but ain't ready defensively.  The problem with Bradley is his hitting--we have already seen Gomes and Carp do far better, especially in clutch situations.  If Ellsbury is out, then Bradley just might one of the 5.  The four starters are unarguable barring injury.  As for the 7 relievers, those are anyone's guess after the first three.  Right now I lean toward Dempster, Morales, Workman, and Doubront, which gives Farrell four righties and three lefties.  Dempster and Doubront make me nervous because relieving is different, but both of them should be able to provide a good inning or two if needed. 

Dempster has been a reliever before and was a good one for several years.  He's been fairly decent up through about 60 pitches but from 75 on, he really starts to falter.  I see him making the transition to the pen relatively easily.

Doubront often seems to take an inning or so to get going; not a good thing in a relief pitcher.